News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Jegilmer's Arrangements: New Paper Mario: TTYD!

Started by jegilmer, August 26, 2013, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

jegilmer

Quote from: maelstrom. on August 19, 2014, 12:27:20 PMFor starters just use an 8va for the first measure.

edit: And an 8vb also. Looks pretty good
and the note beaming could be fixed on measure 5
And I'd say it's in D Major, but I'm not 100% sure. It's still closer than C

Yeah I agree with you on the 8va/vb! And yeah there isn't too much to the piece so it's hard to tell the key, but you're right, the tonic is definitely D. So I'll just go with D major for now. I also edited the beaming on m. 5, 9, and 13.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

jegilmer

Here is a revised version of "Cortez Battle"! This is my favorite battle music from TTYD, so I really wanted to get this one done. I think it starts out in C minor then modulates to D minor in the middle, but someone should double check. It's a fast pace piece, so if anyone hears something wrong, let me know please!

And thanks to Jimbabwe for the previous version, it would have taken a good bit longer if I didn't have anything to go off of!

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Cortez Battle
PDF | .MUS | MIDI

Sebastian

Sebastian

Fixed it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3y3j46hu0l096i/Paper%20Mario--The%20Thousand-Year%20Door%20-%20Cortez%20Battle.mus

Here's what I did:
Measures 1 & 3 & 5: Changed last note to G
Measures 7 & 8: Fixed accidentals up
Measures 7-10: Changed the bass to make it accurate and easier for the player
Measures 11 & 12, 15 & 16: Fixed up the bass
Measures 11-18: Put right hand down an octave like in the original, added articulation and dynamics. And in the bass I fixed the notes. Nice job with articulation in those measures :) Thats exactly what I would of put.
Measures 19-26: Fixed the left hand. The notes and notation are correct but for the beaming, you'll have to ask someone else. I'm not sure...
Measure 28 (Last measure): I know the last 8 notes are incorrect so I just left them. I cant figure them out :/
- I added dynamics throughout
- I'm not sure about the Key at all. You'll have to ask someone else...
I recommend you invest in a FULL version of Finale. Finale Notepad is just bull.
And I recommend you head over to the Live Feedback Thread. Olimar looks over your sheets on tinychat and is very very very helpful and gives excellent suggestions and tips :)

Overall good job and keep up the good work!!!

Sebastian

Doopliss Theme
Measure 1: I'd use a 15va there for those high notes.
I am TERRIBLE with note beaming and I dont know at all what to tell you about this piece.
I'd ask someone who truly knows about this stuff: Jompa, Donvalentino, Olimar12345, Dekutrombonist.......
Probably Jompa or Don. Olimar and Deku are real busy.

NasiDe

Went through the Cortez arrangement just now and when I got to measures 10-18 I had to manually input what the notes were because they were so far above the staff. Wouldn't it be better to change to the treble cleff for that section?

jegilmer

Quote from: Ganondorf on August 31, 2014, 02:53:18 AMWent through the Cortez arrangement just now and when I got to measures 10-18 I had to manually input what the notes were because they were so far above the staff. Wouldn't it be better to change to the treble cleff for that section?

In the version I posted or Mariolegofan's update?

Thanks for the feedback! :D

jegilmer

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 20, 2014, 09:18:58 AMFixed it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3y3j46hu0l096i/Paper%20Mario--The%20Thousand-Year%20Door%20-%20Cortez%20Battle.mus

Here's what I did:
Measures 1 & 3 & 5: Changed last note to G
Measures 7-10: Changed the bass to make it accurate and easier for the player
Measures 11 & 12, 15 & 16: Fixed up the bass
Measures 11-18: Put right hand down an octave like in the original, added articulation and dynamics. And in the bass I fixed the notes. Nice job with articulation in those measures :) Thats exactly what I would of put.
Measures 19-26: Fixed the left hand. The notes and notation are correct but for the beaming, you'll have to ask someone else. I'm not sure...
Measure 28 (Last measure): I know the last 8 notes are incorrect so I just left them. I cant figure them out :/
- I added dynamics throughout
- I'm not sure about the Key at all. You'll have to ask someone else...
I recommend you invest in a FULL version of Finale. Finale Notepad is just bull.
And I recommend you head over to the Live Feedback Thread. Olimar looks over your sheets on tinychat and is very very very helpful and gives excellent suggestions and tips :)

Overall good job and keep up the good work!!!

Ok thanks! I'll look through and listen to the piece again to see if I agree with everything! Just so we can be sure that the arrangement is spot on! thanks though!

- Sorry it took so long to reply!

NasiDe

Oh whoops, no. I tried opening that earlier when I had the original open so it didn't update. Thanks for alerting me. XP

jegilmer

QuoteHere's what I did:

How do you know whether to use sharps or flats here? I used flats since it was descending chromatic scale, but it seems like they could be neighbor notes (sharps) like you had. It's sort of confusing.

Sebastian

Quote from: jegilmer on August 31, 2014, 02:58:56 PMHow do you know whether to use sharps or flats here? I used flats since it was descending chromatic scale, but it seems like they could be neighbor notes (sharps) like you had. It's sort of confusing.
Not sure. I have trouble with that too...

jegilmer

Alright, so after reading through and comparing scores and listening to the piece a lot more, here is what I updated:

Measures 1 & 3 & 5: Changed last note to G like you did

Measures 7 & 8: Fixed accidentals up like you did

Measures 7-10: Changed the bass to make it accurate and easier for the player like you did, however I added the slurs that we also had when that bass figure returned later in the piece (19-26). Also, there are two quarter notes in measure 10 that I keep hearing, so I left those in there.

Measures 11 & 12, 15 & 16: Fixed up the bass like you did

Measures 11-18: Put right hand down an octave like in the original, added articulation and dynamics. And in the bass I fixed the notes. updated this part as well.

Measures 19-26: Fixed the left hand. The notes and notation are correct but for the beaming, you'll have to ask someone else. I'm not sure...I'm not sure about the beaming either, I'll have to check. But I fixed the left hand like you pointed out, but I kept the notes I had for the right hand. Those are the notes I'm hearing. Actually, it sounds like I have the right notes, but there is also a D with each note, which makes it more difficult to play and very dissonant.

Measure 28 (Last measure): I know the last 8 notes are incorrect so I just left them. I'm not too sure about this part either. I even tried slowing the song down to figure it out and it was still really muddy.

jegilmer

Quote from: Ganondorf on August 31, 2014, 12:40:44 PMOh whoops, no. I tried opening that earlier when I had the original open so it didn't update. Thanks for alerting me. XP

haha it's ok!