News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Zunawe

So the poll is really close, but unless a bunch of people are dead set against it we'll allow simple guns and futuristic weapons. Nothing overpowered, just a few low-powered guns, maybe a cattle prod-like thing, etc. . .

(I posted something on the previous page as well)
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Spyro

Quote from: K-NiGhT on August 10, 2012, 10:11:50 AMLooks good fabbenman, but i think the art style we decided on was that of Pokemon Emerald. For those of you that don't play Pokemon,

Here is a sample of its graphics as shown through a let's play.
Oh, OK. Is there a dungeon example of that? Or whatever they are in Pokemon.

FSM-Reapr

Jub3r7

Quote from: Zunawe on August 10, 2012, 07:51:06 PMSo the poll is really close, but unless a bunch of people are dead set against it we'll allow simple guns and futuristic weapons. Nothing overpowered, just a few low-powered guns, maybe a cattle prod-like thing, etc. . .

(I posted something on the previous page as well)
Is there a chance we could have both?
For example, medieval weapons enhanced with futuristic equipment, and every once in a while you can find a piece of futuristic weaponry that actually works by itself?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Zunawe

^That was the point. We have swords, spears, bows, hammers, etc. . . These can be upgraded in a similar fashion to Skyrim's enchanting system, but technology will be used instead. Then, every once in a while, you might find a rusty laser sword that can be used for x turns before it disintegrates or something along those lines.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Kman96

Quote from: Zunawe on August 11, 2012, 07:01:38 PM^That was the point. We have swords, spears, bows, hammers, etc. . . These can be upgraded in a similar fashion to Skyrim's enchanting system, but technology will be used instead. Then, every once in a while, you might find a rusty laser sword that can be used for x turns before it disintegrates or something along those lines.
This^^^

That's kind of what I was hoping for. kind of like that new show Revolution that's coming on NBC.  It takes place in the future, where they probably have like laser guns and stuff, but because technology is dying, everyone has reverted back to good old crossbows and swords.  There's probably some guns somewhere. idk. might watch it.

Party Hard!
[close]

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Kman96 on August 11, 2012, 07:16:20 PMThis^^^

That's kind of what I was hoping for. kind of like that new show Revolution that's coming on NBC.  It takes place in the future, where they probably have like laser guns and stuff, but because technology is dying, everyone has reverted back to good old crossbows and swords.  There's probably some guns somewhere. idk. might watch it.

Omg i want to see that!
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

It was 80% of the commercials on the Olympics on NBC. They stole our idea. . .

It's barely in the future, all electricity dies, but guns still exist. However they're rare and ammo has stopped production, so swords/bows become protection.

I program things

Kman96

Quote from: Zunawe on August 11, 2012, 07:22:20 PMIt's barely in the future, all electricity dies, but guns still exist. However they're rare and ammo has stopped production, so swords/bows become protection.

Exactly, see?

I actually hadn't seen a trailer that long before googling that, but now
Quote from: K-NiGhT on August 11, 2012, 07:19:06 PMOmg i want to see that!

What I'm getting at is that we should shoot for something like that...except not as modern...right?
Party Hard!
[close]

fabbemannen

*Later on in the game*
*protagonist walks over to shiny thing*
protagonist -Hey, what's this? Looks like a weapon.
someone 1 -That...that's a (insert hightech-word)-weapon! So they still exist.
someone 2 -hmm, I heard that some villages further north of here weren't as damaged from the disaster as us down here. They might still have some technologies in their keepsake.

^just an example on how more advanced weps can co-exist while not appearing too early on in the game.

Anyhow, about the sprites. When it comes to drawing and such, I'm more of a "modifier" than creator (I sux when it comes to drawing people). So if one of the artists would create something similar to ze 3rd gen. poke, then it would be easier to move on from that.
The example that I posted and the game-engine right now is 32x32, but if you guys need more detail, it can easily be changed to 64x64.

This can be discussed, but the best way would probably be to use tiles for objects/trees and such (tbh, I don't know about any other good ways. No need for extra images when you want a house to be twice as big for example). For an example on how I mean, http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/pokefrlg/pkmnfrlg_tileset2.png
Since Gamemaker supports multiple layers without a problem, don't add any ground to your objects (like grass/dirt etc. just leave the background as transparent).

One thing that I think needs some mentioning, is the window-size. Right now it's set to 640x480, but seeing as even handhelds nowadays use 16:9, maybe we should have the size somewhere on that scale (in case the game gets good and we want to get it on iOS/Android/3DS etc.).

Zunawe

So, yes. For landscape artists, design a room 7 tiles long and 7 tiles wide, and make it nothing more than a path going in a square around an island. I'll put up an example in a second. The problem with invisible backgrounds is that you have more complicated options, or sacrifice. You can set a background to a color, and that works great if the ground is the same color no matter where you are in that location. However, if you want the ground to change color, such as the western edge of the map in Classic LoZ, you have to lay down a new object for that space. I figure it's easier to have empty spaces filled with the corresponding ground color. However, that can be decided by the artists.

I'm not sure that putting this on the internet for free is going to help sales on other systems, so I'm not counting on selling it. If you want a 16:9 ratio, then make sure that the dimensions are divisible by 64. Maybe 32.

EDIT: Example Room

Now, this isn't the best example, because it's extremely reliant on square grounds and the main wall block. If you want to go more detailed, then keep a single, overly-used wall block, and add edges and such to the floor that merge perfectly with the wall. Just a suggestion.

I program things

Spyro

So, my laptop is back. I'll start working on a dungeon "prototype" I guess.  :D

Zunawe

Sure. Remember that roaming enemies are going to be the main obstacle. Don't make tiny hallways for the entire dungeon.

I program things

K-NiGhT

Hey i'm getting a laptop and putting finale on it so I can get started on the music. I can do the main theme/character themes/town themes, whatever. I'll wait until pumpy or maestro decide what they want to do. I'd probably be better suited for quieter things.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

You might want to PM them; I don't know how much they're actually reading this.

I program things