News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

How to write music fast

Started by dahans, November 06, 2013, 08:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

As Christmas is fast approaching, I was thinking about buying a new composing software/device/... whatever...
My question is... What is the fastest way to write music? Do you use tablets, or laptops? Which software?

I absolutely hate it to enter each note with the mouse on Finale, that takes an awful lot of time that I don't have.
Please help me :)
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

I recommend using a computer (laptop).
If I were you, I would buy Finale 2014.
For speed....I don't  know

JDMEK5

For speed a lot of people would recommend a MIDI controller. Most substantial keyboards come with MIDI integration. That'll let you literally play the notes onto the sheet. I haven't really done it myself though so I can't really explain how it works.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

mikey

There's a midi plug.  It's blue (at least ours is) and it goes from the back of the computer to the back of the keyboard.
unmotivated

JDMEK5

Sometimes you might need a MIDI interface to eliminate possible lag from the keyboard to the computer. A lot of people don't need it, (such as Nocturne here,) but I've heard it's sometimes necessary.

By the way, this MIDI capability in Finale is known as HyperScribe. A fitting name being faster than Speedy Entry.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

dahans

Ok.... how much does such a keyboard cost? Can you recommend me one?

Olimar12345

Have you only been using finale's simple entry method? I'd give the speedy entry/shortcut keys a try before going out and spending money on all of that equipment. The speedy entry is what makes finale bearable, really :P 
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

GaryOak

Learn to use LilyPond. It may take a while but once you know what you're doing you can just code away your music. No pointing, clicking or dragging.

http://www.lilypond.org/
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

SlowPokemon

I literally can't believe dahans made all those arrangements without bothering to learn any Finale shortcuts
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: dahans on November 07, 2013, 03:02:38 AMOk.... how much does such a keyboard cost? Can you recommend me one?
Well like Olimar's saying, you may want to try other methods before going MIDI. Keyboards can range in price from $80 to $300 (if you get all the useless goodies). If you go for it though, you have to be sure it has MIDI capabilities. Look for a MIDI Out line coming out the back. Ask lots of questions. Nothing's worse than taking something home and finding that it's not what you were looking for or doesn't work.

But if you go so far as to get a keyboard, I'd recommend one that has built-in speakers. Otherwise it's useless unless plugged into a computer. Which is really stupid. As for brands, try Yamaha. They're pretty solid. I've also heard good things about Casio. So they might be an option too. But stay away from M-Audio. That was my first keyboard which I never got to work and they never have built-in speakers. What I use currently is a Radio Shack Concertmate 990. It's a really nice keyboard. I can definitely recommend Radio Shack. (Last I remember hearing about the exact model, it's no longer in circulation. Although I'm not 100% sure about that so don't quote me on it)

One more thing on getting a MIDI keyboard is ask about the need for an interface. A new one usually ranges quite drastically in price, the cheapest I've seen being about $110. Of course, an acquaintance of mine found one at a pawn shop for $20. Try Ebay or something. But ask lots of questions about it because you may or may not need it. I'm a little fuzzy on all the details myself..

My Arrangements

dahans

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 07, 2013, 02:50:01 PMI literally can't believe dahans made all those arrangements without bothering to learn any Finale shortcuts
:P that was a pain in the ass
haha

Otherwise thanks for your help.
I bet I should learn all these shortcuts first, but the midi keyboard seems to be appealing most to me. Does finale support that? Do I need a special software for that?

Olimar12345

Finale supports that. It's called hyperscribe.

JDMEK5

As far as I know, all decent notation programs have that capability.

My Arrangements

dahans

Ok... thanks guys! I guess I will buy such a midi keyboard...
Another question: Which software is the best to write music that actually sounds like an orchestra? I mean... Finale is not really convincing at all. What do you use?
I have heard that there are libraries from the Vienna Philharmonics but they tend to be verrrrrrrrry expensive.