News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

NasiDe

If you're working on concept art, I don't think the art style itself matters too much. Look at Amano's concept arts for the various characters of Final Fantasy. His art is very stylized in what looks like a watercolor feel. If you're working on concept arts right now, I suggest don't bother worrying about what artistic style they are brought forth in. You are thinking about the concepts behind the characters after all; not deciding on what their final design is like in the game.

SuperFireKirby

I think the choice should really be whatever the concept artist(s) is best with, not what the community thinks looks the best.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

fabbemannen

Concept art doesn't matter what style is in.
Official art for Wain in Lufia 3:

Icon of Wain ingame

Anyhow, when it comes to free-drawing, I seriously fails. I don't have any tablet-thingy to draw on and I wouldn't be able to draw even if I had it.
I should be able to fix sprites and such (assuming we use that type of game) which is why I signed up as artist

Cobraroll

I, for one, think it would be refreshing to see an RPG without spiky hair and eyes the size of tennis balls.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

fabbemannen

Agreed. How about a basic brown-haired guy?

Spyro

Instead of suggesting and not getting anywhere, we should put a poll up on some of the best options and have everyone vote on them.

Zunawe

I know. What I was going to do was see if there was anything that we felt was required for him to have and then have the concept artists go off that. Then we would put up their drawings and vote on the best one. Unfortunately, it seems some of us were thinking of designing the whole character.

If you can draw decently well, draw the main character as you see him; I'll put them up in a poll, and we'll vote.

In the mean time, I think we should think about naming the characters. I would think that we'll let the player put in their own name, but Link is still Link in LoZ. PM me a name, and I'll put them up in the poll, adding as I get more. You'll be able to change your vote, and you'll get two votes, and two submissions.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

K-NiGhT

Isn't there a way you can make your own name? Like DQIX or Pokemon?
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

Yeah. That's what I was saying. We give the player the chance to create their own name, but we have a name for the character. The example I gave was the Legend of Zelda. You could name the main character Tatl, but when he's ever referred to in the third person by anybody else, he's Link.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

K-NiGhT

That just seems really confusing.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

MaestroUGC

It does, it's one thing to do that with an established, recognizable character; but since this is going to be enitrely new and unkown, we can't afford any sort of name confusion.

If you can't figure out the main character's name between every dialogue you encounter, you're not going to want to care about what happens, which means you won't have a desire to keep playing.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Zunawe

I still don't think you understand what I'm saying.

At the beginning of the game, the player is prompted to enter a name. That name is then stored in a variable and is used for the entire game in anything that requires the player to be addressed. When a person is talking about the game and in the real world, they would use the name that we decide on. That way the people in real life wouldn't have to say "the main character." It would also help in the instructions if we decide to use third person and not second person.

If you did understand it that way, then why is it confusing?

I program things

Jub3r7

Viris, in latin means "of the person", or "of the man."
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

MaestroUGC

I meant it would be confusing in game, but since you said the name will fill in any blanks, I guess it could work.

My issue is that people won't be able to recognize the character if this is something will will be picked up later, like if we do a sequel or something. Establishment is what I'm getting at, like Link, sure yoou can give him a different nam in some games; but he's still Link, people identify him as Link. Our main character needs a concrete name.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.