News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[NES] Mega Man 2 - "Intro"

Started by monkeybull223, June 19, 2013, 08:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeybull223

Completed by Zeila
I would very much like to learn how to play the intro theme from Mega Man 2.  And I can't find any decent sheets of it anywhere.  Could one of you fine arrangers help me out on this? 
Thanks! ;D
Pokemon Master, Percussionist (Marimbist/Timpanist/Marching Snare and Tenors), BAND GEEK! and all around nice guy (at least i think so).

Dudeman

Do you want just the intro theme, or do you want the title theme with it? On the official soundtrack they're two different pieces.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

monkeybull223

Quote from: Dudeman on June 19, 2013, 09:30:34 AMDo you want just the intro theme, or do you want the title theme with it? On the official soundtrack they're two different pieces.
both parts would be perfect.  pretty much, all of the music from the video posted.
Pokemon Master, Percussionist (Marimbist/Timpanist/Marching Snare and Tenors), BAND GEEK! and all around nice guy (at least i think so).

blueflower999

Isn't part of this song also the credits for Mega Man 1? Oh, and I think it's in 4 somewhere as well.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Dudeman

^ Yes and yes. The first half of the "Intro" is the first half of the "Ending" theme from MM1. The title theme was also transposed into Ab for the "Staff Roll" theme in MM4.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm willing to accept the request, since it's summer and I need something to arrange.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Echo

Coincidentally, I started the opening theme today, so I'll probably have all the notation down tonight, and hopefully I'll have it done by tomorrow if I find the time. Dudeman, if you don't mind, can I just finish the opening part, and then you can cover the title screen theme?

If you want to see what I have so far:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30676753/MM2%20-%20Opening.mus

Basically, I lowered the octave of one of the parts because it doesn't sound great on the same octave as the melody. To play it though, you need to use a combination of the left and right hands, so I have to label when to use which hand, etc. Almost done, just need to get the rest of the notes down then format the sheet properly, along with figuring out the tempo.

monkeybull223

Quote from: Echo on June 19, 2013, 07:28:58 PMCoincidentally, I started the opening theme today, so I'll probably have all the notation down tonight, and hopefully I'll have it done by tomorrow if I find the time. Dudeman, if you don't mind, can I just finish the opening part, and then you can cover the title screen theme?

If you want to see what I have so far:

Basically, I lowered the octave of one of the parts because it doesn't sound great on the same octave as the melody. To play it though, you need to use a combination of the left and right hands, so I have to label when to use which hand, etc. Almost done, just need to get the rest of the notes down then format the sheet properly, along with figuring out the tempo.

Quote from: Dudeman on June 19, 2013, 02:37:26 PM^ Yes and yes. The first half of the "Intro" is the first half of the "Ending" theme from MM1. The title theme was also transposed into Ab for the "Staff Roll" theme in MM4.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm willing to accept the request, since it's summer and I need something to arrange.

Thanks to both of you!

Echo

Sorry, not quite done yet. I have most of the notes down though:

The part I'm having trouble with is the last couple of measures. I think on the last measure I have, the left hand should play 12 triplet eighths, with the first three being 'A's and the rest of them 'F's. After that, for the "fall" effect, I think the right hand should start at a high D#, then descend across the scale (including flats, so go over both white and black keys).

But yeah, that's the main thing that's stopping me from finishing, because I can't really tell the pitches at the end of the song, and I want to be sure on them.

Besides that, if you still want to practice with what I've done so far:
Measures 5-6: Play the second layer with the left hand, with the fourth/eighth note in each measure played with the right hand (you can do something similar for measures 7-8 too if you want)

Measures 9-10, 12: Use the left hand for the first three eighth notes, use the right hand for the last eighth note and the half note.

Measure 11: You're gonna need to reach a tenth with your right hand. Use the right hand to play the second layer except for the lowest note (the second one), which you play with the left.

Measures 13 onwards: Play a bit faster (I'll try to figure out the exact tempos next time)

I'll put the stuff I mentioned above in the final sheet, but it's kinda cramped right now, so I have to find a way to make some room for it. Just wanted to let you know now, since with the sheet as it is, and with what I mentioned, you should be able to have an idea of how to play the song even though I haven't finished the last bit.

monkeybull223

Quote from: Echo on June 24, 2013, 02:42:48 AMSorry, not quite done yet. I have most of the notes down though:

The part I'm having trouble with is the last couple of measures. I think on the last measure I have, the left hand should play 12 triplet eighths, with the first three being 'A's and the rest of them 'F's. After that, for the "fall" effect, I think the right hand should start at a high D#, then descend across the scale (including flats, so go over both white and black keys).

But yeah, that's the main thing that's stopping me from finishing, because I can't really tell the pitches at the end of the song, and I want to be sure on them.

Besides that, if you still want to practice with what I've done so far:
Measures 5-6: Play the second layer with the left hand, with the fourth/eighth note in each measure played with the right hand (you can do something similar for measures 7-8 too if you want)

Measures 9-10, 12: Use the left hand for the first three eighth notes, use the right hand for the last eighth note and the half note.

Measure 11: You're gonna need to reach a tenth with your right hand. Use the right hand to play the second layer except for the lowest note (the second one), which you play with the left.

Measures 13 onwards: Play a bit faster (I'll try to figure out the exact tempos next time)

I'll put the stuff I mentioned above in the final sheet, but it's kinda cramped right now, so I have to find a way to make some room for it. Just wanted to let you know now, since with the sheet as it is, and with what I mentioned, you should be able to have an idea of how to play the song even though I haven't finished the last bit.
at measure 13, in my experimenting, i've found to be around 130 bpm (quarter notes) and at the fastest section, i've found to be around 160 bpm.