Jegilmer's Arrangements: New Paper Mario: TTYD!

Started by jegilmer, August 26, 2013, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

In the intro, the only thing you're really missing is the the really low pitched drum (dunno what it is.) I did write out the into for fun a couple weeks ago, so while it's probably not accurate, feel free to use it for reference with the lower voice.

I think the rest up to measure 15 is right. The first 8 measures of the second page are... impossible for me to figure out. I think there's two melody voices who may or may not be doing the same thing, and two base voices, one I can't really hear at all (could also just be the lower melody one ._.)

I think till the end is close enough...? Yeah, I guess you've got everything written down that I can hear. There sounds like there's a lot more "hidden" voices, but I'm not sure they're worth looking for (this is song is so SPM it makes me sick.) I'll help you with accidentals and stuff when you get it into C-minor.

On another subject, reading through this thread, it looks like I promised you I'd do Sammer's kingdom. Forgot about that one! I'll start working on it, but bleh, I promise nothing. Whoever composed this stuff is insane.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Here is a copy of the intro with the correct notes (I think), tempo marking, and key signature: https://www.dropbox.com/s/32yi4p2lhcuhyx1/Hooktail%20Castle.mus

For the rest of the song.... I dont know how to give you advice or tell you what to change (unless I do it for you). This is a pretty tough song. If you would like me to fix it up for you (fix some notes, odds and ends, etc.) just tell me :) I wouldn't want to change your arrangement without your permission.

jegilmer

Quote from: FireArrow on May 27, 2014, 08:02:57 PMIn the intro, the only thing you're really missing is the the really low pitched drum (dunno what it is.) I did write out the into for fun a couple weeks ago, so while it's probably not accurate, feel free to use it for reference with the lower voice.

I think the rest up to measure 15 is right. The first 8 measures of the second page are... impossible for me to figure out. I think there's two melody voices who may or may not be doing the same thing, and two base voices, one I can't really hear at all (could also just be the lower melody one ._.)

I think till the end is close enough...? Yeah, I guess you've got everything written down that I can hear. There sounds like there's a lot more "hidden" voices, but I'm not sure they're worth looking for (this is song is so SPM it makes me sick.) I'll help you with accidentals and stuff when you get it into C-minor.

On another subject, reading through this thread, it looks like I promised you I'd do Sammer's kingdom. Forgot about that one! I'll start working on it, but bleh, I promise nothing. Whoever composed this stuff is insane.

Yeah I know right! It's awesome music though. But alright yeah I think it's the timpani, and I think your version was pretty accurate with the low voice I was missing.

Some of the voices get so low and muddy it's so hard to hear, I had to use a program to raise the whole piece an octave up so I could tell what those notes were!

There really are so many voices in this piece, it's hard to choose which ones are important and which ones you could leave out, but thanks for the advice and help!

Haha I wouldn't worry too much about Sammer's Kingdom, the only thing I really wanted was the main melody and it's there for the most part, but if you ever do get around to it, I'll definitely check it out!

jegilmer

jegilmer

Quote from: mariolegofan on May 28, 2014, 03:51:49 PMHere is a copy of the intro with the correct notes (I think), tempo marking, and key signature: https://www.dropbox.com/s/32yi4p2lhcuhyx1/Hooktail%20Castle.mus

For the rest of the song.... I dont know how to give you advice or tell you what to change (unless I do it for you). This is a pretty tough song. If you would like me to fix it up for you (fix some notes, odds and ends, etc.) just tell me :) I wouldn't want to change your arrangement without your permission.

That's up to you if you want to help out! I did not realize what I was getting myself into when I said I would transcribe this piece...Haha. There's so many different voices going on! But Ok, in the intro I keep hearing this voice that is playing an Eb that I notated in my version of the intro. Thanks for the feedback and help though!

Sebastian

Ok :)
Since you already submitted it, I'd let Olimar worry about it  :P

Quote from: jegilmer on May 28, 2014, 04:33:46 PMIt's awesome music though.
Haha! I love the music from this game too :)

jegilmer

Haha alright, plus I know there's a lot more paper Mario pieces you're probably working on.

Sebastian

Quote from: jegilmer on May 29, 2014, 06:38:05 AMHaha alright, plus I know there's a lot more paper Mario pieces you're probably working on.
Yeah, but if you need help I'd gladly help you :)

jegilmer

I couldn't help myself, while I was working on "Professor Frankly's Theme", I noticed this one, X-Mail (or Mystery E-mail I've seen it written as), was very short and needed to be done still, so I just went ahead and knocked it out. I'm pretty sure this one is 99.99% correct, but the rhythmic notation could probably be better, as well as the whole deal with the repeats. Please give feedback! Thanks.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - X-Mail
PDF | .MUS | MIDI

Sebastian

jegilmer

Ahhh yeah you're probably right. That would definitely clean up the notation a good bit, thanks!

jegilmer

So this piece was pretty difficult for me since I'm fairly new to this. There are some specific parts I need help with:
  • There are some parts that are impossible to play because the intervals are too large and because notes overlap in voices. I wasn't sure which voices to leave out and what octave they should be in, so I wanted other opinions on this.
  • I'm also not sure what key this is in, a lot of it sounds like it couple be some sort of Lydian, so I don't know what to put for the key signature
  • The last thing isn't too big of a deal, but I'm not sure about where the double bar lines should occur.
Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Professor Frankly's Theme
PDF | .MUS | MIDI

Sebastian

Sweet! Your done :)
Um....feedback:

In measures 1 & 2 (and other places like that) the bass and treble notes run together. Maybe you should change that. I'd put, in measure 1, E (below the staff) on beat one, E (in the staff) on beat 2 then E (below the staff) on beat 3 and E (in the staff) on beat 4 etc.

In measures 7 & 8 the bass notes are more than an octave apart and would NOT be possible to play on piano. I'd change that to a playable option.

In the last 4 measures, the notes run together (like in measures 1 & 2).

Nice work with your notes :) They sound good.....but the accidentals are a HUGE mess.
There should be a Key Signature. I want to say its in E Minor, but I'm not 100% sure.
You'll have to ask someone else (Jompa or Olimar).

Overall, Good Job!  ;D

Maelstrom

Not E minor. I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like a harmonic minor to me. Maybe A? And I think the first 2 lines are in the key of B major. Yeah, after listening to it again, it sounds like A harmonic minor.