News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

The NSM Advice Column

Started by K-NiGhT, January 15, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on January 23, 2013, 09:14:23 PMAnd just in case anyone was wondering, this has nothing to do with Professor Layton ::) Literally my whole life I've been debating over 3 jobs, and once I realized how impractical, gross, and messy a dog breeder would be now it's down to this.
Pfffft. Yeah right; I can totes be a teacher of the blind/deaf, video game designer, and martial arts instructor at the same time. :P

Or I could combine them: A designer of martial arts games for the blind and deaf...

...good luck future-detective Bubbles!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on January 23, 2013, 09:58:46 PMI'm not really interested in the 'puzzle solving' part of it. We did this little activity in Bio where we were given a crime scene along with medical details of the dead victim, and we were supposed to figure out things like time, cause, and place of death. I don't think thats a detective's job, but it was still interesting (plus I was the only person in the whole class who got all of the details right :P). Biology has always been my strong point, so I dont really see a problem there.

Mashi, what youre basically saying is to keep well rounded in all main subjects while attempting some other more specific elective? If I don't turn out as a detective I really don't want to do anything else with the law, as frivolous as that sounds
Sounds like you're more better suited for Forensic Science.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Bubbles

Mashi

MaestroUGC offers a good suggestion, if that's the case, Bubbles7689.  A Forensic Scientist essentially does precisely what you desire to do.  And no need for police academy!
To give a short description, Forensic Scientists analyse evidence and pass on the information to departments in the police force to solve a case or testify in court as an expert in a field to substantiate something.  You don't really need to know much about Law, despite what it may sound like.

If the field of Forensic Science is the case, focus on Biology, Chemistry, Forensics (hahaha, evidently), some Physics, and the like.  I don't think you necessarily need to Major in Forensic Science to become a Forensic Scientist (and if I'm correct, in some cases, it's better to Major in a differing Science, like, again, Biology or Chemistry), but I'll have to check my notes from two years ago to be sure.  Be sure to take electives involving things like Statistics, Computer Science, and things too (you'll have to research others on your own, I'm not so learned about this field!  Electives aren't as important as the main Sciences though, so be sure to focus on those), since being knowledgeable in such topics will prove fruitful if you pursue it as a career.

Dude

Basically those people in CSI that use the microscopes and stuff.

Toby

I wanted to be a detective but I don't think I picked the right subjects.. I have no idea what to be now.

I picked:
Maths
English
Spanish
Physics
History
Administration
Computing Science
Art

... What a cluster

JDMEK5

Well you're missing law.. That could pose a problem.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Toby

We don't get law at our school.. We get modern studdies, which is like what's going on with the government so that's close..

K-NiGhT

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. Then I realized it was right in front of my face. Which is why I'm gonna major in Music Education.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, don't be set on one thing so early in high school. Keep your options open. Do some research.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Bubbles

Its not that I've been set on this from the beginning of high school, its literally been my whole life. Nwo all I have to decide is whether to study Forensic Science or Veternarian medicine

SlowPokemon

Everyone in band wants to be a music educator.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Kman96

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 25, 2013, 05:50:45 PMEveryone in band wants to be a music educator.
Eff that. Music is just a hobby of mine, not my main direction. I enjoy playing percussion, but it's just not something I want to study and do for a living. I'd get bored, frustrated, and probably quit before too long.

Not for me.
Party Hard!
[close]

Nebbles

One thing to mention, while it may be obvious....

Do what makes you happy. Ignore anyone else's judgment or "why would you do that" type of crap. It's your life, your job, your future. Would you rather work a boring 9-5 job? Or do what you've been dreaming of doing for ages? Even if it takes work, a lot of it, it'll be rewarding in the end.

I want to work in museums. That won't be really easy, but it's my dream to spread historical knowledge to all ages. And I'm gonna get that dream, dammit.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Mashi

The Boy Who Cried Wolf, by when do you have to have your resolution for a career path?  From what I'm aware, you have to choose earlier in Europe than in America and your ability to switch isn't as likely.  I know that in England, they go by Years and A-Levels and O-Levels or whatever, but I'm not so sure about Scotland.  So if you can, what's the general age by when you must have decided?

The classes you're taking are quite broad, anyhow, which is great, since it'll give you many more opportunities.  I don't know how detective careers work in Scotland, but either way, I think you may enjoy another vocation more, frankly.  Are you particularly interested in any certain subject?

Toby

Well you start high school when you are 11/12, you then pick your subjects at the end of 2nd Year, so you're 13/14 really.

Next year I go away to a workplace of my choosing and I work there for a few months (this can be anything that accepts teenagers doing work experience). In the end, everyone gets a workplace anyway.

I can get a job in about 2-3 years I think now, but that's only basic jobs which I'm not going for, when I leave school I might go to university but don't know what to study, I'll probably try get in Glasgow arts school just to see how good I am really at art, if I get in I'll do art, if I don't my career can vary. I could end up still doing an art career or something different..

When I was picking my subjects I felt I was good at art and computing, so I thought I could do something like creating websites or pages for buisnesses or something. I'm not good at webpages as I've discovered now.

I wish I didn't pick Administration because I already know everything from the computer side from me teaching myself, and the written work bit is the most boring thing ever, I almost doze off in classes!

I thought I was good at Physics, but I'm in the 2nd highest class which really annoys me. They started putting people in classes of how good they were, but they made one class (the top class) not be able to change. And guess how they put the classes together? They judged by everyones Physics, BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY results from 1st and 2nd year!

Now I'm stuck in a class with all the dummys who get an average of 55% on their tests and I'm stuck there with an average of 90% for my Physics.

You can't change what subjects you picked unless you have really good reason to, but personally I think any reason should be fine because it's our career and jobs, not there's. If you want to change you obviously care about your future, not just because you are bored of the subject (with admin it's boring but quite frankly I haven't learned anything so I want to change).

Oh and my English teacher said I was good at English aswell so I though maybe I could write basic children's stories with pictures that I would draw..