News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Slow's Top Ten

Started by SlowPokemon, September 13, 2012, 05:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I'm going to start a thread where I can post random top ten lists of things I like. These things are probably going to be totally random stuff that I'm into. Without further ado, here is my first list.

Top Ten: Studio Ghibli Films

Studio Ghibli is pretty much the Pixar of Japan. They can be counted on consistently to produce high-quality films time after time. There might be a Cars type flop occasionally, but the grand majority of the time, you're getting your money's worth of film. So today I am taking a look at what I consider to be the finest of the films under the impressive Ghibli label.

10. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

This film is one that seems to be more than just animation. It moved me to tears in a way that few other movies have. The story, which concerns two Japanese children left on their own during World War II, is probably the most upsetting and thoroughly heartbreaking you'll ever see. It doesn't zoom along at the speed of light--it lingers on scenes to allow the audience to think about them. I dare you to find a single animated film that is as poignant and upsetting as this one. It's definitely not one that you'll return to time and time again, but I highly doubt you'd regret watching it (though the English dub butchers any sort of sympathy you might feel for Seita, so I'd recommend watching it in Japanese with English subtitles).

9. My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)

My Neighbors the Yamadas is quite the oddity in the Ghibli canon. It's questionable to some whether it even qualifies as anime, considering that the art style is made to resemble a comic strip, being as over-the-top minimalist as possible. I think that the art style gives the film character and charm. And charm really is what this film is about. It's not meant to be deep or moving, it's just supposed to present entirely realistic and relatable characters who charm the audience. However, part of the reason I feel that this film is underappreciated is that quite a few of the characters' "relatable" aspects and situations are unique to a Japanese culture, making the casual American viewer a bit confused and somewhat diminishing the humor. Even if it's not animated like a Japanese anime, it's very much Japanese.

8. Ponyo (2008)

Ponyo is the first of the Studio Ghibli films that I had a chance to view in the movie theater, which was very exciting for me. Not only would I get to see a Ghibli movie, I would get to see one directed by the master himself, Hayao Miyazaki! And while I was initially disappointed at what seemed to me like purely a children's film, I have since developed a fondness for its beautifully realized characters and fantastical situations. I still think that it's the most juvenile of the lot, but that doesn't make it a bad film and I'm glad I decided to rewatch it a couple years ago.

7. Porco Rosso (1992)

This is, I think, the most underappreciated of all of Miyazaki's works. It's given a bad rep for not being as deep, complex, or moving as any of his others. Despite that, I dare you to watch this film and not love it. It's hard to describe what's so compelling about Porco Rosso, but it endures as one of the best Ghibli films to date.

6. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

This is the point where if you haven't seen these movies, you should get out there and see them. This film in particular is one that is utterly heartfelt, one which celebrates the innocence, freedom, and fear that accompanies being a child. It will resonate with you no matter how old you are, and it would take a very mean, very sour person to not immediately fall in love with the characters and story. This is a film that is timeless, and one which I will be showing to my own children someday.

5. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

This film essentially accompanies Totoro in its timeless factor, but I ranked this one higher because of its sheer dedication to an all-around beautiful work of art. It's refreshing to see a movie for young kids that doesn't rely on overused clichés or obnoxious "humor," and while kids will obviously get more out of this movie, don't be surprised if you find yourself falling in love with it as well.

4. Whisper of the Heart (1995)

If I say anywhere above that a movie moved me, I don't think it could have been topped by this one. This one moved me profoundly, and moved me in a way that I don't think a film will ever move me again. It easily has the best characters on this list, in my opinion, but perhaps that's because I relate to them so well. The main characters, Shizuku and Seiji, are young teenagers, right about that awkward age when you enter high school. They're instantly recognizable and relatable and although the story takes place in Tokyo, that doesn't make the plot any less timeless. This is the rare Ghibli film that doesn't have any fantastical elements, and while I suppose some might see that as a detriment, I think it makes the story that much more powerful.

3. Princess Mononoke (1997)

Such a deep film for animation. While most of Miyazaki's films contain an environmental message somewhere, this is the most "preachy." It's probably nothing that you'll expect it to be, though. It's the grittiest of his movies, with several decapitations and several very disgusting scenes concerning a wounded boar god. It's a very lengthy movie, but you'll thank me later if you stick it out.

2. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

I'm sure that awarding Howl's Moving Castle this spot will provoke some outcries of blasphemy, as Princess Mononoke and some of the others on this list are generally agreed to be better films. However, I'm probably still getting some looks of disbelief for ranking Whisper of the Heart above My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies, so a little more won't hurt me. This is a personal list, and personally, this movie was my absolute favorite for a long time and is still in my top ten (maybe even top five). Beyond its spectacular story, beautiful art, and nostalgic setting, this was the first movie that I actually noticed the music. Those who know me know that I strive to be a film composer, and that I listen to film music an almost unholy amount. Well, here's where it all started. The first movie song I ever took the initiative to find on the internet was this movie's theme, "Merry-go-round of Life." The most consistently beautiful theme in any film I've ever viewed.

1. Spirited Away (2001)

Oh, come on! You knew this had to be the top spot from the very beginning, right...? Even if you don't personally like it, you know that I love it, and if Miyazaki never makes another film, I can call him a master of animation, due in part to this beautiful film right here. If you haven't seen it, and don't know what it's about.... I can just advise that you watch it. You might love it, you might hate it, but there's no way of knowing until you see it.

So that's my first top ten article, maybe I'll make more sometime soon!!!! Maybe they'll be a bit more popular than my soundtrack reviews, but they'll definitely be harder to write. :P

Do you agree or disagree with my choices? Which Ghibli movies were you disappointed to not see on the list? Did I mention any you wouldn't have thought to watch? Leave comments and the like below.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Kman96

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 13, 2012, 05:27:07 PM1. Spirited Away (2001)

Oh, come on! You knew this had to be the top spot from the very beginning, right...? Even if you don't personally like it, you know that I love it, and if Miyazaki never makes another film, I can call him a master of animation, due in part to this beautiful film right here. If you haven't seen it, and don't know what it's about.... I can just advise that you watch it. You might love it, you might hate it, but there's no way of knowing until you see it.

AWWWW YEAH. I knew it ;) I love Spirited Away. SUCH a good movie. I remember watching it when I was a kid, and with the Parental Piggies, it freaked me out, yet intrigued me at the same time.  I don't think this could ever get topped by Studio Ghibli.
Party Hard!
[close]

SlowPokemon

Yeah Spirited Away is awesomesauce

A lot of people don't like it though

Anyway

Top Ten: Danny Elfman film scores

All right, so it was only a matter of time before I got to film scores, and what better way to start it off than with one of my all-time favorite film composers, Danny Elfman? Elfman is notorious for scoring all of Tim Burton's films, save for two (Ed Wood was produced during a fight between the two, and Sweeney Todd was an adaptation of a musical by Stephen Sondheim), as well as a few other well-known ones. Today I look at what I consider to be the composer's best moments in his career.

10. Spider-Man (2002)

While not quite as associated with Danny Elfman as is his other superhero theme (to be mentioned later), Spider-Man's music score is instantly recognizable and will likely give you chills in its overpowering melody (characterized by two soaring brass notes) and wild bongo drums. I quite enjoy this score, mostly for the main theme, but also because it offers a glimpse into what Elfman can do when he's separated from Tim Burton.

9. Men in Black (1997)

Another look at Elfman's career away from Burton, Men in Black succeeds due to a snazzy main theme packed with masculinity, humor, and zaniness. There's also a pretty memories theme within the score, but honestly the opening titles theme is hands down the best on the album. When the theme kicks in after the extended introduction, you can't help but to feel the pull of the music.

8. Beetlejuice (1988)

Beetlejuice is just one of those movies that everyone likes, and no one knows why they like. A quirky comedy about a dead couple who want to get rid of their house's new inhabitants, it made like five or six times its budget, and was the success Burton needed to be greenlit as the director of Batman. The score expertly mixes comedy with horror and, like the film, remains a classic despite--or rather, because of--its many quirks.

7. Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985)

Elfman's first score still stands among his best, with its unabashedly zany and frenetic motifs that romp around relentlessly until they have all but beaten themselves into your brain. With a psychotic march ("Breakfast Machine"), a mysterious waltz ("Simone's Theme"), wild horror music ("Clown Dream"), and a circus-like main titles, it's an excellent first film score.

6. Batman Returns (1992)

Elfman's Batman theme is one of the most instantly recognizable in movie history. The reason I listed this score rather than the first Batman was that I personally believe this score is the better one on the whole. With such beauties as "Selina Transforms," which is purely horror music in its first track and then hauntingly lovely music in its continuation, or "Birth of a Penguin," which effectively evokes unease and utter enrapturement simultaneously, this is one of the movie score greats.

5. Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Tim Burton's adaptation of Lewis Carroll's novel fared extremely well at the box office, but wasn't exactly a critical success, with the usual praise of visual effects and criticism of actual plot and character. However, the music was Elfman's best work in years, seemingly revisiting his old style from his masterpieces. "Alice's Theme" is the central motif here, hauntingly singing its way through the score, and it couldn't be a better effort from Elfman.

4. Dark Shadows (2012)

Elfman's next score for Burton is similar in places to Alice, but overall it takes a very different approach than we're used to seeing: actual horror music. The signature hauntingly beautiful choral themes are here, but they're counterbalanced by a spectacularly spooky ensemble led by a bass flute as well as several tracks reliant on dissonant synthesizer sounds. Despite what feels like unexplored territory, it very much fits in with the other Elfman scores.

3. Big Fish (2003)

Take everything that's beautiful and poignant in Elfman's other scores. Now take away anything wacky. That will give you some idea of what Elfman produced for Big Fish. Its main theme is genuinely heartfelt and while the score is a bit difficult to swallow at first, it's definitely one of the composer's most emotionally moving to date.

2. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

This movie is one of my favorites of all time. Directed by stopmotion master Henry Selick (James and the Giant Peach, Coraline), its charming story and quirky characters have earned the film a rightful cult following, and its ten songs, while simple in structure, are incredibly clever in lyrics and performed passionately by all involved, including Elfman himself as Jack Skellington.

1. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

This movie is my favorite of all time. It touched my heart in a way few other movies have, and the score contains an achingly beautiful fairytale theme as well as a gorgeous love theme that is universally recognized as one of the best movie themes of all time. Elfman has yet to match this wonderful music.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.