News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Favorite Key

Started by JDMEK5, July 06, 2012, 04:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favorite out of the listed "most common" keys?

C Major (No accidentals)
3 (11.1%)
G Major (1 sharp)
3 (11.1%)
D Major (2 sharps)
2 (7.4%)
F Major (1 flat)
4 (14.8%)
None of the above. I like variety!
15 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

FSM-Reapr

Art>>››››››››››Science

Bespinben

When I say "approaching music more as science than art", I am meaning to say that I have a much easier time comprehending and appreciating aspects of music than have a certain degree of measurability. Making transcriptions or arrangements comes easily because there's a relative sense of measurability, of how well one captured or expounded on the original as well as how playable it is on the given instrument. It's not an exact science perse, but it's still somewhat measurable.

When it comes to the tones of different keys though, in my case, it's like asking whether I'd like to eat ice cream in a bowl or in a cup. Sure, the presentation is slightly different, but the ice cream is still the same.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on July 17, 2012, 08:53:18 PMWhen it comes to the tones of different keys though, in my case, it's like asking whether I'd like to eat ice cream in a bowl or in a cup. Sure, the presentation is slightly different, but the ice cream is still the same.

I like that example.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

pumpy_heart

Quote from: Bespinben on July 17, 2012, 08:53:18 PMWhen I say "approaching music more as science than art", I am meaning to say that I have a much easier time comprehending and appreciating aspects of music than have a certain degree of measurability. Making transcriptions or arrangements comes easily because there's a relative sense of measurability, of how well one captured or expounded on the original as well as how playable it is on the given instrument. It's not an exact science perse, but it's still somewhat measurable.

When it comes to the tones of different keys though, in my case, it's like asking whether I'd like to eat ice cream in a bowl or in a cup. Sure, the presentation is slightly different, but the ice cream is still the same.
You'll see in time grasshopper. The ice cream has many flavors, inherently composed by the chefs of the world. It's up to the musical performer to decide how to present it, be a bowl, cup, or a cone. 
Chocolate will always be different from vanilla, as will all the keys be inherently different as each start on a different pitch. If you get a chance to, try to develop relative hearing. You'll begin to realize what hits your core and what resonates with you.

Jompa

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 19, 2012, 08:32:02 AMYou'll see in time grasshopper. The ice cream has many flavors, inherently composed by the chefs of the world. It's up to the musical performer to decide how to present it, be a bowl, cup, or a cone. 
*presses the like-button*
Birdo for Smash

JDMEK5

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 19, 2012, 08:32:02 AMYou'll see in time grasshopper. The ice cream has many flavors, inherently composed by the chefs of the world. It's up to the musical performer to decide how to present it, be a bowl, cup, or a cone. 
Couldn't have said it better myself!
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

FSM-Reapr

Pumpy sure is good with words. :)

zezhyrule

Quote from: Bespinben on July 17, 2012, 08:53:18 PMWhen it comes to the tones of different keys though, in my case, it's like asking whether I'd like to eat ice cream in a bowl or in a cup. Sure, the presentation is slightly different, but the ice cream is still the same.

Just because you can't sense that the flavor of the ice cream is in fact changed entirely and not just the vessel it's contained in, doesn't mean that the flavor/texture whatever isn't changed. If you get what I'm saying. Because I don't. These analogies confuse me  :-\
"Music is the space between the notes" – Claude Debussy

fingerz

What happened to Bb? Not common? I like that key the most. A lot of beautiful songs are written in Bb major. :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

JDMEK5

I ran out of options on the poll. :P That would've been next.

But yeah, Bb is extremely common. Especially for jazz and orchestral works.
(Might have something to do with the fact that a lot of instruments such as trumpets clarinets are usually in Bb)

My Arrangements

universe-X

C# minor- much easier to remember songs in this key for me.

JDMEK5

Yeah, that's really nice. My favorite in C# minor is the third movement of the famous Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven.

My Arrangements

universe-X

^lol, that's one of the songs I memorized.

And the Revolutionary Etude, originally by Chopin, transcribed for left hand by Godowsky.

SlowPokemon

Moonlight Sonata is fun but it's too overplayed -_o everyone should learn it though

C#minor is best - Lily's Theme from the last Harry Potter theme
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.