News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Atonal Help!

Started by insaneintherain, June 24, 2012, 08:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insaneintherain

Hey guys! So I need a little bit of help with some Pikmin 2 music...

The tune "Giant Breadbug" is very... wierd. Wierd in that I can't find any key center. If you guys could look at what I have now and tell me what key to put it, that'd be great. I do have a suspicion that there will be no key noticeable, and if that is truly the case, then help me with a rule on accidentals, as to which notes should be marked and sharps and flats (enharmonically). Thanks in advance!

[GCN/WII] Pikmin 2: Giant Breadbug *WIP* [ZIP]

Youtube:

pumpy_heart

If it means anything, I would focus strongly on the melody. That bass line is so low, pitch almost gets jarbled. But I'm pretty sure it starts A-A, A#-A#. Then A#-A# to B-B. Could just be my speakers/ears.
Lends itself to being chromatic near the beginning. But the melody is fairly tonal. Too late to pick it out, but maybe this helps some.

insaneintherain

Quote from: pumpy_heart on June 24, 2012, 09:20:45 PMIf it means anything, I would focus strongly on the melody. That bass line is so low, pitch almost gets jarbled. But I'm pretty sure it starts A-A, A#-A#. Then A#-A# to B-B. Could just be my speakers/ears.
Lends itself to being chromatic near the beginning. But the melody is fairly tonal. Too late to pick it out, but maybe this helps some.
I actually went directly from a MIDI file for the beginning+bass. I just meant the notation, as in sharps vs. flats enharmonically.

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: insaneintherain on June 24, 2012, 10:09:06 PMI actually went directly from a MIDI file for the beginning+bass.

Don't do that. Or if you do, at least make sure you check against the original very carefully. Your sheet is a fair bit different from the start of the vid you linked.

insaneintherain

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on June 25, 2012, 01:02:51 AMDon't do that. Or if you do, at least make sure you check against the original very carefully. Your sheet is a fair bit different from the start of the vid you linked.
Do you mean the melody or base line? I think the bass line is correct from what I can hear (if only there were a low G# on the piano). The melody may be incorrect, but it sounds that way because of randomization. I'm not totally sure if this song is randomized like the others, but it probably is, meaning that each of the 2 bar phrases by the low sax and the high mallet instrument is randomly selected from 3 possible, and the last phrase is set, so that one doesn't change. (olimar please come to my rescue xD)

Olimar12345

hmmmm... This is what I think the form is:

-4 measures vamp
-4 bars low reedy melody(2 bars of constant 8ths, 1 bar randomized held low note, 1 bar mallets)x2
-8 bar set ending
-repeat
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

insaneintherain

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 25, 2012, 12:53:54 PMhmmmm... This is what I think the form is:

-4 measures vamp
-4 bars low reedy melody(2 bars of constant 8ths, 1 bar randomized held low note, 1 bar mallets)x2
-8 bar set ending
-repeat
Wouldn't it be a 4 bar set ending to end off with a 16 bar phrase? That's what I thought too. Okay, so the first two phrases are randomized. Gotcha! Now to just work on the baseline and accidentals.

Zunawe

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I've found that it may be easier to hear a low or high part in Nintendo 3DS Sound. If you open the pitch/speed modifier and put the cursor in the top left corner.

If that's not what you needed, I have something else:
I ran into this problem when I was arranging Middle Boss Battle from Ocarina of Time. If you just hold a chord in one hand while the rest of it plays you may be able to match it. I hope that helped. . . maybe. . .

As I read through it again, I don't think I really addressed your problems, but this could still be useful I think.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Olimar12345

Quote from: insaneintherain on June 25, 2012, 01:22:53 PMWouldn't it be a 4 bar set ending to end off with a 16 bar phrase? That's what I thought too. Okay, so the first two phrases are randomized. Gotcha! Now to just work on the baseline and accidentals.
Whoops...yeah, you're right. The tune is really just 16 bars repeated.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

The Deku Trombonist

The whole thing is randomised (perhaps already decided when you enter the room?) The form is the same, but the bass line, high mallet line, bari sax line changes. Check out some gameplay videos. I've found two different gamerips, which don't match up, and a couple of gameplay vids, which also don't match up :P

insaneintherain

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on June 25, 2012, 04:24:07 PMThe whole thing is randomised (perhaps already decided when you enter the room?) The form is the same, but the bass line, high mallet line, bari sax line changes. Check out some gameplay videos. I've found two different gamerips, which don't match up, and a couple of gameplay vids, which also don't match up :P
We know about the randomization, and that's how the whole Pikmin 2 OST works. xP

The Deku Trombonist

But you said it had a four bar set ending

insaneintherain

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on June 25, 2012, 04:38:09 PMBut you said it had a four bar set ending
I think we meant the pattern randomized a lot of the track, but there are a few things that are set in stone. (Or Rock Pikmin, if you know what mean.)

Olimar12345

The form of the piece is the only thing that remains consistant.