News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Facebook suggestion regarding ZIP files

Started by JDMEK5, July 26, 2012, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

I don't know how many of you have seen the suggestion, but on facebook, someone suggested having another link for every song that would download a ZIP file containing MUS, MIDI, and PDF.
What do you think?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

spitllama

... Why?

Seems like extra work for our mods to add a ZIP of every song. Besides, it's so easy to just click on what you need (no one should ever need all 3 anyhow right? You either need just the MUS, or the PDF and MIDI)
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

JDMEK5

*shrugs shoulders*

He said it would be a bit easier, but you're right.
It's already so simple; it wouldn't be worth the trouble of making ZIP links for all those 2,116 sheets!

EDIT: It really wouldn't be nice to put our wonderful mods through the strainer like that either.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Quote from: spitllama on July 26, 2012, 08:27:24 PMSeems like extra work for our mods to add a ZIP of every song. Besides, it's so easy to just click on what you need (no one should ever need all 3 anyhow right? You either need just the MUS, or the PDF and MIDI)

My thoughts exactly. If you're looking for a pianist looking for a VG song to play, you'd click the PDF, or maybe download the MIDI to play it back in Synthesia. If you're one of those MIDI-based remixers, you'd click the MIDI and/or PDF. If you're an NSM arranger, you'd click the MUS to check the score, and maybe make some edits. I really can't think of any reason why a person would need to download our files in mass, unless they were trying to steal from NSM and make a duplicate site.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bespinben on July 26, 2012, 08:32:36 PMMy thoughts exactly. If you're looking for a pianist looking for a VG song to play, you'd click the PDF, or maybe download the MIDI to play it back in Synthesia. If you're one of those MIDI-based remixers, you'd click the MIDI and/or PDF. If you're an NSM arranger, you'd click the MUS to check the score, and maybe make some edits. I really can't think of any reason why a person would need to download our files in mass, unless they were trying to steal from NSM and make a duplicate site.
I did that for fixing the sheets so I can have all of the sheets for a game in one neat folder.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Well yah but you're a mod, not a random visitor to the site
Submissions Page

Bespinben

Quote from: Shadoninja on July 26, 2012, 08:34:36 PMI did that for fixing the sheets so I can have all of the sheets for a game in one neat folder.

Yes, but that was forum-specific, for NSM purposes. Making ZIPs public is what is worrisome.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

Jamaha

There's probably some handy function for zipping things in PHP.

Let's just say that the suggestion is noted*.

* "Noted" referring to the fact that Jamaha has seen the suggestion and given it a small thought, maybe going "Hmh" at the same time. Nonetheless, there is no guarantee or promise of the suggestion resulting in anything soon, or ever.

JDMEK5

Well, yeah. It's not worth the trouble. Let's just leave it at that.

My Arrangements

MoboMoga

I tend to ZIP my files because it compresses the file, therefore making the file size smaller. It's useful for Dropbox and stuff.. and it seems more easier to give a single link than three different links that could have errors in it..

JDMEK5

I like having 3 links because the midi only allows you to hear it without actually downloading it. Likewise, the PDF link individually allows you to see it without downloading it.

My Arrangements

BonusPwnage

I don't even know how to make a link to a zip file. I mean, I have dropbox but there's no "public" folder.

spitllama

Yah dropbox won't be able to help you make zip files.

I'm not sure of alternative ways of doing this, but I use IZArc
Submissions Page

Bubbles

Quote from: spitllama on November 10, 2012, 11:21:01 AMYah dropbox won't be able to help you make zip files.

I'm not sure of alternative ways of doing this, but I use IZArc

I just used dropbox to make a zip file. In the public folder right click and click "New", then it opens a side menu that has the option "Compressed (zipped) file". Unless you have a mac, then I cant help you. Im sure theres a way though