News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Favorite Key

Started by JDMEK5, July 06, 2012, 04:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favorite out of the listed "most common" keys?

C Major (No accidentals)
3 (11.1%)
G Major (1 sharp)
3 (11.1%)
D Major (2 sharps)
2 (7.4%)
F Major (1 flat)
4 (14.8%)
None of the above. I like variety!
15 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

SlowPokemon

Quote from: zezhyrule on July 07, 2012, 08:21:40 AMNope.

I hate to quote wikipedia for this, but here you go.

Taking Bartok for an example, he hardly used key signatures in many of his solo piano works. In his 14 bagatelles for instance, only the first one had a key signature (two, actually). It doesn't mean the rest were in C or Am, and it doesn't mean they were atonal since Bartok didn't believe there was such a thing.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 06, 2012, 09:58:29 PMNo, key signature should ALWAYS relate to key.
Even if the key signature is different, it can always be rewritten more cleanly with the key signature--which is always its TRUE key signature.

Quote from: fabbemannen on July 07, 2012, 08:23:44 AMAlso interesting since he's my favorite movie-composer (whatever happened to that topic)

Hans Zimmer is certainly appealing and talented at scoring films, but often lacks the depth of other composers. His music is simplistic and dramatic as opposed to the emotional depth of Danny Elfman or Howard Shore. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Zimmer and his piece "A Dark Knight" for the same soundtrack is one of the most emotionally resonant pieces I've ever heard--but I feel like he concentrates more on making simple sound good rather than trying something more complex, and only truly moves his audience by accident. There isn't as much to analyze with Zimmer--but again, that's fine as he provides more listenable entertainment (well, most of the time....).

And I'm not trying to come across as one of those annoying Zimmer bashers because in truth I do love his work. I appreciate that each composer has a style that works for him or her.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

fabbemannen

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 07, 2012, 11:29:52 AMEven if the key signature is different, it can always be rewritten more cleanly with the key signature--which is always its TRUE key signature.

Hans Zimmer is certainly appealing and talented at scoring films, but often lacks the depth of other composers. His music is simplistic and dramatic as opposed to the emotional depth of Danny Elfman or Howard Shore. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Zimmer and his piece "A Dark Knight" for the same soundtrack is one of the most emotionally resonant pieces I've ever heard--but I feel like he concentrates more on making simple sound good rather than trying something more complex, and only truly moves his audience by accident. There isn't as much to analyze with Zimmer--but again, that's fine as he provides more listenable entertainment (well, most of the time....).

And I'm not trying to come across as one of those annoying Zimmer bashers because in truth I do love his work. I appreciate that each composer has a style that works for him or her.
I mainly like Zimmer for being "epic". It's those pieces where you just gets overwhelmed with that massive soundtrack and *insert something unexpected/overwhelming happening here* together. And the Madagascar-OST was kinda interesting

zezhyrule

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 07, 2012, 11:29:52 AMEven if the key signature is different, it can always be rewritten more cleanly with the key signature--which is always its TRUE key signature.

Now you're not making any sense. But there's no use arguing with you I guess.
"Music is the space between the notes" – Claude Debussy

Olimar12345

What I meant was, that I prefer 5 flats. Idc the mode or key, really, I just like working with 5 flats. (Thought if I said Db you guys would know what I meant)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jompa

F major and its relative, D minor are my favorites: only one flat makes it easy to play, Eb instruments only has two sharps (when arranging for concert band), and there is something about the key that's just pleasant to listen to.
I also like E major & minor, but NOT for concert band arrangements! :)
Birdo for Smash

Bespinben

Not to sound condesending, but I find this whole topic bogus. Other than what one might consider to be easier to play, there are no differences in keys besides the pitch itself, as the near-universal adoption of equal temperment in Western music circa 20th century eliminates any possible different tone colors between keys. Now if we used a form of well-temperment in modern music, then yes, this would be a very interesting topic...
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

pumpy_heart

Quote from: Bespinben on July 15, 2012, 09:54:25 PMNot to sound condesending, but I find this whole topic bogus. Other the what one might consider to easier to play, there are no differences in keys besides the pitch itself, as the near-universal adoption of equal temperment in Western music circa 20th century eliminates any possible different tone colors between keys. Now if we used a form of well-temperment in modern music, then yes, this would be a very interesting topic...
Not to refute the basis of equal temperament, but its goal wasn't to eliminate key differentiation. It does eliminate the tone-colors caused by the other tuning systems. However, as long as pitches are different, each key will resonate different to each person. I personally find E and F#/Gb to be very chippy major keys and Db to be a confused key. That's how those pitches resonate.
It's one of the reasons atonal became so popular while tonal systems began to fade in classical music.

Pit0010

hahah I LOVE THIS POLL XD

well i like the flat keys when it comes to piano. but on the violin....i like sharp....
xD i donno why
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

pumpy_heart

Sharps flow better on the violin because the strings are based on pitches related to sharp keys, G, D, A, and E. Tuning is more pure for these keys than others, as the string divides perfectly for the 4th and 5th.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on July 15, 2012, 09:54:25 PMNot to sound condesending, but I find this whole topic bogus. Other than what one might consider to be easier to play, there are no differences in keys besides the pitch itself, as the near-universal adoption of equal temperment in Western music circa 20th century eliminates any possible different tone colors between keys.

I don't know if you've played songs in alternate keys before, but if you have I think you've probably noticed that some keys sound better for certain.... I don't know.... expressions (if you will). It really depends on the song.
For example, a favorite of mine is Sky Sands from Kirby Air Ride. It's in E minor, but also sounds nice in C# minor.
It doesn't sound great in every key though.
I'm currently developing the ability to determine a key by general tones only.
So each key has it's own... tone. It's own... feel. It's really all about personal preference.

When I started this post, I wasn't exactly talking about which are more playable on a given instrument, but what sound each individual likes best.
But it doesn't really matter... I'm not about to complain.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 15, 2012, 11:22:20 PMHowever, as long as pitches are different, each key will resonate different to each person. I personally find E and F#/Gb to be very chippy major keys and Db to be a confused key.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 16, 2012, 07:55:15 PM...each key has it's own... tone. It's own... feel. It's really all about personal preference.

When I started this post, I wasn't exactly talking about which are more playable on a given instrument, but what sound each individual likes best.

Perhaps that's one of my musical weaknesses. I tend to approach approach music more as a science than an art, and, for whatever reason, I simply can't feel these differences between equally tempered keys. It's just... so arbitrary, and it frustrates me at times.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

fabbemannen

Quote from: Bespinben on July 16, 2012, 11:03:49 PMPerhaps that's one of my musical weaknesses. I tend to approach approach music more as a science than an art, and, for whatever reason, I simply can't feel these differences between equally tempered keys. It's just... so arbitrary, and it frustrates me at times.
It isn't often people use Fmajor for a dark and mysterious dungeon for example. Some keys suit better for some stuff and etc.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Bespinben on July 16, 2012, 11:03:49 PMPerhaps that's one of my musical weaknesses. I tend to approach approach music more as a science than an art, and, for whatever reason, I simply can't feel these differences between equally tempered keys. It's just... so arbitrary, and it frustrates me at times.

Aww that's depressing. :( someone as talented as you really deserves to feel the music and see it as an art.

MaestroUGC

Who says he needs to look at it as an art more than a science?

Look at Iannis Xenakis, he seemed to make it work.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

I do. You get much more out of music approaching it as an art than as a science. I honestly don't give a fuck how much more successful you are approaching it logically (excuse my language). That's something I'm entirely opinionated on, music should be about passion. :PPP not that the two can't be mixed, but...