Finding the Percussion MIDI Map

Started by spitllama, July 26, 2013, 08:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

There have been at least a few arrangements on NSM that use things like hand claps and foot stomps. I can't seem to find the MIDI map for them anywhere...

MakeMusic help says to go to Utilities -> Change Instrument, but I can't find that option in Finale 2011 xD.
My next attempt was to go to the ScoreManager and assign the measure to a specific layer, and then place that layer on channel 10 (the channel for percussion), but that also came back fruitless.

Anyone familiar with what to do?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

JDMEK5

What you do is:

1) Go to 'Window' then 'Score Manager'.
2) Hit 'Add Instrument' then find the kind of percussion you want and double-click it.
3) Make sure the channel on that staff is set to 10.
4) Using the score manager you can alter the notation style, clefs, etc.

I hope gave you the answer to the question you were asking right?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

spitllama

Does this require me to have a new staff solely for that instrument? I'm hoping to have just one measure, right hand of the piano, that uses hand clap and then reverts to piano in the next measure.

Also there's no Score Manager in the Window menu :( Is this accurate for 2011?
Submissions Page

Jompa

You can just hide that staff though - that's what I do.
And then you can "mute" that piano note with a hidden pppp, and assign an expression that says "hand clap" or "foot stomp".

I really don't think you can make just one measure of the staff to percussion.
Birdo for Smash

JDMEK5

Try highlighting stuff. I was surprised at how much I could isolate and edit separately from everything else.

As far as the ScoreManager goes, I was giving instructions for 2012, but do whatever it takes you to get to the ScoreManager. If no such thing exists in 2012, I can't help you.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

spitllama

I found that it is possible to make mid staves turn to percussion, see here (7th post, first attachment). Not sure how to do it but figured I'd give an example in case either of you were curious.

But anyhow I've been following both of your advice and it's worked great. The only thing I can't seem to get is hiding the staff Jompa. I can only manage to hide empty staves, which still shows the one staff that actually has the clapping on it.
Submissions Page

Jompa

How to hide a staff:

1. Select Staff Tool
2. Click on staff you want to hide (Like you do when you want to change the name of a staff)
3. There should be a little clickable box where it says "hide staff". If you click that, the staff will be invisible when you click "OK"

If you want the staff visible again, you'll have to select a different staff, and through that you can kinda scroll into the hidden staff and meddle with it's options again.

The stuff you came with seems quite helpful actually! I'll have to check it out!
Birdo for Smash

spitllama

Quote from: Jompa on July 29, 2013, 02:38:36 PM(Like you do when you want to change the name of a staff)

This is the part I was missing. I was clicking on the small box inside the first measure which didn't work. Thank you Jompa!

I make things way more difficult than they really are xD
Submissions Page