News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

The fourth dimension

Started by chipmunk884, April 24, 2008, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

razer84

if we were to go faster than light speed, we would enter the next higher dimension (and yeah i knew the whole gravity is 5 and light is 4 thing, i just forgot :P) because we would have used more energy than is available in ours. then if we break the speed of gravity, we would go to Dimension 5, and so on.

to get to a lower dimension we would have to give up energy somehow, and because energy cannot be created or destroyed, this seems impossible. the simple way around this is that if we go to a lower dimension (this also works for going to a higher one, just conversely) we have to switch spaces with energy from the lower dimension. if we go through some space/time portal to Dimension 2, then we would leave some of our excess energy (because as stated in the first paragraph, there is more available energy the higher you go up in the dimensions) and the energy we would be adding is sent from D2 to D3 (like water displacement, jump in a bathtub thats full to the brim with water and some will leak over the sides). this would mean that if we went to D2 then some of D2's energy would have to be converted into one of D3's main energies (like what Dekudude said).

so, if we were to throw an apple into one of these portals (an artificial one, or possibly a wormhole or black hole) we might see a flash of lightning (electromagnetism) or a small nuclear blast (strong/weak nuclear forces) come back out of our end as the energy was displaced from D2 back into D3. in D2, a smaller apple (because if the loss of energy) or a rotten apple (again, loss of energy) might appear. or possibly they would just see a flash of whatever energy is the dominant form in D2. if we went up to D4, then more gravity would enter this dimension, but there would be no need for the apple to lose energy because there is more available energy  in D4; in fact the apple might expand.

so yes, there is really no reason why more dimensions could exist, and no reason why we can't travel to them (we might die, but we would still arrive there. our corpses at least...).

damn commies.

Dekudude

Would it be possible that a black hole's singularity would have enough gravity to tear a hole in space, opening up another dimension? We couldn't get there, but just a thought..

razer84

Quote from: Dekudude on April 27, 2008, 08:17:51 AMWould it be possible that a black hole's singularity would have enough gravity to tear a hole in space, opening up another dimension? We couldn't get there, but just a thought..

possibly, singularities might have enough energy to be portals to various other dimensions.

damn commies.

Mike

Actually there are theories of 10 dimensions. With the continuity of things we could have an infinite number of dimensions, but our mind isn't advanced enough to possibly imagine anything past the 10th dimension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

HugoMeister

Quote from: Dekudude on April 27, 2008, 08:17:51 AMWould it be possible that a black hole's singularity would have enough gravity to tear a hole in space, opening up another dimension? We couldn't get there, but just a thought..

Wait....how do you tear a hole in nothing? :P

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Dekudude

Nothing? It'd be tearing a whole in the fabric of space and time. :P

Brawler4Ever

Quote from: Mike on April 27, 2008, 11:14:17 AMActually there are theories of 10 dimensions. With the continuity of things we could have an infinite number of dimensions, but our mind isn't advanced enough to possibly imagine anything past the 10th dimension.

I don't know about you, but I can barely get past the third...
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

razer84

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on April 27, 2008, 09:32:23 PM
Quote from: Mike on April 27, 2008, 11:14:17 AMActually there are theories of 10 dimensions. With the continuity of things we could have an infinite number of dimensions, but our mind isn't advanced enough to possibly imagine anything past the 10th dimension.

I don't know about you, but I can barely get past the third...

actually, that made complete sense to me.

damn commies.

chipmunk884

And also, if you went at the speed of light for at least a few decades in space, when/if you got back to earth, you would be younger than everyone who was originally your same age because as you reach the speed of light, time slows down.  This, along with razors ides, makes the idea of the 4th dimension being time perfect sense, because you would start to enter the "time dimension", so time wouldn't act the same.

Sirus

you know
we should gather all our ideas as a report or presentation and send it to some science institution or labs or even NASA!

razer84

damn commies.

Brawler4Ever

Quote from: razer84 on April 30, 2008, 03:40:11 AMthey would laugh at us.

And then call us terrorists.
(or in Razer's case, Communists)
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

razer84

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on April 30, 2008, 05:57:34 AM
Quote from: razer84 on April 30, 2008, 03:40:11 AMthey would laugh at us.

And then call us terrorists.
(or in Razer's case, Communists)

i'm not commie dammit!

damn commies.

chipmunk884

In my geometry class, we think that the 4th dimension is a sponge cylinder... lol  (true story).  Anyway, i don't think anybody in any high position would even bother with our ideas.  Plus, when do you honestly think that we would be able to travel at the speed of light to see if there really is a 4th dimension

razer84

i said it was possible, not plausible.

damn commies.