Main Menu

Sebastian's Arrangement Library

Started by Sebastian, October 19, 2012, 08:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you see this?

Yes
Yes

Jompa

Might be an idea to use the right key signature.
And for many of the chords, those intervals are pretty low for being that close - it won't sound good when played. If you can't octavate, you'll be better of cutting some of the notes out.
Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

ok thanks  :)
Key signature is b flat minor??

Anyone have any ideas for big boo's haunt?

Sebastian

Sebastian

Sebastian

ok, I was thinking, should I put everything an octave higher? if not, then what should I do?

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Sebastian

Sebastian

Ms. Jolene's Theme from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
[ZIP]

If it needs any changes or anything added, just tell me :)

FireArrow

Very nice arrangement of a very nice song. :))

The only error I spotted is that the song is in G major, not C major. Also, I'd look into a bit more articulation to see if you can get the music box feel.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Thank You very much!! The funny thing is that I was going to put it in G major, but I forgot :) lol

FierceDeity

Uuuugh this song is so pretty. (EDIT: Talking about Ms. Jolene's theme, just so we're clear haha)
Overall, good job. There are a few things, though.

First off, the 3/4 bar repeating back to the pickup measure isn't very appropriate; it may just seem like finale messes up the playback, but in reality that's because you're never really supposed to repeat back to the pickup measure. It'd make more sense to keep the last bar in 4/4, add in those two eighth notes on beat 4, and just repeat back to the first full measure.

Second, the "music box feel", as fire describes, is often very reliant on octaves. While I don't think it'd be appropriate for this arrangement to offset the entire melody in octaves, there are a few spots where it is definitely in octaves and you kinda leave it out. For example, in measure 1 (the first full measure), I'm 99% certain that the "G F# G" on beats 2, 3, and 4 is also in the left hand, an octave below (still keeping the D you have, though). The other instance of this that I found is in measure 11. Here, things would need to be added to both hands. On beat 2 in the right hand, the E should be added in, and beats 3 and 4 in the left hand, you should add in the B and A an octave below the right hand. In other words, beats 2, 3, and 4 here should be in octaves.
Oh, and you should probably write in that it's a music box feel, because that usually indicates that the left and right hands are offset a little bit, and in this arrangement I don't think it'd make much sense to indicate that using grace notes.

Third, as far as note length goes, I know it's kinda difficult to replicate the sustain in the song without going full out sustain, but there's one spot in particular where I think it could be a little less short and choppy, or at least more consistent. Measures 13 through 17 (maybe through 19), you have an inconsistency between how you notate things of the same note length and same position in the measure. All of those notes in the left hand should be the same length, but the one in measure 13 is marked as a half note, and the rest as quarter notes. I'd prefer to see them all as half notes, but at least make them all the same.

This last one's more of a personal preference, but I hope you consider it anyways. A pulse of 140 seems like too much for this piece; I'm feeling it at half the tempo. If I were arranging this, I'd probably put it at 70 bpm with note lengths at half value. It'd still theoretically be played the same way, but the pulse, or how the music is felt, would be more accurate, I think.

Sebastian

Here is a reference to Ms. Jolene's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVdgKwRiRI

Quote from: FierceDeity on October 20, 2013, 02:41:09 PMin measure 1 (the first full measure), I'm 99% certain that the "G F# G" on beats 2, 3, and 4 is also in the left hand
This is not true. I listened to it over and over and didnt here them