News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Jompa's Compositions/Non-Video Game Related Arrangements/Performances

Started by Jompa, July 24, 2012, 03:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

You mean Amity Square, right? :)
And you're right, I noticed too actually (when I was finished with the melody), they are very similar (mainly at the beginning of the melody).
They both mainly base themselves on the pentatonic scale, the melody starts on the major seventh, and the chord progressions in their B-parts both start on the subdominant (and sorta descend quite similarly). Also, they both use (or rather, depend on) the whole "tonica as a bi-dominant to subdominant"-effect relatively often, making the pieces quite similar.
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Ah, no. I just meant you could of put it in that game and it would of fit right in. XD
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Jompa

Me and a classmate made a little theme, and we tried giving it some variation :P here:
MP3 - The Circus Song
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

I made a "piano draft" of a concert band song I'm writing, so I guess I'll just post it here :3

"March for World Peace and Love Nice for Help" <-- Don't ask about the title, I wasn't the one who came up with it.
PDF
MP3
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Jompa

I made a string quartet.
These days all we do in music specialization class is compose, and our current assignment is "make a simple motive from the notes A, C# & G# and use it to write a 16 measures long AABA-form piece for string quartet, with a couple of intro measures". And I did that in one hour. And because the rest of the class won't be finished with this for like a month or so, I got the extra-assignment "pretend that the AABA you already wrote is only A, and use that to write a new AABA string quartet piece where the B-part is in the variant minor and also different from the A-parts". And I just finished that too, now that I got home. And I'm pretty happy with it considering I don't know anything at all about this kinda classical music, and also considering I wrote it over the course of half a school day + an hour at home.
I figured I'd post it here, for everyone to laugh at n'stuff.

"String Quartet in A-major No. 2"
PDF
MP3
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Jompa

Thanks a lot!

Just to critique myself here: I think I was being a bit too "crazy" for it's own good with it. I'm not saying that because of some musical rules or anything, but from a listener's perspective there really is a bit to much information to take inn - I feel like I didn't do a good enough job to properly establish the motive before making all the variations and going crazy with the B-part. I think it would be better if I just repeated the first A-part instead of coming with a new A-part, and then just doing something out of the second repeat house to go over to B, and doing a crazier (and maybe longer) A-part at the end, kinda like the second A-part.
But even so, I don't think I'll do anything about it now - I'll just learn from it instead.
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

I made this short piece in music specialization class today: (I did it in NotePad, so you can imagine the limitations)
[Vinter] - for 2 clarinets & string quartet

Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Seriously, you're amazing, those melodies flow so nicely through each other (um... I don't know how to word that :3).  Don't worry about overloading with information, your stuff is pretty tame compared to a lot of contrapuntal stuff out there.

Jompa

Thank you!

Today I was bored after finishing early on midterms, so I passed the time before we had to turn it inn writing a string quartet.
I had no means of listening to it, and I also used NotePad, so I'm blaming any lack of quality on that.
So despite that^, as well as being really short and simple, I think it turned out kinda good.

"Norsktentamenstrykekvartetten" ("The Norwegian Midterm String Quartet"):
MUS
MIDI
PDF
Birdo for Smash

Clanker37

I really like all of your compositions! I'm not well acquainted with a string quartet, but your compositions sound really nice!

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Jompa

When I came home from school today there was only one thing on my mind: I wanted to make a march.
I've been working on it for 6 hours non-stop now, and I'm finally finished.
This is more of a stand-tune than an actual march, but I think that counts as a march too.

"Aprilsmarsj" - for marching band
PDF
MP3

If you want to see the MUS or the MIDI just change the url's :)
Birdo for Smash