News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Should host sign-up topics be made after the current game is finished?

Started by Bird, May 27, 2013, 01:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should host sign-up topics be made after the current game is finished?

Keep things as they are now: sign-ups overlap current game.
5 (35.7%)
Change things! Make sign-up topics after current game is completed.
5 (35.7%)
Other (explain)
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 29, 2013, 01:01:21 PM

Bird

Hey everyone! A couple of people expressed that they thought that host sign-up topics were coming up too quickly. I think they might prefer it if they were only put up after the current game was completed. There's pros and cons to each system:

Putting sign-ups up during current game
+ Little down-time between games
- Too many games too quickly could lead to burnout
- Players may feel rushed or want a break
- A player might be too busy to both play and post/analyze game in sign-ups

Putting sign-ups up after current game
+ Gives players a break
+ Gives players time to think about games they want to post/vote for
- Puts a large delay in between games

And there are other more extreme ideas as well. Maybe we should wait a week after the current game ends before putting up the next sign-up topic? I don't know! Just tell us what you all want, and if it's reasonable, we'll make it happen.

(2:19:33 AM) Tutan: i don't know how to twg anymore
(2:19:46 AM) bird: its easy you just yell at someone til they die

Toby

I voted other.

I'd prefer if the host signups went in the middle of the current game BUT, voting may only occur 24 hours after the current game ends.

This way the host of the current game has time to look through games and comment on things, players of the current game have time to read through the games and comment on things, players of the current game have time to do finishing touches on their games and post them and some other reasons I can't think of just now!

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: The Boy Who Cried Wolf on May 27, 2013, 01:10:47 PMI'd prefer if the host signups went in the middle of the current game BUT, voting may only occur 24 hours after the current game ends.

This way the host of the current game has time to look through games and comment on things, players of the current game have time to read through the games and comment on things, players of the current game have time to do finishing touches on their games and post them and some other reasons I can't think of just now!
This is actually a smart idea. I support.

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Mashi

You all realise that the primary reason we even began putting up Host Sign Up topics during the game was because you all wanted it that way, no???

And yes, TheBoyWhoCriedWolf, that's what we generally strive for.  Bird was just excited this time around though and started voting early!!!

Bird

Quote from: Mashi on May 27, 2013, 07:54:13 PMAnd yes, TheBoyWhoCriedWolf, that's what we generally strive for.  Bird was just excited this time around though and started voting early!!!

I am but a lowly public servant, a slave to the capricious whims of the masses.

Or to Yugi, I guess!!!

Yugi

Bird

Hmm... apparently we don't have a rule preventing members from asking the moderators to suck their dicks. I'll look into that later!

Thiannon

Thanks for posting this topic, Bird! My comment in the host sign-ups thread was mostly motivated by my experiences hosting, playing, and administrating at LLF, whose once-burgeoning TWG community has dwindled to the point that we only host seasonal games now--around a half dozen a year or so. One of the reasons I think the game's popularity decreased was due to overexposure. We were actually running two games at once at one point! While NSM TWG seems healthy, I worry that that same sort of phenomenon could take hold here. Forcing people to wait a few days can help build excitement for the coming game, and can give players a nice break, too. The two options [play the next game starting immediately] and [wait two to three weeks to play the subsequent game] aren't always particularly palatable, at least in my experience.

There are other advantages to waiting, too. For one, it gives prospective hosts more time to tweak their games and a better idea of the time frame in which they can do so (as I think it's generally clear when a game is winding down, whereas under the current system it isn't necessarily clear when the host sign-ups are coming). The game balancing topic is always available for people to post their games at any time, for feedback or even to build hype. If much of the approval and balancing work is done there, it keeps the host sign-ups topic cleaner, as well, avoiding multiple incarnations of the same game from being posted and potentially confusing people, as we saw with Maestro's game this round.

Most important, though, and I hope I don't sound rude or presumptuous by saying so, but I get the feeling that some players on NSM are too willing to give up on one game and just "try again" the next one; we've seen wolves give up when they were the last members of their team remaining on a couple occasions, though none of them are particularly recent. I'm thinking of less egregious cases, though, where humans might adopt a sort of "I don't care, let's just lynch whomever at this point" attitude. Worse, I get the feeling some people play for the role randomization, not the game itself; that is, if they get a normal human role, or even a wolf role, they just tune the game out and wait for the next one in hopes of getting something "better". Forcing people to wait a few days to a week between games might give them pause before essentially or actually checking out of a game. As others have said, giving the previous host time to post the post-game with a full review of the game actions and complete player analysis would mean players have the opportunity to review their performance, get feedback, and perhaps look to improve in the upcoming game. The same downtime gives that host time to recuperate after hosting, too, and gives players the chance to work on any games they want to host at a time when doing so doesn't interfere with their actual playing.

In summary, while I can see why people want the TWGs coming hot and heavy, I'm not so sure people know what's in their best interests in this case.
We can't let morality stop progress! - mnrogar

Yugi

Quote from: Bird on May 27, 2013, 08:21:25 PMHmm... apparently we don't have a rule preventing members from asking the moderators to suck their dicks. I'll look into that later!
well

you are my slave

Liggy

Thiannon brought up some excellent points, and I'm inclined to agree.  I'm not singling anyone out (not that I really could, as I don't recall a time this has happened specifically), but it's very plausible that people may give up at the end of the game to try again in the next one.  I've always felt that at least half a week was enough time to fully analyze each game, give prospective hosts enough time to finalize any game they're working on, and build excitement for the next game.

Also, I'd just like to say that best part of most great TWGs is the post game, where you get to see just what everyone was planning on doing throughout the game, and ponder what could've been had you done something different.  Faster host sign-ups cuts back on this time, so it's less for reflection and congratulations, but more about revealing roles that most people have already told everyone else by the time it goes up.

Waddle Bro

Bird

Ultimately, we're going with the third option. Apparently that's what we've already been shooting for but some of us have been jumping the gun with polls and host sign-up topics! Now the host sign-up topics will go up during the game, but the poll will never start until the previous game has ended, possibly even a few days after.

FSM-Reapr