News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

I've been thinking about the idea that extremist groups arise in desperate times. It seems like were in a time which "is lead" by "strong leaders". And I want to have my opinion about it. Most "extremist groups" are lead by some "strong leader" holding the bonds or inflaming ideas, but the big question is why does this exist and for what purpose? And I believe that it is because in desperate times people feel hopeless they're like sitting at the pub saying stuff like "well i lost my job, lot's immigrants are coming into our country, and blahblah changes are happening and my life is bad and I don't seem to be able to help it". So what they then turn to when they can't help themselves is... a "strong leader", they see someone perfect and fine, with great karisma and wealth and thinks "that guy seems pretty happy and fine and has no problems, maybe he's the answer to these desperate times". And if there is one thing most "strong leaders" seem to have in common is their ability to "take actions under pressure" and their ability to "ignore the people and only care about themselves and their will". And the reason they thrive under hard situation in bad living standards is because the "stage" is basically set for their strong abilities which make them stick out. And I think that in a way even they care about the people thinking "I've had enough of these desperate times! There needs to be a change, here and now! And it needs to be a big change because people aren't living happily the way it's going now! And I am the only one who can do it!".

And I think that it is important to understand that when we got Trump as the American president, and various extreme parties rising up, and various random influential politician rising up from nowhere, like that French right-wing politician. And maybe don't approach this situation with fear but instead understanding saying "If you, the strong leader, can fix our problems, then fine do so! But if your just planning on loafing around with your power, then we, the people, we'll take initiative and take over the power and take control and bring forward solutions to our problems ourselves!"
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Harsh times create good people.
Good people create good times.
Good times create weak people.
Weak people create harsh times.

I don't necessarily agree but it sounds good so
what is shitpost

Tobbeh99

Y it was a bit similar to what I meant.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

I want to continue on my previous topic on "strong leaders".

This time I want to talk about how "we" can avoid them, if that is "our" goal. And I think the answer is actually pretty simple, if people don't want authoritarian "strong" leaders then we, the people, have to strong ourselves. We have to stand up to what we think is right and deny what we think is wrong. Sometimes I feel a lot of people reason in fear when voting for a political party, like "I'm voting for x party, because I hate y party and they're (lots of accusive bad words)" rather than "I vote for this party because I really think they're politics are important and that they stand for the values that I stand for and bring for questions that I see important and think that we should focus on". And not only do I dislike this fear and anger within the people because I think that people just simply make more poor decisions when they vote with fear or anger. But I think the entire society just grows more tense and stiff when the people are filled with fear and anger, it becomes a society when people starts to think that "That guy seem like an (bad word), can't trust him for sure", or "x (bad people) are growing more influential these days, horrifying to see this". Rather than a more positive society where people think like "hmm that guy seems kind of different to me, I don't personally like it but maybe he cares about things I don't see as important" or "these groups are growing more popular these days, I wonder why it is so and what and if it can bring something positive to society, even though I maybe don't see it that way". 

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 02, 2016, 02:37:45 PMHarsh times create good people.
Good people create good times.
Good times create weak people.
Weak people create harsh times.

I don't necessarily agree but it sounds good so
this logic is exactly why fdr was full of crap
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 03, 2016, 05:26:00 PMthis logic is exactly why fdr was full of crap
With all that economic growth and being re-elected twice yeah
what is shitpost

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 03, 2016, 05:26:00 PMthis logic is exactly why fdr was full of crap

He's full of crap because of his japanese internment camps. Any other reason is just the conservative monolouge of "big government, must hate."
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Tobbeh99

So I've gotten more interested in politics lately, so I thought looking around on facebook for some interesting group discussing politics. And I found this one (https://www.facebook.com/groups/666623716711188/). It's called "Political debate-group from left to right". Seemed legit, and not too "whiny" and "full of complaints". ...But turns out the group seemed more like "politics hell" (like Melee hell, Sm4sh hell etc.). All post seems to be about rasists, controversial opinions, communism etc. To conclude things "hot topics" which I'm not interested in taking part of. When it comes to politics I want a more calm and rational debate concerning critical and important issues in the society and propose and create creative, innovative and adequate solutions to problems people face. And not just throwing a bunch of rocks against "the other side" and complaining about them being bad. Sad that there is so little display and discussion about concrete political actions and debate in the society, most stuff about politics seems just to be about "having an opinion" and "I'm right, you're wrong", not that strange that people think that politicians just "sit there and get money for having an opinion" when stuff like this is basically "politics on the internet"! Which is what people read.

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

there's a facebook page called "Occupy Democrats Logic" whose purpose is entirely to throw dirt at the "Occupy Democrats" page.  I hate that.
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 03, 2016, 11:15:29 PMWith all that economic growth and being re-elected twice yeah
I thought he had a fourth term? So wouldn't that be re-elected thrice?
Not trying to sound smart alecky in saying that; I'm jc as to if he only had 3 terms.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

3 full terms, my bad. He died during his last one IIRC
what is shitpost

E. Gadd Industries

Ah. Makes sense now, and I believe that's how it went.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I wish the dialogue about Aleppo would also mention the horrible aspects of the rebels that we back.
what is shitpost

mikey

unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Because while Syria's government assault let by Assad is a disaster and is taking countless numbers of lives of innocent civilians, many of them children, arming the so called "moderate rebels", many of whom are actually the Syria branch of Al Qaeda (Al Nusra) is a horrible idea.
what is shitpost