Surprise! Updater's Update (August 10th, 2013)

Started by Olimar12345, August 10, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

In order for a sheet to go on the site, it has to be checked by an updater. They would need to talk one on one in a chat of some sort, or else take the slower process (the editing comments in the submissions thread,). Not every arranger has the time to have their sheets checked in real time in the chat, so they have to use the slower method. If Olimar and Deku got together, it wouldn't take nearly as much time for them to check each others sheets than it would for the same amount of other arranger's sheets .

This was just to try to keep updates continuous instead of no sheets for months. Its not like they stopped checking the other arrangers sheets, so they're not neglecting the rest of the site. I don't really see why theres a fuss

MaestroUGC

I'm not begrudging them for content, far from it.

I just don't see why, since according to Olimar:

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2013, 01:25:56 PMOften times our updating staff gets so caught up in reviewing, revising, and uploading other member's sheet music that our own sheets can end up neglected.

They don't just throw a few of their own sheets with the standard updates. This came across more as a "Look at us and what a good job we do!" rather than an earnest update.

If the update was smaller (like something to match the other ones) or they mixed it in with another, then it'd be fine. I know the process as they do it is slow and tedious, but when you do this when so many others have been trying to get their stuff through, quite literally one at a time, to just side-step them is like a slap in the face. Most submitters only get 2 sheets per udpate, and they have to go through the whole process too, not just the updaters; and to turn around and say "Here's a bunch of our stuff, yay!" betrays their job.

Olimar has been approached to look at sheets many times over the past few weeks, months even, and he's said he was busy. Fair enough. But then he turns around and does this, it seems a bit disingenuous. You can't say "I'm working on the site" and then ignore part of your job.

Plus, I thought that they put an end to these "Highlighted Arranger" updates?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MaestroUGC

And let me reiterate that I'm not saying they do a bad job, nor that I don't appreciate all this content.

I'm just saying that this comes across as glory hounding.

K-NiGhT

I feel like while it came across as glory hounding, this was probably a good way to finally have an update. It's easy to check your own sheets for quality if you're the one who decides what quality truly is. It makes it easier to make a bigger update with more content. It may not have been the best way to go about it, but it's an update. We don't get those a whole lot.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

MaestroUGC

Well if they are going to glory hound at least let me have one!

K-NiGhT

True, but then they'd have to search through all your sheets to find any details that may be missing. Of which I'm sure there'd be none since you are great as it is, but still. It's just a little more time consuming, is all i'm saying. I'm sure Olimar or Deku will back me up on this.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

MaestroUGC

They're not here, so let me bash them behind their backs in peace!

FireArrow

Bubbles pretty much summed it up. Let's just be happy that there's an update and look forward to the next one.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Olimar12345

Popping in while I have signal and I see this.
Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 12, 2013, 05:51:45 PMExactly. It's quite frustrating as an arranger. It's fine that you care more about your own arrangements but part of an updater's duty is to submit others' sheets too.

This fills me with sadness. Do you honestly feel this way, slow? Do you know how long it takes it upload sheets to the site? They have to be done one by one-this took me quite some time to do, you know. It literally takes forever to get enough quality arrangements for a decent update. I thought this would be a great way to get a quick update, with as many quality sheets as possible, before the semester started.

And yeah, slow, let me tell you how I'm ignoring you and maestro, two "arrangers" who haven't even posted in the update topic in months.

Good thing school is starting soon, I could use that as an excuse to not do updates...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Winter

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 13, 2013, 01:17:18 AMDo you know how long it takes it upload sheets to the site?

10 seconds. Either of you can call/email me 24/7 and I'll upload 1000 sheets if you tell me to.

I do like the idea of you guys spending the time you use arranging stuff and putting a bit of it towards checking others. I know from experience it takes a little bit of effort letting the arranger know "hey i finally looked at it after 3 months, would you please take a second to look at the edit?"

I usually get a response in a few hours, and at the most, a few days.

I have to spend a lot of my time studying for school now, but if you guys need a hand, just freaking ask, I'm not 'gone' as you put it. I spend hours upon hours at my computer, just communicate. And try not to use the uploading process as an excuse, it's tedious, but damn easy. If it's difficult, batch send me the sheets and I'll do it.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 12, 2013, 05:51:45 PMduty

Haha, you said duty! No really. We took on this job to help other people's sheets see the light of day, to make other people's hard work see the world. Your sheets can go up any day of the week if you have time. It's your 'duty' to put others first. I never did see those sheets, so they would have only gotten one 'approval', eh, eh? It's the quick and easy way out of not posting an update in a while, yes, but we're not here to take the easy way out. Right?

Dude

^How about shut up and grab some popcorn. This is the most drama I've seen all week! Keep going!

Olimar12345

Quote from: Winter on August 13, 2013, 02:27:39 AM10 seconds. Either of you can call/email me 24/7 and I'll upload 1000 sheets if you tell me to.

Firstly, it took me much longer than that. Don't forget that replacements take twice as long as new additions. The entire process took me roughly three hours last Saturday.

Secondly, winter-you may not have technically gone anywhere, but you sure aren't around the forums anymore. I don't even think to contact you about updates anymore. :/ just sayin.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 12, 2013, 07:00:58 PMOlimar has been approached to look at sheets many times over the past few weeks, months even, and he's said he was busy. Fair enough. But then he turns around and does this, it seems a bit disingenuous. You can't say "I'm working on the site" and then ignore part of your job.

FYI, maestro, I am a full time student who also happens to work 30-40 hours a week. Ill admit that summer school wasn't that bad this year, but I still didn't have the amount of down time I had been used to before transferring schools. I should be spending my free time practicing my trombone, or finishing some compositions for my junior recital.

I have answered most/all of the calls to the LF thread, and in case you didn't notice, I usually delete the post that said I was online to avoid confusion to later thread viewers. Even if I uploaded the sheets I have checked there since the last update, the update would only have about 8-10 sheets from firearrow and yugi.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Winter

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 13, 2013, 10:22:35 AMSecondly, winter-you may not have technically gone anywhere, but you sure aren't around the forums anymore. I don't even think to contact you about updates anymore. :/ just sayin.

Okay but I am here. So no excuses! XD
If you need me to post once a day so you feel like you can talk to me, I can O.o