News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

The NSM Community Orchestra Project!

Started by MaestroUGC, May 04, 2012, 01:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How exciting is this?

Exciting
19 (61.3%)
Very Exciting
19 (61.3%)
Sign me up!
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FSM-Reapr

I reeeally want to see the results!

Jub3r7

I'd like to change my vote from "Exciting" to "Very Exciting".
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

MaestroUGC

Bad news:

This has been a hectic few weeks here for me, long story short I have no time to work on this.

Short story long: I've had a few things brewing for me since the beginning of summer, and now they are taking off. Firstly, my trio is now starting rehearsals and I'm putting together VG Music for us, amongst some classical standards and some orginal comps.

Another thing is a game my friends and I are making during the summer. Things have picked up now that both programmers have been working on this undistracted. I've been tasked with writing the music for this game, and since it's an RPG it's proven to be quite tasking. As such nearly all of my musical efforts have gone into that project. Since the goal is to be done with it all before school starts in August, I have quite a task laid out before me.

Add in work, other obligations that I need to see to, I'm booked. I haven't made much of a dent in putting this all togther, although arguably the hard part is the beginning and ending, when everyone is playing together. That said, since this is a Community Project I thought I'd leave to all of you to finish putting this all together. The file has all the instruments, properly sequenced, but I did not get further than the Opening theme from Red (part 1).

MUS

Now I had a few things that I wanted to do with it, so whoever decides to pick this up I can give you my notes with my intentions and the directions I planned on taking. It'll be nice to see some else's style mixed in with my own.

THAT SAID, I think we need to start planning out for next summer. This was very spur of the moment, and as such I'd love to something like this through to the end at least once. Sometime next week I'll put up another poll so I can guage what people want to do next year. If popular opinion doesn't change much by New Year's I'll get a list of people who want to play and start putting it together then, giving me months to work on it before summer even begins.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Zunawe

If we really wanted to we could continue this from now until the start of next summer to really polish it and then hit practices hard next year. That way we'll have time to prepare and fix things in the score if need be. Summer is going to be ending in the next few weeks here for a few people. I have band camp next week and the week after, and then school starts mid August. The only problem I might see is a drop in interest, but I'm sure it'll pick back up when it gets going again. Just a suggestion.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

MaestroUGC

If that's the case then I could keep working on it throughout the year. Best case scenario is I can get it out to you all around thanksgiving, and you record and whatnot during the holidays.

SuperFireKirby

While I'm a bit disappointed that it's going to be another year, I see some pluses to this. For one, by next summer, I'll have full access to a professional recording studio and all of its tools. So I'd be able to tweak a clean up the final video's audio, as well as record my own parts with super sexy microphones.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FSM-Reapr

Super sexy microphones are SUPER SEXY, seriously. I have a pic of myself with that.

fabbemannen

The only problem I see is that I doubt that everyone will still be here for it. If someone leaves, I guess we could re-open the applications for those particular instruments

TheZeldaPianist275

Mixed feelings about this.  While I am anxious to take something this big on, it does seem only right that we give it the time it deserves- and this deserves quality work.  So I'm with Zunawe in saying we work on it throughout the school year.  And Maestro, we're all willing to help out.  If you're swamped at any point, PM one of us and we'll help out.  Still pumped for this.  :D

MaestroUGC

UPDATE!

It's coming along, slowly but surely. It's not my primary focus at this point in time, but I am working on it every now and then. I plan on having it finished in time for the holidays (read: between Thanksgiving and Christmas) and people can start working on it with the intention of recording in the summer.

I realize that some people may drop out in the meantime, but I can't afford to alter the score, meaning the parts written will be final. As such I have to be pragmatic and write each part individually as opposed to writing them in groups. When it's finished I'll just let people decide which piano part they want to try, with the parts getting easier going down the score. That means I'd like to reserve the top 5/6 piano parts for the most experienced players as they will be the most demanding.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Nebbles

Next summer I'll be in as well, and I'll have 2 years worth of piano under my belt by then too.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Nebbles on September 16, 2012, 04:19:21 PMNext summer I'll be in as well, and I'll have 15 years worth of piano under my belt by then too.
Mewtwo.