News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Is it bad that I can't get into classical music?

Started by Master_Z, September 28, 2012, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky

Of course it's ok to not like it. Like it's been mentioned before you maybe haven't found the right thing that will get you into classical music yet. Honestly just a few years ago I was into hip-hop. I liked it because non-mainstream hip-hop often has good lyrics. The music itself is ofc simple but it's still music. Either way I've started playing piano a few years ago too and before that I've always liked music in video games eventhough I wasn't into it outside of when I was playing (like I am now). Piano plus video game music (and especially the amazing JRPG Eternal Sonata) got me into classical music a few years ago and since then I've been expanding my listening range of classical music. First I mostly liked Chopin, then Debussy, then J.S. Bach, then modern classical (pre WWII) and so on. In fact I've got very interested in classical music history by wondering how things ended up the way they did in the 20th century. I've read the Oxford History of Western Music which expanded my listening range alot (including to medieval & reneissance music which I didn't know anything about before reading). About 1.5 years ago I started going on classical music concerts (really amazing stuff). I've also started hearing original musical ideas in my head not too long ago (1-2 years ago).

So, I believe you can get into classical music if you find the right starting point. Classical music is very broad and varied.

MoboMoga

Quote from: Jompa on November 27, 2012, 05:07:50 AMIf you're gonna call jazz cozy, then you have to say that it is cozy-jazz that is cozy, or that could lead to misunderstandings (sorry, I'm kinda sensitive about this kinda..) - jazz is the most "stretchable" genre of music. It could be extremely fast straight bebop, or swingy bar jazz. So calling jazz-in-general cozy, wouldn't be correct. :)

Huh, I guess that's true.  :) Thanks for fixing my mistake.