News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

The NSM Advice Column

Started by K-NiGhT, January 15, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 27, 2013, 07:34:34 PMJust be all like, "Hey parental units! What does God and the square root of -1 have in common?" and then don't give them the answer. If they wanna know,they can google it. Parents are terrible at math.
The number 1 (although the 1 in the square root is still a square root).

:P
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

spitllama

Is anyone here a Business or Economics major? I've got three classes that I can't decide between for each dep't, but I only have room in my schedule for one each (before graduation) :( It's hard to figure out which one is more "life-applicable."
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 27, 2013, 07:39:21 PMThe number 1 (although the 1 in the square root is still a square root).

:P
There is no 1 in the square root of -1.

The square root of -1 does not contain a 1. It is a 100% different value.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Dude

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 27, 2013, 07:39:21 PMThe number 1 (although the 1 in the square root is still a square root).

Just... stop talking... I already lost so much respect for you from that politics topic, please don't make me lose any more.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 27, 2013, 08:26:40 PMThere is no 1 in the square root of -1.

The square root of -1 does not contain a 1. It is a 100% different value.
You completely missed my point... I was not talking mathematically, but, rather, the written 1 (I even mentioned it partially)...

Quote from: Dude on January 27, 2013, 08:36:32 PM...

Just... stop talking... I already lost so much respect for you from that politics topic, please don't make me lose any more.
Just because my opinions are different than yours (I assume), does not mean that you need to be rude...

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

There is no square root of negative 1.

I have no idea how you are getting to the conclusion that there is.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 27, 2013, 08:49:51 PMYou completely missed my point... I was not talking mathematically, but, rather, the written 1 (I even mentioned it partially)...
No, I got that. So by that logic, God is the equivalent of the symbol 1? Not the value of the 1, but just the writing. Kay, that makes sense.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Mashi

I think you should tell them out of respect, Concerto.  It'll probably hurt them and they may possibly pester you about it, but I feel that they would deserve the truth.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dude on January 27, 2013, 08:51:58 PMThere is no square root of negative 1.

I have no idea how you are getting to the conclusion that there is.
And you are not understanding what my point; trying to explain something in the midst of confusion will not work.
The square root of negative 1 is /1 i (square root of 1 times i); I am not talking about the solution, but rather, the presence of 1 (NOT THE NUMBER 1, as in 1 to the right of 0 on the number line :P).

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 27, 2013, 09:05:36 PMNo, I got that. So by that logic, God is the equivalent of the symbol 1? Not the value of the 1, but just the writing. Kay, that makes sense.
...nevermind, I guess you won't understand my symbolism and illusion... I guess I just carry out the process of thinking (as in, the definition, "the process of using one's mind to consider or reason about something") too much... intended as sarcasm...
There is no point to continue this conversation, as it is going away from Concerto's problem, merely clogging up the topic, and sprouting a pointless somewhat-debate.

Quote from: Mashi on January 27, 2013, 09:16:03 PMI think you should tell them out of respect, Concerto.  It'll probably hurt them and they may possibly pester you about it, but I feel that they would deserve the truth.
If they truly practice what they preach, they should show you compassion, Concerto, although they may try to have several conversations with you...

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 27, 2013, 09:22:47 PM...nevermind, I guess you won't understand my symbolism and illusion... I guess I just carry out the process of thinking (as in, the definition, "the process of using one's mind to consider or reason about something")
Okay, yeah. Sooper cryptic symbolism. You believe God is approximately the value of 1. That's not a very high value. Infinity would prolly work better for an all-powerful deity. Just sayin. ::)

BUT CONCERTO YOU SHOULD TOTALLY USE MY MATH JOKE ON THEM. BECAUSE IT STILL WORKS, DESPITE BLACKDRAGONSLAYER'S APPARENT IGNORANCE TO HOW MATHS WORK.

Mashi

Infinity is a concept, not a value.  And I would imagine BlackDragonSlayer's comment referring to God being Number 1.  Not to mention that due to a lack of parameters given under which comparison can be made among differing numerals, there is little interpretation left to be made in regard to any given value whatsoever, despite our bias in the availability heuristic.

And I would suggest against the imaginary number idea, even if it is satirical.  No use in being rude; you're supposed to defeat the stereotype that atheists are rude-tempered and arrogant in conversing with the religious!

BlackDragonSlayer

(I thought that it would be easy enough to draw a comparison with monotheism... nevermind, I suppose; I just think too much ::))

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

OHHHHHH 1 God. you know I though that, but then was like, "I'M GONNA ARGUE ANYWAY, CUZ IT'S JUST TOO FUN." And thenI completely forgot that that was prolly the point you were trying to make. I think we both think too much BDS. ;D

ALSO, MASHI'S JUST BEING A JERKASS. MY IMAGINARY NUMBER PUN IS TOO BIG TO FAIL.

Toby

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]