News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Note placement

Started by Bubbles, November 12, 2012, 06:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

In an arrangement like this, where the 2nd (red) layer is the main tune of the song:

Would it be appropriate to leave it as it is with a quarter note tied to the same note as a dotted half note, or would I change that to a rest? I cant tell if you're supposed to have both the notes there or not.

(one million cookies to anyone who can guess the song)

spitllama

You could always put parentheses around the red note (which is commonly used to show two melodies use the same note at the same time). Then you don't have to put a messy rest in there.

I'm concerned by the reach you're asking for in the left hand though O_O I can't reach the third eighth note while holding the dotted half note.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bubbles

:P I was thinking about that, usually I plug in the notes then go and check if its playable or not. I remember Bespinben saying something about using the sustained pedal, though Im shamed to admit that I've never used a pedal before ever (even after 8 years :-\)

And would the parenthesis be used with the expression tool or the text tool? The expression tool seems really light

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: spitllama on November 12, 2012, 06:35:43 PMI'm concerned by the reach you're asking for in the left hand though O_O I can't reach the third eighth note while holding the dotted half note.

Yeah, I used to wonder about such things but then I started checking out piano sheets, properly. It's like an implied way of writing pedal usage.

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on November 12, 2012, 07:07:43 PMYeah, I used to wonder about such things but then I started checking out piano sheets, properly. It's like an implied way of writing pedal usage.

AAAHHH!!!  IT'S DEKU!!!!!  WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!?!?!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on November 12, 2012, 07:10:24 PMAAAHHH!!!  IT'S DEKU!!!!!  WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!?!?!
Deku is a magical wizard. @_@
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber