Surprise! Updater's Update (August 10th, 2013)

Started by Olimar12345, August 10, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

The entire reason I was always so adamant about a two step update system was that we would be getting multiple arrangements from the same people with the same issues.  The purpose of thorough checks is a) to stop a bunch of garbage from getting back on the site and b) to teach less experienced arrangers the proper way to write their arrangements.

The whole sectioned off method seems like a great solution, as it adds an incentive for continuing to improve and show improvement, rather than just thinking "well they'll just fix it up in review".

I still think there should be double approval around for the newbies and people that haven't quite built up the skills to consistently churn out high quality arrangements.  However my impression was that most of the backlog was from the more experienced bunch that would hopefully only need single checks, so it should help clear that up.

me irl
[close]

Winter

This proposition is an attempt at resolving that quality issue. Beginner arrangers will be getting much more attention paid to them, allowing those sheets to be brought up to par. The issue before had to do with a sort of empathy! I'd feel bad for a user, and when a sheet felt good enough, I'd not want to leave them out. Now I can get back to moving through the arrangers with a reputation for being accurate and formatting correctly. I'm not going to be checking for nothing, however, I will be able to be the second perspective on a sheet that is needed to weed out these mistakes.

We all know I strive to /lower/ the amount of mistakes on the website, you've seen the 'errors' thread. I will pay just as much attention to sheets. Having a second updater way behind/ahead of me or just plain on the wrong page will again make this process take exponentially longer.

Basically, take this opportunity or leave it. I work best as a single unit.

EDIT: Glad you agree, Kefka, there's a lot of nice arrangements in the backlog some of our arrangers have. It would really be nice to see them make it up to the main site!

spitllama

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on August 14, 2013, 02:53:13 PMIt adds an incentive for continuing to improve and show improvement, rather than just thinking "well they'll just fix it up in review".

Completely agree.

I like the idea. Still think there should be two approvals for the "beginner thread" thing though.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

K-NiGhT

This idea is the best thing that's probably happened here in quite a while. I think.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

FireArrow

I really like this idea Maestro!

Quote from: Winter on August 14, 2013, 03:00:45 PMBasically, take this opportunity or leave it. I work best as a single unit.

Rather than having you and someone else work together, you could have it as a 2 step process (First you get Winter to Approve it, then you send it on to another updater to do quick double check.) It does seem like it'd take longer, but it probably be faster than having have two updaters work at once.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

K-NiGhT

...isn't that pretty much what we've been doing?

Yugi

What seperates a Veternerian/skilled arranger from a newbie arranger?

K-NiGhT

First off, a veteranarian is a doctor for animals and an arranger recreates songs with different instrumentation and ideas.

Yugi

FireArrow

Quote from: K-NiGhT on August 14, 2013, 04:50:04 PM...isn't that pretty much what we've been doing?

Not at all. We'd still have the advanced/newbie arrangers, it's just an idea to to have 2 approvals without winter having to work with someone for the advanced group.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

K-NiGhT

SlowPokemon

I have to say that the feature of having to have TWO updaters approve your arrangement SUCKS. It just doesn't make sense; if one mod OKs it there should be no need for a second opinion. Especially when there's never a second person around....
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

That was done, and there was the issue of a large number of problematic arrangements being uploaded.

That is why the two part system makes more sense.

me irl
[close]

K-NiGhT

but now we have more people that know what they're doing with music theory so it's not as bad.

SlowPokemon

Well, a part of it is always going to be really bad.

I'm just saying that if someone like Olimar, who really knows his shit, approves it, there's not much need for another mod to come say "yeah ok you're fine."
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.