News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Help Figuring Out Instrumentation

Started by MasterProX, January 09, 2013, 11:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterProX

As you can see in the video above, this is the 25th Anniversary version of Gerudo Valley from The Legend of Zelda. I was trying to arrange this for my school's symphonic orchestra, and I already have most of the notes written out, I figured out the key signature, and the tempo...

...but I'm having trouble figuring out what damned instruments are used in this song. (I'm not an expert on identifying brass instruments and such using the sound.)

TL;DR, could someone list all the instruments used in this song?

Clanker37

In no particular or accurate order:

Violin
Viola
Cello
Snare
Wood Slap (IDK the real name :P)
Xylophone/Marimba
Tuba
Trombone
Trumpet
Bass Drum
Timpani
Flue
Picollo
French Horn
Clarinet?
Crash Cymbal
The big cymal thing-you-hit-and-it's-on-a-drum-kit-and-I-forgot-the-name
Tubular Bells

I'm probably missing some, but that's what I heard. :P

Bloop

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 10, 2013, 06:43:19 AMThe big cymal thing-you-hit-and-it's-on-a-drum-kit-and-I-forgot-the-name
Ride cymbal?

Olimar12345

There's an easier way to go about this: it's a modern symphony orchestra. You can tell by the videos on YouTube of the other songs they played:

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MasterProX

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 10, 2013, 09:47:02 AMThere's an easier way to go about this: it's a modern symphony orchestra. You can tell by the videos on YouTube of the other songs they played:

Ah. I see. At first I thought I didn't hear some instruments though, that's why I asked.

Another small question, what's that percussion instrument that plays on every other beat in the beginning?

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MasterProX

Alight, awesome. Let me check the instruments again to make sure I'm not forgetting anything, if I am, remind me...

Piccolo, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, tuba, French horn, xylophone, drum kit, tubular bells, crash cymbals, timpani, and all five string instruments.

Hopefully that's all there is in the song, so I can get to matching notes to the right instruments sooner.

MasterProX

(Double post, who cares...)

Oh look, more questions.

What's the first instrument that comes in?
What's/what are the instrument(s) that play the main theme around 0:50?

Please excuse my bad ears...  :P

Ricky

Quote from: MasterProX on January 12, 2013, 09:49:07 PM(Double post, who cares...)

Oh look, more questions.

What's the first instrument that comes in?
What's/what are the instrument(s) that play the main theme around 0:50?

Please excuse my bad ears...  :P
I will give a try and help out but might get it wrong. The first instrument that comes in is probably a cello or a low viola. At around 0:50 I think that's a french horn but could be a trumpet. I think there's a possibility there's a double bass in the piece because it's standard in modern orchestras but I don't know. I wish I could be more precise.

Edit: Also, it's difficult (at least for me) to figure out what type of trumpet, oboe, bassoon, tuba etc. is used. Obviously there are some common and less common ones (in the case of trumpets for example the Bb and C trumpets are most common, however there are for example also D & Eb trumpets, Eb and Bb bass trumpets, A and Bb Piccolo trumpets and so on). The choice of for example trumpet type can be made either by the performer or composer and depends on factors such as the range needed, desired timbre, key of the piece and availability.

MasterProX

Ah. I see.

The questions, they never end.

What instrument comes in (after the violins) at 0:07?
At 0:10, another instrument comes in (I think), what is that? At the same time I hear a percussion instrument and brass instrument playing a low note, what instruments are those?

(I wish there was an easier way to figure out the instruments...)

Dudeman

At 0:07, it sounds like flutes or some other similar woodwind.
At 0:10, the instrument that comes in is probably a tuba or something similar. I don't hear another percussion instrument...
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

This is what I heat:

0:00 Tams and Violas(with marimbas doubling their part)
0:03 Violins enter with 16th notes, clarinets enter with the same rhythm as the violas
0:07 Flutes playing in 6ths, Cellos playing down beats,
0:10 Mallets(bells or xylophones) enter doubling the flutes, Double Bass and low brass enter with low sustained notes. (low brass=tuba and trombones)
0:17 High brass adds to the sustained notes, with the trumpets higher than the horns
0:23 String ensemble and double reeds play the changes for the tune, double bass playing roots on down beats. a drum is playing 8th notes, accenting beats 2 and 4
0:34 Timpani roll and suspended cymbal
0:36 add Trombones with half notes, flutes and other high woodwinds, and mallets (xylophones?)
0:47 add tuba
0:50 Horns have the melody, a "call and response" with the trumpets

MasterProX

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 13, 2013, 01:01:47 PMThis is what I heat:

0:03 Violins enter with 16th notes, clarinets enter with the same rhythm as the violas
0:10 Mallets(bells or xylophones) enter doubling the flutes, Double Bass and low brass enter with low sustained notes. (low brass=tuba and trombones)
0:17 High brass adds to the sustained notes, with the trumpets higher than the horns
0:23 String ensemble and double reeds play the changes for the tune, double bass playing roots on down beats. a drum is playing 8th notes, accenting beats 2 and 4
0:36 add Trombones with half notes, flutes and other high woodwinds, and mallets (xylophones?)

Thank you, Jesus. :D

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 13, 2013, 01:01:47 PMThis is what I heat:

Good job Olimar.  They were way too cold.