News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

blueflower999

I like Dry Luigi's idea.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

fabbemannen

Quote from: DryLuigi on July 09, 2012, 08:09:05 PMTo get around the fact that technology was destroyed in the story, while still being able to have cool weapons in the game, we could have it so these new Magic/Technology hybrid weapons were created from the scraps of the old world that were destroyed. People have forgotten what the technology was originally designed for, but they could still find new uses for it. For example, there could be a shop in the world that could specialize in combining technology with the weapons you have. You could pay the shopkeeper to rig up a battery attached to your halberd so that it gains an electricity attribute and has a chance to paralyze.
^this

I like how they did in Xenoblade where each character could only use a certain type of weapon. Like Sharla could only use rifles and Melia could only use magical weapons (like staffs/rods)
We could do something similar with one partymember being able to use shortranged weapons like swords and such, one being able to use bows/guns, one could use a ball 'n' chain just for being epic etc.

And what dryluigi said about adding stuff to a weapon. Let's abuse the amount of stuff a partymember can carry and let them switch weapons DURING the actual battle.
So you get to choose between a couple of weapons (2-4, not that many). Outside of the battle, you get to choose what weapons you want in the battle-pouch (aka. those you can switch between during battle). So if you're smart, you add different weps that you have added different affinity's to, like electric/water/ramble-curse-words-when-swinging-your-weapon etc.

What do you want to do?
Attack - Items - Beg for mercy - *Switch* - Run

-Switch to what weapon?-
Thunder Sword - *Sword of Nature* - Clichename of Sword - Fourth Sword
(your turn is done?)

What do you want to do?
*Attack* - Items - Beg for mercy - Switch - Run

And btw, is it just me that is kinda tired of that you can't auto-recover health like in most standard-RPGs? I just don't like the whole idea of using potions.
Harder enemies are better

Zunawe

If you all like DryLuigi's idea, then why are you voting for something different? Option 3 would mean that there are guns, but they're weak/slow, or something like that. Upgraded weapons would be Option 2. Also, if you could please only vote once. I'm not sure how to change that.

Quote from: fabbemannen on July 10, 2012, 04:56:23 AMAnd btw, is it just me that is kinda tired of that you can't auto-recover health like in most standard-RPGs? I just don't like the whole idea of using potions.
Harder enemies are better
What would that mean? After each round heroes recover some health, or your health is replenished after a battle, or what? I don't believe I've played an RPG where you didn't need healing spells or potions.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

fabbemannen

Quote from: Zunawe on July 10, 2012, 09:49:53 AMIf you all like DryLuigi's idea, then why are you voting for something different? Option 3 would mean that there are guns, but they're weak/slow, or something like that. Upgraded weapons would be Option 2. Also, if you could please only vote once. I'm not sure how to change that.
"should coexist with medieval weapons"
I voted on the first sentence, 'cause the rest didn't make sense.
In the beginning of the game, most weapons should be medieval to then move on to more advanced weapons later on, while some epic ancient technology shows up once in awhile, aka. coexist with medieval weapons, aka. option 3.
Either only the futuristic weps could have the option to be upgraded (makes sense in a way), or all weapons could be upgraded. Both in the way dryluigi described
Quote from: Zunawe on July 10, 2012, 09:49:53 AMWhat would that mean? After each round heroes recover some health, or your health is replenished after a battle, or what? I don't believe I've played an RPG where you didn't need healing spells or potions.
Exactly. During the battle, I don't mind healing (that's a must), but I think it should auto-replenish outside of the battle. We could have some system where if you get badly injured/damaged in a battle, you can't replenish fully outside of the battle.

Battle 1 vs easy monster:
Monster hurt you a little bit
You kill the monster, no biggy
After you're done with that battle, your health replenish with maybe 100hp/second (just an example)

Battle 2 vs hard monster:
Monster hurt you badly until you're on the verge of death
You kill the monster
After you're done with that battle, your health can only auto-replenish up to 80%. If you want it to be 100% again, you need to heal in a town or use an item

I'm just giving ideas here, but I do think it should auto-replenish. I've seen plenty of RPG-players that are kinda obsessed with going back to town just to heal that last bit of health you lost 30 seconds after leaving town, and I hate that

Zunawe

I did notice in the Heroes of Ruin demo that there were plenty of healing potions to be found, each one gave you about half your health back, and there was a system where you would replenish health after a certain amount of time out of battle. I'll have to see how it works, but that could do what you're thinking.

Also, this:
is it just me that is kinda tired of that you can't auto-recover health like in most standard-RPGs
is what I read. I thought you meant you could auto-recover health in a lot of them. That's why I said what I did.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Kman96

So, Zunawe, I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread, but was something said about the members of NSM being NPC's in the game? Because I think that would be pretty cool. We (as NPC's) could like ask the player to complete tasks throughout the game.

Just an idea, I'm not sure if you had something like that in mind. Hahaha, we could have our in-game avatar be based off of our in-forum avatar!
Party Hard!
[close]

FSM-Reapr

Kman's right!

MAGIC SHOTGUNS!!! XDDDDDDDD

Zunawe

I think somebody made a joke about the game actually being about NSM, but that could work. I'm afraid that a few of the names would be to obviously real, though, so we would probably change that. It would be cool to see if people can figure out their counterpart in the game though.

Reapr ninja'd me again! Every time you say MAGIC SHOTGUNS.

I program things

Kman96

And another question- is there a game that you could compare the proposed graphics of this game to? Like, would it be 16 bit like link to the past and the first final fantasy? Or would it be more graphical, going into perhaps even 32 like ruby/sapphire and minish cap?

Any previews of anything?
Party Hard!
[close]

FSM-Reapr

MAGIC BULLETS IN MAGIC SHOTGUNS!!! XDDDDDD

Zunawe

Quote from: Kman96 on July 10, 2012, 01:30:14 PMAnd another question- is there a game that you could compare the proposed graphics of this game to? Like, would it be 16 bit like link to the past and the first final fantasy? Or would it be more graphical, going into perhaps even 32 like ruby/sapphire and minish cap?

Any previews of anything?

Colors would be whatever we choose. I wouldn't think you could call it 8-bit or 16-bit. If you're meaning resolution (which I think you are), then I was personally imagining blocks of 32 or 64. That would mean 32x32 pixels for one space for, say, tall grass, as in Pokemon. (Link's resolution in the original LoZ was 16x16). Really, though, that's up to the artists.

I program things

K-NiGhT

I like the idea of 32 bit, if that doesn't pose a daunting task for our designers...
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

When referring to video games, 8-bit or 16-bit or any other -bit refers to the system capabilities (how many colors can be used, what the music can sound like, how big the game can be in total, etc. . .). Therefore, don't use -bit when talking about game resolution.

8-bit-style would work because it would mean that the game would have graphics and sounds similar to games from the NES. When talking about the detail, you would use grids, or something like that. A 32 pixel grid means that everything would be built in units of 32 pixels.

Sorry about going off like that. It's just that I like being precise.

Also, 32x32 would be fine, I think, if we wanted to get into a little detail. 16x16 would be be simpler, but easier, and 64x64 would be really artistic and detailed.

I program things

FSM-Reapr

<--------------------------XD

blueflower999

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on July 10, 2012, 05:33:31 PM<--------------------------XD
Now you just need a picture of Kirby with a shotgun.
*Gets back on topic*
Bulbear! Blueflower999