Hi, would someone help me? :)

Started by Jompa, July 23, 2012, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

My question is:
Does the theme from "The Day of Sagittarius III" count as video game music?
The official name is "pikopiko geemu myuujikku". It has a cool melody/bass thing - reminds me of Balloon Fight. So I wanted to arrange it, but if noone's ever gone play it, then it's not worth it. Therefore I ask: Does it count as video game music, and will it be accepted on the site?
You might wonder; What is "The Day of Sagittarius III"? It's a game that doesn't exist, actually. It's from the anime "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", from some episode (I don't remember which), where the computer club makes a PC game and challenges the main characters to a duel. Actually, I think i would prefer help from someone who've watched the anime, or somehow knows about it, but anyone's fine really.
The "game" has a pretty cool (extremely simple) theme, which I'm wondering would count as video game music.
Here's even a link
So yeah - anyone wanna help me? :) I'll repeat my questions:
Does the theme from "The Day of Sagittarius III" count as video game music?
Would the theme from "The Day of Sagittarius III" be accepted on the site?
Thanks in advance :)
Birdo for Smash

JDMEK5

The piece would definitely be accepted if it was also included in a game of the same franchise.
But if it's only from an anime, I don't think it would be counted as a video game piece.

If the situation is the latter:
A question that might make a difference is:
Is the anime based off or closely related to a video game of some kind? (e.g. Pokémon)

If it does have a video game counterpart, however, that doesn't guarantee that it will pass subs if the song itself is ultimately only in the anime.
The reason I said that is because we had at one time a section for Pokémon Anime, but it was taken down because it ultimately wasn't video game.

So basically, bottom line, if it does go hand-in-hand with a game title, you should talk to Winter or Deku or someone like that.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Jompa

I see. Well your reply just makes my question look stupid, which is great 'cause then I got my answer! ^.^
It's only from the anime, not from any game of the same franchise, so yeah. Probably wont be accepted.
Well Thanks alot for your help!
Birdo for Smash

Shadoninja

This is a very interesting topic for discussion.

In the form that it's presented, it's not video game music. It's not a game that can be played in the real world.

The problem is where do we draw the line? What are we defining as video game music?
There are plenty of games where there's music from non-game sources. Pokemon Puzzle League on N64 for example. If someone wanted to arrange music from the anime, they could use that game and I think that would be okay. Contrast that with music from Star Wars Battlefront for example. The music is directly from the films, and I don't think arranging those for this site would be okay.

Maybe it has something to do with purity of presentation.

I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on the matter.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

Hmm, well if it's found in a video game, I think it's fine. Take for instance my arrangement of "This is Halloween" from Kingdom Hearts. The arrangement is nearly identical to the film's version (The Nightmare Before Christmas), but it was still accepted, and I think it should. Because Shimomura saw fit to put that song in the Nightmare world. I think if it's found within a video game, we should accept it, even if it's directly taken from a film-- a la the Lego Star Wars/Harry Potter/Pirates of the Caribbean/etc.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

fabbemannen

Well, it is basically from a game, even though you can't play the game. I don't think it would kill us if it was included in the other-section, might be a fun thing to have. Anime-studios aren't normally that picky with the copyrights as far as I know

Then we could always judge depending on how many gamers that actually would be interested in it or associate it with games. Take the main theme from the Pokemon-anime for example. Most people that plays Pokemon (and everyone else) associates it with the gaming-franchise, even though it isn't actually from the games (exc. TCG where they actually mention it).

It probably would be best if you shared it on a site where they aim more on that anime in particular, but idk really

MaestroUGC

I believe this site is more concerned with actual video games, not games within works of fiction. If it is a real, playable game within our world, then it should be allowed. If the music only exists within the context of the show, then I shouldn't be allowed, regardless of the context. Unless the game in question can escape the media it is set in, it's not a real video game, and therefore does not fit with the mission of NSM.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Shadoninja

Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 24, 2012, 02:06:46 PMI believe this site is more concerned with actual video games, not games within works of fiction. If it is a real, playable game within our world, then it should be allowed. If the music only exists within the context of the show, then I shouldn't be allowed, regardless of the context. Unless the game in question can escape the media it is set in, it's not a real video game, and therefore does not fit with the mission of NSM.
Yeah because ultimately it is still anime music.

Should we allow arrangements for Wreck-It-Ralph because it's based on a fictional video game? No, we shouldn't. Only if they released an official game based on it.

Discussing here because it shouldn't be a separate topic anyhow.

Quote from: Jompa on July 24, 2012, 05:16:52 AMDoes visual novel music count as video game music? It probably doesn't (and probably shouldn't), but I'm wondering.
For the most part. There are many great examples of visual novels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Dusk:_Room_215
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Layton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999:_Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors especially this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Trick:_Phantom_Detective

I don't know much about visual novels, so I can't comment on those outside of the ones listed.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Jompa

Quote from: Shadoninja on July 24, 2012, 03:02:41 PMShould we allow arrangements for Wreck-It-Ralph because it's based on a fictional video game? No, we shouldn't. Only if they released an official game based on it.
I like that example. Good one - and I agree, The Day of Sagittarius III should not count as an official video game.
Quote from: Shadoninja on July 24, 2012, 03:02:41 PMDiscussing here because it shouldn't be a separate topic anyhow.

I don't know much about visual novels, so I can't comment on those outside of the ones listed.
Your examples are more of adventure games than visual novels, but it's almost the same. You did have some great examples. What I would consider visual novels would for example be Air, Clannad, Kanon, Higurashi/Umineko no Naku Koro ni(especially these ones), Katawa shoujo - Alot of people would consider these games, but alot of people would probably disagree - calling them novels.
I don't really have an opinion, but I want to know if they really count as games, video games - and if music from these "games" would be accepted on the site.
Of course, I think it would be cool to include Kanon music for example - I'd actually like to transcribe some of that.
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Shadoninja on July 24, 2012, 03:02:41 PMYeah because ultimately it is still anime music.

Should we allow arrangements for Wreck-It-Ralph because it's based on a fictional video game? No, we shouldn't. Only if they released an official game based on it.

Discussing here because it shouldn't be a separate topic anyhow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Dusk:_Room_215
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Layton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999:_Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors especially this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Trick:_Phantom_Detective

Professor Layton is a puzzle game, not a visual novel. And same goes for Phoenix Wright. I can't speak for any of the other ones because I haven't played them.

SlowPokemon

This does beg the question, though - what about movies that continue a video game series? The one I'm thinking of right now is Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, which takes place between the fourth and fifth Layton games. The music in the film is partly arranged orchestra music from the game, and partly new material from the same composer. Should pieces from the film be accepted?

MaestroUGC

The music has to be in the game, remixed or not. Adaptive works are nice but unless the pieces in questions are in a game it does not meet the requirements set beore you.

Jompa

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 25, 2012, 07:08:22 AMThis does beg the question, though - what about movies that continue a video game series? The one I'm thinking of right now is Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, which takes place between the fourth and fifth Layton games. The music in the film is partly arranged orchestra music from the game, and partly new material from the same composer. Should pieces from the film be accepted?
I actually watched the movie, just because of your reply; and I've come to my conclusion that I don't think the music from/in the film count as video game music, no.
Again, there is a question about if Professor Layton count as a visual novel, adventure game or a video game - Either way, I think it should be accepted, but if Professor Layton classifies as a visual novel AND is accepted, should other visual novels be accepted too? I don't have an opinion, I'm wondering.

Edit 5 seconds later: My english is bad so if someone didn't understand, tell me.
Birdo for Smash

MaestroUGC

It's my understanding that Prof. Layton is more interactive than a visual novel, which can classify it as a game. Visual novels are about as interactive as a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Books.

Jompa

I understand, but it was my understanding that Prof Layton, weren't interactive at all (?). Was I very very wrong or am I somewhat right? Never played it, so I can't tell.
QuoteVisual novels are about as interactive as a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Books.
That doesn't mean they aren't games - the guy who introduced me to visual novels is considering them as full-worthy games, and I know there are a lot of people who agree.
Birdo for Smash