News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Pokemon Showdown!

Started by FSM-Reapr, November 02, 2012, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

I set up an NSM channel in the Pokemon Online main server. Would anyone care to meet me there?
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

BonusPwnage

Pokemon Online? What's that?

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Roz~

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 12, 2012, 12:27:20 PMWall of text

No, it wouldn't be unintelligent. You can deduce most of your opponent's movesets during team preview if you're good enough. Also no one runs Brick Break on Metagross because it's dumb since it has better moves. It's not foolish. And sometimes you have to take risks when playing Pokemon.

There's no point in arguing with you because clearly you're not open-minded and you stick to your own opinion, thinking it's "superior". Clanker and I tried to help you out but clearly you act like you already know everything about competitive battling when you obviously don't. There's really no point in trying to help you anymore.

Quote from: K-NiGhT on November 12, 2012, 05:24:52 PMI set up an NSM channel in the Pokemon Online main server. Would anyone care to meet me there?
On PO V2? Would be cool to play on PO again, since Pokemon Showdown lags a lot sometimes. I might go on there when I have time to play online again.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Clanker37

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 12, 2012, 12:27:20 PMI've got Machamp (thank you HP Dark :P)
Are you seriously considering giving Machamp Hidden Power? In gen 5?

*Face desk*

Well, whatever! We were only trying to help you and you rejected us, so happy losing!

BlackDragonSlayer

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uususpecttest4328384

Meh, not even a full battle.
Gallade FTW!! :D

Quote from: Roz~ on November 12, 2012, 08:44:32 PMNo, it wouldn't be unintelligent. You can deduce most of your opponent's movesets during team preview if you're good enough. Also no one runs Brick Break on Metagross because it's dumb since it has better moves. It's not foolish. And sometimes you have to take risks when playing Pokemon.

There's no point in arguing with you because clearly you're not open-minded and you stick to your own opinion, thinking it's "superior". Clanker and I tried to help you out but clearly you act like you already know everything about competitive battling when you obviously don't. There's really no point in trying to help you anymore.
What about no team preview battles? :P My favorite kind. >:D Due to the variety of various Pokemon's movesets, you can't always deduce their moves so easily; you know that from the mixed-bag of typed moves I have. ;) You need to confuse your opponent, and leave them unexpecting what comes next (as well as many other things...)

It has better moves, I'm not denying that, but wouldn't that catch the opponent off guard, and allow Metagross to deal with different types? And would negate previous described circumstance? :P

I am open-minded; that's why I'm arguing. I'm receptive to others' knowledge when it's necessarily helpful in an improving way (like with Espeon's nature, something I would have overlooked), not when it can be easily disadvantageous (especially in this specific case). You're the only one acting like you have the superior/entire knowledge...  :-\ You're acting as if all you say is 100% definitive in a total and absolute way. :P
Strategies "by the book" are limited and aren't always the best choices; balance, variety, and effectiveness are just some of the only factors to keep in mind. If battling was a single formula or equation, they would be, but, as can be observed clearly, it's not.

Quote from: Clanker37 on November 12, 2012, 09:08:32 PMAre you seriously considering giving Machamp Hidden Power? In gen 5?

Well, whatever! We were only trying to help you and you rejected us, so happy losing!
Yes; another friend recommended that I use Hidden Power when forming teams a while back (even before I joined NSM). I believe he said that it allowed many Pokemon to overcome type weaknesses, and has vast use, depending on WHICH Hidden Power it was.
Although, I HAVE switched to Payback, which hasn't been very helpful in the last two battles I was in (with Barrier Breaker team); however, it allows me to distribute the EVs that were in Sp. Atk to other stats. If only there were a better dark move. :S

...well... More battles have allowed for more observations, allowing for improvement based on shortcomings. The only remaining problems are speed and fire types. For those, I may need to switch out at least one Pokemon for a faster one.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Roz~

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 12, 2012, 09:20:11 PMhttp://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uususpecttest4328384

Meh, not even a full battle.
Gallade FTW!! :D
What about no team preview battles? :P My favorite kind. >:D Due to the variety of various Pokemon's movesets, you can't always deduce their moves so easily; you know that from the mixed-bag of typed moves I have. ;) You need to confuse your opponent, and leave them unexpecting what comes next (as well as many other things...)

It has better moves, I'm not denying that, but wouldn't that catch the opponent off guard, and allow Metagross to deal with different types? And would negate previous described circumstance? :P

I am open-minded; that's why I'm arguing. I'm receptive to others' knowledge when it's necessarily helpful in an improving way (like with Espeon's nature, something I would have overlooked), not when it can be easily disadvantageous (especially in this specific case). You're the only one acting like you have the superior/entire knowledge...  :-\ You're acting as if all you say is 100% definitive in a total and absolute way. :P
Strategies "by the book" are limited and aren't always the best choices; balance, variety, and effectiveness are just some of the only factors to keep in mind. If battling was a single formula or equation, they would be, but, as can be observed clearly, it's not.
Yes; another friend recommended that I use Hidden Power when forming teams a while back (even before I joined NSM). I believe he said that it allowed many Pokemon to overcome type weaknesses, and has vast use, depending on WHICH Hidden Power it was.
Although, I HAVE switched to Payback, which hasn't been very helpful in the last two battles I was in (with Barrier Breaker team); however, it allows me to distribute the EVs that were in Sp. Atk to other stats. If only there were a better dark move. :S

...well... More battles have allowed for more observations, allowing for improvement based on shortcomings. The only remaining problems are speed and fire types. For those, I may need to switch out at least one Pokemon for a faster one.

Gen V = Wifi clause = you always see your opponent's team before you battle. And depending on the team structure you can get a good idea about what moves they're going to pack. And I'm not narrow-minded. I'm trying to help you because your moveset choices are not good. And I enter Pokemon sanctioned tournaments and I win money out of them because I place high, so yes, I like to think that I know what I'm talking about. And I'm all for gimmicks, I love using them. But HP Dark on Machamp is just really bad because Payback is a superior option, and this is a fact. Fun gimmicks are stuff like Floatzel with Water Veil, Flame Orb, and Switcheroo. HP Dark on Machamp is just stupid. Your friend was right, HP can help take down certain threats, but HP needs to be used on Special Attackers. That's why Heatran sometimes packs HP Grass or HP Ice, and Gengar packs HP Fire or HP Ice. There's no point in using it on a Physical Attacker because you either won't do any damage or you'll have to invest Evs in Sp. Atk which is a waste since you should invest them in Atk/HP/Speed/etc. And of course you're going to have problems with Fire types, you have more than one Steel-type on your team and only Haxorus as a safe switch in. And by battling you, I'd know that you're a sub-par player after seeing the movesets you run. Especially the HP shenanigans.

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 12, 2012, 09:20:11 PMYes; another friend recommended that I use Hidden Power when forming teams a while back (even before I joined NSM). I believe he said that it allowed many Pokemon to overcome type weaknesses, and has vast use, depending on WHICH Hidden Power it was.
Just no. -.-

BonusPwnage

I don't think Hidden Power is all that great...

Roz~

It can be pretty useful. Let's say you have a Heatran which runs Fre Blast, Earth Power and Stealth Rocks. You are completely walled by Dragon types. So, to be able to hit them, you give Heatran HP Ice. It is a good idea because it's a Special Attacker and it doesn't learn any Ice type moves.

FSM-Reapr

Nebbles

You shouldn't be giving Hidden Power to anything that's not a good special attacker, end of story.

Like Roz said, Heatran is a very good idea. Machamp? What are you thinking?
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

BlackDragonSlayer

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Cobraroll

I'd say Hidden Power is a "last-ditch" alternative. When you have anything better to run, do so. If not, like that Heatran who really, really wants an Ice move, you can go for Hidden Power.

As movepools have grown over the course of the generations, fewer and fewer Pokémon need to run it, though. I guess that in future generations, it will be a very rare sight, used only on certain niche Pokémon in special cases.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Cobraroll on November 13, 2012, 01:03:49 PMI'd say Hidden Power is a "last-ditch" alternative. When you have anything better to run, do so. If not, like that Heatran who really, really wants an Ice move, you can go for Hidden Power.

As movepools have grown over the course of the generations, fewer and fewer Pokémon need to run it, though. I guess that in future generations, it will be a very rare sight, used only on certain niche Pokémon in special cases.
It can open up new possibilities in type combinations...

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber