News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Is it bad that I can't get into classical music?

Started by Master_Z, September 28, 2012, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pit0010

people have their likes and dislikes. :P

you don't have to force yourself to like something. Listen, do or anything else where your heart takes you too. :P
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

FSM-Reapr

Pit0010

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on September 29, 2012, 11:24:50 PMlol that reminds me of something awful... ::)
ummmmm ok? :P *i can't think of it now...it's like 12 in the morning XD*
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

fabbemannen

Classical music in general have never appealed to me, even though I've listened to a lot of pieces. I don't doubt that there's some songs I like there, but there's so many others in between that I can't find those golden ones. I don't really feel like searching for them either since I already got good music in other genres, both to listen to and play, so I don't really want to start listening to it either.

Videogame-music is often called "classical", but it's like the rolling man said, they tell a story and gives you a special feeling, even though I've never played the game or know what's happening, I can relate to it. The reason I rather play VGMs than normal music on the piano is mainly 'cause "real" music often is built to suit the singing, while VGMs often can focus more on the actual music, which makes for a funnier tune to play (I doubt that songs like the Athletic Mario-tunes will ever be popular on the public radio)

JDMEK5

Quote from: fabbemannen on September 30, 2012, 07:11:04 AM(I doubt that songs like the Athletic Mario-tunes will ever be popular on the public radio)
That would be sick. :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

But some game music feels more like classical music than even some film music. Take the following pieces and see if you think they would sound out of place in an orchestra concert.

King Bowser from Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy
Title from Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

Those are just three examples, there are literally countless.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 30, 2012, 02:45:10 PMBut some game music feels more like classical music than even some film music.
Oh definitely. One that sounds super-orchestral to me is Gusty Garden Galaxy (Once again, Super Mario Galaxy)
Actually, just about every Super Mario Galaxy track is a real orchestra. (They were written by Mahito Yokota, Nintendo's leading orchestral composer/arranger, so go figure)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

SlowPokemon

Yep Mr. Yokota is one of the best composers in the gaming industry. Everybody knows Gusty Garden, so I tried to list some that maybe they wouldn't have thought of. Plus, the guitar doesn't scream classical to me. That's easily the best piece from SMG though.

And even if it's not, imagine if more in-game music was arranged for orchestra.

Listen to the in-game version of More London Streets (also known as "London 3") from Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. The excessive accordions suggest the dirtiness that's typically associated with London. Now take a look at the live orchestrated version included on the original soundtrack. The swaying strings represent a walk through London that's beautiful and after about a minute, the piece lets loose in a really extravagant waltz. I'd love to see that performed live.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

dahans

It's absolutely not necessary to like classical music. As all the other people have said... Everybody has their likes and dislikes. Nevertheless I think it's important to understand the music (not like!) if you want to become a good musician.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

JDMEK5

If you can play classical, you can play anything. Classical is the foundation of every other style of music out there. (Except rap. I honestly wouldn't call that music though..)

My Arrangements

Shadoninja

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 03, 2012, 07:42:27 AMIf you can play classical, you can play anything. Classical is the foundation of every other style of music out there. (Except rap. I honestly wouldn't call that music though..)
But If you're not interested in it, you shouldn't be forced to play it. You should play what you're interested in first and then you can branch out.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

Quote from: Shadoninja on October 03, 2012, 08:21:24 PMBut If you're not interested in it, you shouldn't be forced to play it. You should play what you're interested in first and then you can branch out.
Oh definitely. But if you're okay with it, it's a very good style to learn.

My Arrangements

BonusPwnage

OH MY GOD YOU HATE CLASSICAL MUSIC WHATS WRONG WITH YOU TROLOLOL Everybody has their own interests. It's perfectly normal to not like classical music. Just please, for the love of god, don't tell me you're one of those people listening to the cr*p that people call music these days.
Jokes: What Nicki Minaj sounds like on Kid's Radio Stations-I'm gonna *boop boop beep bo boop* in your *boop boop*
40 years into the future:
Father: Hey son! What's your favorite song?
Son: "Wub wub wub, wub wub."
Sad thing is, this is our future.

MoboMoga

Ahh, it's ok, I like classical but not too much..I love jazz piano, however.  :D
Just as long as you don't like those metal scraping, pounding walls sounding music that's usually popular these days.
Seriously, I hate heavy metal, nor do I like rock (all that screaming from the bands with greasy long hair and whipping their heads back and forth, I can't even make out the lyrics, just shouting and shrieking going on). Jazz creates an extremely cozy atmosphere for me, and I like it.  ;D

Jompa

Quote from: MoboMoga on November 26, 2012, 06:52:02 PMAhh, it's ok, I like classical but not too much..I love jazz piano, however.  :D
Just as long as you don't like those metal scraping, pounding walls sounding music that's usually popular these days.
Seriously, I hate heavy metal, nor do I like rock (all that screaming from the bands with greasy long hair and whipping their heads back and forth, I can't even make out the lyrics, just shouting and shrieking going on). Jazz creates an extremely cozy atmosphere for me, and I like it.  ;D
If you're gonna call jazz cozy, then you have to say that it is cozy-jazz that is cozy, or that could lead to misunderstandings (sorry, I'm kinda sensitive about this kinda..) - jazz is the most "stretchable" genre of music. It could be extremely fast straight bebop, or swingy bar jazz. So calling jazz-in-general cozy, wouldn't be correct. :)

I'm anti-classical
I only like jazz.
Only jazz.
I don't see the point in listening to classical music (in general!), it's just boring as hell (in general!!!) (when I say "in general", I mean "there isn't a classical piece in the world that I like - at all").
However, I did get brainwashed by my school to like Faure's Requiem, but that's involuntarily.. we had to sing it many many times...
Birdo for Smash