Main Menu

Sebastian's Arrangement Library

Started by Sebastian, October 19, 2012, 08:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you see this?

Yes
Yes

Jompa

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 03, 2014, 08:15:03 AMOnly thing I'm not a 100% sure about is the Key Change in measure 8.
Odd, because that's the only place you have the right key signature.

I's G-major where you now have C-major
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Quote from: Jompa on June 03, 2014, 11:11:53 AMOdd, because that's the only place you have the right key signature.

I's G-major where you now have C-major
Oh brother   :o
Hit me with a stick and call me a pinata! lol :)

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

jegilmer

Do you think the X-Mail Arrangement I did is good enough or should I change some stuff?

Sebastian

Quote from: jegilmer on June 03, 2014, 03:17:22 PMDo you think the X-Mail Arrangement I did is good enough or should I change some stuff?
I really dont know  :-\
You could ask Jompa or Olimar :)

jegilmer

Haha alright, will do!

Hey Jompa, if you have time, could you check out some of the arrangements I've done and help me make them better?

Jompa

No, I'm really sorry, but I'm just so incredibly busy these weeks.
But I have looked at your arrangements.
Don't take this the wrong way, but a clear problem in your arrangements is that they lack a music-theoretical fundament (if that is an understandable way of putting it). And this is probably caused because you lack some basic understanding of music theory. If that's the case then I can promise you, us spending many hours pointing out every little thing that can be changed won't teach you a thing. That would mean you'd never be able to do this kind of thing on your own, and we'd have to do the same thing for every new arrangement.
What I'm trying to say is LEARN MUSIC THEORY DAMMIT before you throw yourself into advanced arranging. That's when music is actually cool and fun and fascinating! I don't see any point in arranging if you don't know what you're doing.
And mariolegofan, I can't help but feeling like this applies to you too

^Sorry if all of that sounded mean, I don't mean to be

Here are some words of great wisdom:
You won't become a good arranger by only arranging piano sheets for NSM. Actually, you probably won't improve at all before you start going into real music theory.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

Not to jump in or anything, but say, for me, how could I tell if/when I have a decent grasp on music theory? I've played piano for years, but that doesn't really count. Not to keep rambling or anything, but I might take a music theory class at a college. I take it that would help a lot?

edit: I would say I'm good at identifying keys, if that counts for anything.

Sebastian

Yeah Jompa, what do you recommend we do to get better other than arranging?

jegilmer

Haha it's ok Jompa, I know that feeling of no free time and it's understandable I'm not butt hurt. But...I understand music theory, I'm a music composition major. (Not saying that means that I know what I'm doing) But like you, I compose music, too and I've analyzed a good bit of music. Maybe I've completely missed something pertaining to theory, but I don't think I have...haha. It could be that I'm just having trouble applying my theory knowledge with the pieces I've arranged.

Jompa

Music classes is a great way to learn music theory.
Other ways would be interval training, and arranging practice that isn't NSM arranging (yes, seriously). You could try buying some kind of learning book, that would probably be good at teaching you on all the important areas.
Quote from: jegilmer on June 04, 2014, 06:45:33 PMHaha it's ok Jompa, I know that feeling of no free time and it's understandable I'm not butt hurt. But...I understand music theory, I'm a music composition major. (Not saying that means that I know what I'm doing) But like you, I compose music, too and I've analyzed a good bit of music. Maybe I've completely missed something pertaining to theory, but I don't think I have...haha. It could be that I'm just having trouble applying my theory knowledge with the pieces I've arranged.
I see. Well, I then I think you might want to try applying it more to your sheets, like for the key signatures and stuff. They aren't bad at all (I should've said so sooner), but as you most of the time have the wrong key signature and the wrong harmonic structure in the form of accidentals etc., instead of us fixing every little thing giving them a boost of basic music theory would be much better, which I think you can do.
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Quote from: Jompa on June 05, 2014, 01:43:02 AMMusic classes is a great way to learn music theory.
Other ways would be interval training, and arranging practice that isn't NSM arranging (yes, seriously). You could try buying some kind of learning book, that would probably be good at teaching you on all the important areas.
Well Thanks Jompa :) Olimar did recommend a theory book for me to read.
Maybe I'll buy it :)

Sebastian

Hey Guys :)

Here is the current progress on the Paper Mario TTYD Project: http://forum.ninsheetm.us/index.php?topic=4911.msg247304#msg247304

Bloop just finished these (Important Item Get, Found a Badge, Found an Item, Shadow Queen Awakens, Disk System Startup, Glitz Pit Intro, Glitz Pit Outro, Bowser's Quest - Finish!, Enemy Surprise!, Peach Mail, Get the Crystal Star, Hokktail Castle Appears, Right!, Answer!, You got Mail, A New Partner Joins You, and Battle Won with Injured Partner). All these songs are in the link :)

Here is the in Progress list:
Rogueport Sewers - Bloop
Hall of the Thousand Year Door - Jegilmer
Petal Meadows - Bloop
Level Up! - Bloop
Hooktail Battle (Boss - Hooktail) - mariolegofan
Reunion - mariolegofan

Quote from: Jompa on June 03, 2014, 11:11:53 AMI's G-major where you now have C-major
Fixed

And I should have Hooktail Battle sometime soon :)

jegilmer

Quote from: Jompa on June 05, 2014, 01:43:02 AMI see. Well, I then I think you might want to try applying it more to your sheets, like for the key signatures and stuff. They aren't bad at all (I should've said so sooner), but as you most of the time have the wrong key signature and the wrong harmonic structure in the form of accidentals etc., instead of us fixing every little thing giving them a boost of basic music theory would be much better, which I think you can do.
Yeah I agree, I guess as of right now I've just been trying to make sure I've gotten the right notes written down. So I guess the next step would be getting the right spellings and all of the stuff you've mentioned. Thanks though! It's always good to get some advice. :)

Sebastian

I should have Hooktail Battle done tomorrow :) and Reunion sometime after that.
If you guys enjoy my arrangements, (obviously SOME people hate them like heck) please pray that I stay in NSM.
I might, unfortunetly, be leaving soon  :(