News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

How do you guys recognize notes so easily?

Started by Taser9090, October 04, 2012, 07:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I don't even know what perfect pitch is tbh, and I can arrange fine
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

fingerz

Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

spitllama

What Fingerz said. I have to hum out every stinking note when I arrange.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Greg

I started with a fairly good sense of pitch personally. One thing I would recommend, though, is learning some theory. You don't even have to go deeply into it: basic knowledge of harmony goes far when it comes to arranging.

Shadoninja

Every once in awhile I'll sit at a piano, look away, and play a random note and try to figure out what note it is.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Jompa

You don't just recognize a tone, but when you are going to transcribe something you nede to find the key signature - not that hard of you have a pitched instrument. After that it's easy because you can hear what note is playing out of the interval between the note and the root.
Birdo for Smash

Olimar12345

This is sorta how I do it:
-Listen to the song a few times
-Identify tonic
-Identify the mode
-Identify the form of the piece
-Transcribe the bass line, then
-Transcribe the melody(or vice versa)
-Transcribe other voices.

As for accidentals, ignore them at first. Once you have the correct pitches, then go back and make the decision of which note it is. (based on the key of the piece and the notes function.)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jompa

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 07, 2012, 03:15:14 PMAs for accidentals, ignore them at first. Once you have the correct pitches, then go back and make the decision of which note it is. (based on the key of the piece and the notes function.)
Nooooo
Birdo for Smash

FSM-Reapr

Olimar12345

Quote from: Jompa on October 08, 2012, 07:13:13 AMNooooo
??? Perhaps that wasn't as clear as I thought it was-what I meant was that I usually make accidentals either all sharps or all flats until proven to be the other.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jompa

Sorry, I misunderstood - you're tots right!
Birdo for Smash

Olimar12345

Oh okay then. :P well to be honest, I usually skip that step now-I can usually tell immediately. :J

SlowPokemon

Yeahhh it's way easier for me to just do it

fingerz

I just start arranging the piece and figure out what key it's it whilst doing it! Anything that's got waaaaayyy to many accidentals including a lot of naturals doesn't get a key signature, for obvious reasons. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SlowPokemon

No, there are no obvious reasons. You need the correct key signature.