News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Surprise! Updater's Update (August 10th, 2013)

Started by Olimar12345, August 10, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

MaestroUGC

Winter may not have the training that Olimar has when it comes to theory, but he does know enough of the basics to notice any glaring errors. Formating is universal and all of the updaters should be able to handle it.

That's why I'm saying give Winter the veterans to wokr with, since their stuff is usually top notch and requires minimal, if any, editing for accuracy or formatting.

And, to show you how becoming a Veteran/Skilled Arranger works, this is what I had in mind:

Say Person A has been contributing regularly for a few months, and his sheets have been meeting our standards. Either,
 A) The updaters will notice him, or
B) He approaches an updater about moving up to the Veteran's Thread.

At this point at least two of the updaters will will then look at his accepted submissions ofer the past few upadtes, and his current backlog, if he has one. They would also ask for some opinions about Person A from other Vets about whther they think he's ready.

If the updaters agree he's reached a point of Quality, Accuracy, and has a firm understading of the art of arranging, they will then promote him.

If the updaters don't think he's ready, or are split, then he will remain in the Newbie Thread until the updaters see an improvement.

I don't care if you've been playing and arranging for the piano all of your life, your first submission for this site will be in the Newbie Thread. It is by far the best way to judge your quality of arranging, and it's also a good place to get noticed very quickly if you are really skilled at this.

I also propse that if we do enact this new system, any and all submission will be handled under the Newbie thread. After the initial update, we can then move the appropriate peoples to the Skilled Thead by having the staff review them then and there.

Just because you've been at this for a long time doesn't grandfather you into the fast lane. You will still have to go through the whole process just like anybody else.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

YES. Thank you so much for saying that--I was gonna suggest everyone start in the newbie thread but didn't want to piss people off.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Clanker37

progress. So much progress. ;v;

Maybe we should have a rubric for Veterans to show the Newbies how to become a Veteran. Like the Task Sheet you get at school that outlines exactly what you have to do to get an A in an assignment. It would make the decision for promotions from Newbies to Veterans easier to make to since you have a physical standard of Veterans, which is neutral and must be achieved by all. And it would be the quick answer to the constant 'how do i becom vetran' question we're bound to make a drinking game out of. Just an idea.

Oh and this is brilliant btw.

MaestroUGC

Sure, there are some things that would be easy to judge, like consistent formatting of the sheets, but some other would be gray according to the matter of interpretation.

This is stuff like Accuracy, Playability, and then you'd have to take into account things like their proficiency in Music Theory to be able to provide high quality music with their arrangements.

Since the updaters would have to judge all of this in the first place, it'd be better to just have them analyze it in private rather than say "Here's a Rubric for promototion" and have them assume their stuff is up to quality.

There's no way to establish a 80% Playability minimum accross all sheets since that's not how music works on any fundamental level. But I would rather differ this to the updaters, but what ever they decide on has to be agreed upon by the entire update staff.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

This is a great idea. Also means I'm going to have to clean out my arrangement thread of all my old stuff... :P (Oh well; it's been a long time coming anyways)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Jub3r7

This sounds awesome in theory, but realistically there is always something that doesn't turn out how we expected it to. What are the disadvantages of this system? How can we deal with them?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Bubbles

The only one I can think of right now is that if either one if the updates goes on hiatus, an entire section of nsm will be neglected

KefkaticFanatic

The disadvantage is pretty much the same one its always been.

The updaters generally become busy with personal lives and can't spend as much time on forum.  Working full time or being university student seems to be the standard cause.

me irl
[close]

FireArrow

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 14, 2013, 11:43:39 PMWinter may not have the training that Olimar has when it comes to theory, but he does know enough of the basics to notice any glaring errors. Formating is universal and all of the updaters should be able to handle it.

On the other side of the coin, the mistakes veteran arrangers make are gonna be very obscure, not glaring.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Olimar12345

Quote from: FireArrow on August 15, 2013, 09:37:29 PMOn the other side of the coin, the mistakes veteran arrangers make are gonna be very obscure, not glaring.

This is what I was worried about.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Winter

I am not /that/ bad. If I feel like a sheet is missing something, I usually consult another person. Please stop assuming I will just throw it all in a pile and upload it.

I assure you I can handle it. the difference now is that It will only need one seal of approval, so if a sheet is looking good, it won't have to sit through a rigorous process when it's really unnecessary. There is ALWAYS something that can be better in somebody else's opinion.

I play piano very frequently, I know what sheet music needs to look like, and I'll be playing verses on my own piano as well. What do you THINK I do?

SlowPokemon

I think they're confusing you with Shadowkirby ::)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: FireArrow on August 15, 2013, 09:37:29 PMOn the other side of the coin, the mistakes veteran arrangers make are gonna be very obscure, not glaring.
I say obscure mistakes are better than obvious.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

spitllama

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on August 15, 2013, 09:18:27 PMeither one of the updates

I was kind of curious about this from the start. Would updates be exclusive to each other?

Like it sounds to me right now that those in the veteran thread will be people who arrange sheets which require virtually no fixes (the Bespinbens, Olimars, Dekus, Slows, & Shadoninjas of the group). That leaves a lot of other types of arrangers in the second one. Anywhere from first-timers, to people who have been arranging for a while but lack good music theory, to people who just don't friggin check their posts for critiques.

I'm assuming that "Accepted" means the same in both tiers and that they'll be merged when the time comes for either thread to be updated?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012