News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Spyro

So will the dungeon be kinda like a Zelda dungeon? (using items and such to solve puzzles, doors locking into enemy rooms, boss rooms and stuff like that). If it's not like that, tell me more.

Zunawe

Not so much using items, because the battles will function more like Pokemon where you go into a different place to battle, so you won't exactly be using your items outside of battle. However, things like keys, special items, etc. . . could be used, doors could be locked behind you and stuff. The boss room will be some ornate throne or something like that where you can do nothing but step up to the boss and initiate the battle. Ummmm. . . Oh, the camera will follow the player directly, and not like in the Zelda for the NES where the screen moves to a new section when you touch the edge. That means that the dungeon should be a little more open and like a maze than a series of rooms you can't see into.

If you guys don't like this then say so, but I think it's gonna be the best way to do it.

EDIT: A Dragon Warrior engine would be really helpful. . .
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Spyro

Quote from: Zunawe on August 08, 2012, 08:08:49 PMNot so much using items, because the battles will function more like Pokemon where you go into a different place to battle, so you won't exactly be using your items outside of battle. However, things like keys, special items, etc. . . could be used, doors could be locked behind you and stuff. The boss room will be some ornate throne or something like that where you can do nothing but step up to the boss and initiate the battle. Ummmm. . . Oh, the camera will follow the player directly, and not like in the Zelda for the NES where the screen moves to a new section when you touch the edge. That means that the dungeon should be a little more open and like a maze than a series of rooms you can't see into.

If you guys don't like this then say so, but I think it's gonna be the best way to do it.

EDIT: A Dragon Warrior engine would be really helpful. . .

Oh, alright. Can you describe the "more like Pokemon" part though. Never played one of them.

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: Spyro on August 09, 2012, 06:08:16 AMOh, alright. Can you describe the "more like Pokemon" part though. Never played one of them.

Wow, I'm not alone.  I've never played a Pokemon game either.

Spyro

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 09, 2012, 07:10:35 AMWow, I'm not alone.  I've never played a Pokemon game either.
I've always been a Yu Gi Oh fan so....

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Spyro on August 09, 2012, 09:21:34 AMI've always been a Yu Gi Oh fan so....

I have 3 Blue-Eyes, I wonder if they are still rare as back then... And a shiny Gate Guardian... Do you know?

Spyro

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on August 09, 2012, 09:23:55 AMI have 3 Blue-Eyes, I wonder if they are still rare as back then... And a shiny Gate Guardian... Do you know?
I'm not sure. I've only had a Blue Eyes on a video game though.

Zunawe

Aaannyway. When you walk into tall grass there's a chance than an unseen pokemon will battle you. When that battle is initiated, you lose sight of the overworld and go to the battle screen where you can use pokemon moves and such. Then when the battle finishes you go back to the overworld. Basically it means you can't use Thunderbolt on a house. That's what I meant. You wouldn't be able to use a bow to shoot a target to open a door, because you can only use the bow in battle.

Also, the poll is tied. . . Not sure what to do about that. The three people who voted twice, choose a side.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

K-NiGhT

So as far as music goes, i have a good melody going for the main theme/ladivus's theme.

Still working on the story.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

FSM-Reapr

Words that need to be in the game:
frivolous
GOGOGO

And many others.

Spyro

Quote from: Zunawe on August 09, 2012, 11:27:59 AMAaannyway. When you walk into tall grass there's a chance than an unseen pokemon will battle you. When that battle is initiated, you lose sight of the overworld and go to the battle screen where you can use pokemon moves and such. Then when the battle finishes you go back to the overworld. Basically it means you can't use Thunderbolt on a house. That's what I meant. You wouldn't be able to use a bow to shoot a target to open a door, because you can only use the bow in battle.

Also, the poll is tied. . . Not sure what to do about that. The three people who voted twice, choose a side.
OK, I think I got it.

fabbemannen

I don't know how many that's added to the dropbox, but I posted there yesterday. I just thought I would get something started, and so I did.

This is just an example (as far as I know, we haven't decided on artstyle yet). This one is based on more high quality GBC-games, but if you guys want, we can make more advanced stuff.

For the programmers: I used this anim to mess around a little and the character can move in all 4 directions (only south-walk right now though). It doesn't align to the grid though

K-NiGhT

Looks good fabbenman, but i think the art style we decided on was that of Pokemon Emerald. For those of you that don't play Pokemon,

Here is a sample of its graphics as shown through a let's play.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

DryLuigi

Everyone seems to be getting tied up in in making it "like" another game. Just because the battle system is based on Dragon Quest, or the art in the style of Pokemon, or what have you, doesn't mean it has to adhere to those mechanics or art exactly. This is our own game, lets make it that way! If something makes the game fun, but isn't true to the source, then we can put it in anyway. ;) I see no reason to artificially limit ourselves with restrictions like that.

Sorry about the rant, just something I noticed going on quite a bit.
The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss -Douglas Adams

Zunawe

^True. However the game mechanics that I think might work best are closest to Dragon Warrior and Pokemon. That's why I've been comparing so much. Not everything is going to be exactly the same.

@K-NiGhT That might be a just a little ambitious. I don't want the pixel artists to feel overwhelmed or go too slow. It's up to them, again.

@fabbemannen Character looks fine, I feel like the animation is a little primitive, but that doesn't take a terrible amount of time to improve. Also we can just take that animation and modify things for other characters or to change the appearance of the main character if needed. Thank you for doing something. By the way, your grass is amazing. I mean, you should design grass for Nintendo. ;) (It looks fine. Grass is fun to make.)

I program things