News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The fourth dimension

Started by chipmunk884, April 24, 2008, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipmunk884

Have any of you thought that there is a fourth dimension or tried to imagine what a 4d object looks like?  anyway, i've been doing research on the fourth dimension, and i think that it is awesome and mind boogling, but doesn't exist.  However, my uncle has a theory that the universe is actually in a torus (donut) shaped object that is rotating around in the fourth dimension.  Basically, he is saying that if you go far enough out into space, you will end up back at earth.  Here are some awesome links i found on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension

http://eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d/vis/vis.html

Please post any thoughts that you have on this subject, because i'm very curious what you think about it.  Enjoy!

razer84

first, my views on the universe. like your uncle, i believe that the universe that we live in is donut-shaped and that it is floating in the fourth dimension. however, there are also other universes floating in the fourth dimension and really we live in a multiverse.

i'll type the rest tomorrow because it's late and i'm tired.

damn commies.

KefkaticFanatic

...my brain hurts.

More than 3-dimensional stuff creeps me out.

Awesome though, nonetheless.
My teacher is going to teach us about 1-10D

me irl
[close]

Gu4n

I've researched it in the past, too, but my brains just aren't capable of understanding it. =')

Jamaha

Isn't time considered the 4th dimension?

ZeldaFan

that's what i thought it was...

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

razer84

Quote from: G-Han on April 25, 2008, 06:59:31 AMI've researched it in the past, too, but my brains just aren't capable of understanding it. =')

G-Han has multiple brains! the zombies would love him.

or do you mean "brain's"?

damn commies.

chipmunk884

Even though the 4th dimension is considered to be time in physics, i'm talking about a 4th spacial dimension.  I also read about the superstring theory, which is only plausable if there are 10 dimensions, with 6 of them wrapped up in the sub-atomic level.  People also have theory's that state that other dimensions besides our 3 could be used for time travel.  I've also read that all invisible forces like gravity and particles originate in the 4th dimension.  Finally, in reply to what razer said, even though i don't believe in that "donut" theory, if it was true, then theoretically, our "donut universe" could be the necklace or painting for a 4th dimensional creature/human.  Just some things to think about.  And if you read through all of the articles from the second link on my first post, you will get a much better understanding of the 4th dimension.  It really helped me to comprehend the 4th dimension much better, and now I can actually think about what the 4th dimension would be like without straining my brain so much!

razer84

yes. apparently gravity is a very weak force in our universe compared to other forces, so it was theorized that gravity originates in the 4th dimension (where it is very strong) and leaks over into our universe which is floating in the 4th dimension. as a result only portions of gravity are being absorbed by our universe (like when you put a sponge in a bucket of water, it soaks up all the water it can hold, but if you measure to see how much water is in the sponge  compared to how much water is still in the bucket, the water in the sponge is much, much less than the amount of water in the bucket) and thus gravity is much weaker in our universe than in the 4th dimension.

damn commies.

Sirus

my friend and i had a theory that if we can "fold" up part of the universe (the 4-d part) we can travel through as if the distace has been halved or even reduced 99%
but i forgot almost every single thing we talked about...

since our shadows are 2 dimensional, im assuming we are the shadows of a 4th dimensional world

the hypercube is an excellent example of a 4-d shape

razer84

Quote from: Sirus on April 26, 2008, 07:56:44 AMmy friend and i had a theory that if we can "fold" up part of the universe (the 4-d part) we can travel through as if the distace has been halved or even reduced 99%

what you're talking about is called a wormhole. wormholes do exactly that. (in theory, of course.)

damn commies.

Sirus

i thought wormholes were something differnt....  :-[
well it looks like i have to reresearch this topic!
dang it i should have done this for my project!

razer84

Quote from: Sirus on April 26, 2008, 11:11:21 AMi thought wormholes were something differnt....  :-[
well it looks like i have to reresearch this topic!
dang it i should have done this for my project!

lol. anyway, i'm just kind of a nerd and i watch shows about all this stuff on the science channel, so it's not like you're stupid or anything. and yeah, this would've made a good project.

damn commies.

Sirus

im a nerd too
lol
Science channel rocks
Discovery is better though  :D

Dekudude

Well.. I see no reason a 4th (or more) special dimension can't exist.

Imagine living in a two-dimensional universe. X and Y. No Z. Now, you're walking along your two-dimensional sidewalk, and suddenly someone from the three-dimensional world tears a whole in the piece of paper-like universe you're living in. You fall through the hole, and immediately the fabric of space rearranges you, stretching and squishing, making you another ordinary 3-dimensional shape. (yes, you probably died the transformation from 2D to 3D. :()

NOW. Imagine YOU are walking down the street, and someone from the 4th dimension tears a hole in the puny little cube you're living in. You fall through the hole... and die. However, in the 4D world, you are officially a 4-dimensional shape.

Now, the way I see it, is to get to the second dimension, you have to go THROUGH space.... between matter. Now, we can't necessarily do that, as we'd be creating a singularity. To get to the 4th dimension, you'd have to do the opposite: Not go between space, but go... through space. Instead of squishing between infinitely small particles of nothing, you'd have infinitely large particles squish through you, shoving you out, and reassembling you. Now, that's just my theory, and yes, you'd die... but hey, that's life. :P

So no, it would be impossible to hold a truly 4-dimensional cube in your hand, as the moment it enters our dimension, it would immediately be rerendered as a 3D cube. Does that make sense?

Plus, we don't have the means to get to our lower dimensions, so the greater ones shouldn't have means to get to us. However, the idea of gravity (I've heard it was in the 5th dimension, though...) and time (4th dimension) being so powerful, they leak into (between infinity: remember!) our dimension... that's quite a possibility. It would make sense, too: Gravity affects time AND us, time affects us. Does time affect how heavy something is? Nope.

Adding to that, light is in our dimension, and is probably the most powerful force that belongs in it. (Lightspeed!) Thus Einstein's belief it is impossible to go faster than light.... if we were to go faster, we'd probably tear a little hole in our universe. :'(

And that's my story. ^_^

EDIT - Actually, instead of light being the more powerful forces in our universe, Electromagnetism, the Strong, and the Weak Nuclear Forces, would be the 3rd Dimension's, "biggies".

1st Dimension - ???
2nd Dimension - ???
3rd Dimension - Electromagnetism, Strong Nuclear Forces, Weak Nuclear Forces
4th Dimension - Time
5th Dimension - Gravity