News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Jegilmer's Arrangements: New Paper Mario: TTYD!

Started by jegilmer, August 26, 2013, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jegilmer

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 04, 2014, 03:10:25 PMSweet! Your done :)
Um....feedback:

In measures 1 & 2 (and other places like that) the bass and treble notes run together. Maybe you should change that. I'd put, in measure 1, E (below the staff) on beat one, E (in the staff) on beat 2 then E (below the staff) on beat 3 and E (in the staff) on beat 4 etc.

In measures 7 & 8 the bass notes are more than an octave apart and would NOT be possible to play on piano. I'd change that to a playable option.

In the last 4 measures, the notes run together (like in measures 1 & 2).

Nice work with your notes :) They sound good.....but the accidentals are a HUGE mess.
There should be a Key Signature. I want to say its in E Minor, but I'm not 100% sure.
You'll have to ask someone else (Jompa or Olimar).

Overall, Good Job!  ;D

Haha right, I wasn't sure if should raise the right hand an octave or lower the left hand an octave, because I believe those are the actual notes and I think they're in the right octaves. but in order for it to be playable, I guess I should raise one an octave so it still has the same exact line just an octave higher.

And for those large intervals...I know it's not possible, but I went ahead and transcribed both lines, but I wasn't sure which one to omit.

And last but not least! the key signature...so apparently this piece modulates a decent amount. So I was taught that "if a piece modulates a good bit, then you don't add key signatures changes every few measures. Instead just leave it in the key that the piece is in most of the time." Can someone elaborate on whether this is the preferred way of doing this or not?

Anyway, so I agree with maelstrom that this piece is in A harmonic minor (or actually E dominant phrygian) majority of the time. Which the key signature would be no sharps or flats right?

Thank you both for the feedback though! :) I'm trying to learn how to improve!

Sebastian

Quote from: jegilmer on June 04, 2014, 07:05:44 PMThank you both for the feedback though! :) I'm trying to learn how to improve!
Your welcome! :)
Happy to see that you want to improve and arrange more :)

FireArrow

Quote from: jegilmer on June 04, 2014, 07:05:44 PMAnd last but not least! the key signature...so apparently this piece modulates a decent amount. So I was taught that "if a piece modulates a good bit, then you don't add key signatures changes every few measures. Instead just leave it in the key that the piece is in most of the time." Can someone elaborate on whether this is the preferred way of doing this or not?

I don't think there's a specific rule, but there are certain ways that are more desirable based on the style of the piece. If the modulations separate sections of the music (best way I can put it),  then you should probably notate it. If they flow with the piece, then don't.

Example of one you should notate modulations.
Example of one you shouldn't.

For this song, I'd personally do so. Really, the only important case in which people will bug you is if you notate key signatures in a fugue (or anything baroque/following that pattern for that matter.)
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

jegilmer

Oh Ok that makes sense! Thanks for the examples and the explanation. And I'll go ahead and make some changes to the pieces that I've just worked on.

jegilmer

Actually when I listen to the piece again, it seems like most of the piece is in some modes based on e. But I might be wrong. Except for maybe the intro bit and the last theme which could possibly have the key signature for B Major. Is that right?

Maelstrom

Quote from: jegilmer on June 05, 2014, 08:45:08 AMExcept for maybe the intro bit and the last theme which could possibly have the key signature for B Major. Is that right?
Yep. Just what I said.

jegilmer

Ok so I've updated my score for Frankly's Theme, let me know if this looks a little better. I still need to find out which voice to drop in the left hand at measures 7 and 8, so disregard that for now.

Sebastian

Where is the link with the revised version? They one on the front page is the old one.

jegilmer

That's weird, it's working for me. Does it have the key signature for B Major in the first measure? It still looks very similar to the older version. But if it's not working maybe I can try reposting the link

jegilmer

Ohhhhh I forgot to update the finale file. Thanks for pointing that out!

jegilmer

Quote from: maelstrom. on June 05, 2014, 09:02:46 AMYep. Just what I said.

Sorry, should've said I agree with you on that. I wasn't trying to seem like I was ignoring you or anything

Sebastian

Ok :)
What ones from TTYD are you planning to do next?

jegilmer

Awesome. This is probably more than I can do, but the ones I would like to do are:
Hall of the Thousand-Year Door (working on), Doopliss Theme (Not Battle Theme), Boggly Woods, Mysteries of the Glitz Pit, and Cortez Battle (Replacement).

The ones I want to do the most after Hall of the Thousand-Year Door are:
Doopliss Theme and Cortez Battle

Sebastian

Quote from: jegilmer on June 06, 2014, 08:38:56 PMAwesome. This is probably more than I can do, but the ones I would like to do are:
Hall of the Thousand-Year Door (working on), Doopliss Theme (Not Battle Theme), Boggly Woods, Mysteries of the Glitz Pit, and Cortez Battle (Replacement).

The ones I want to do the most after Hall of the Thousand-Year Door are:
Doopliss Theme and Cortez Battle
Great! :)
I did Mysteries of Glitz Pit (Mysteries of the pit) and its on the site already.

jegilmer

Oh dang! Haha someone's a little oblivious :p haha sorry. But I'm going to have to download that sheet then!