News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Noob Wondering what Can and Can't be Done Dealing with Copyrights

Started by Bounce361, April 12, 2012, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bounce361

Hello Everyone,

I was under the impression that music (from the moment of its creation) was under copyright until it is passed into public domain.  I'm wondering how much copyright information is required to potentially arrange music and have it posted on the site.  If I every have anything arranged, I simply do not want to be liable in a court of law.  What can and can't we do?

Ruto

Technically, arranging music, selling sheet music you didn't write* and giving out free copies of another person's work is illegal. I'm sure you can google all the laws somewhere. But those laws aren't usually enforced.

NSM states on the bottom of every sheet that the music is copyrighted by the game's respective companies and the composer is always listed.  It won't protect the arrangers much if Nintendo decides to sue, though.

*anyone remember that ebay guy?

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

TheZeldaPianist275

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Basically, as long as we change it slightly (changing it from audio to sheet music) and give credit to Nintendo, we're fine.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bounce361 on April 12, 2012, 01:30:48 PMI was under the impression that music (from the moment of its creation) was under copyright until it is passed into public domain. 
The moment you put something into a tangeble form, you are the copyright owner. However, until you get the copyright registered and put into the library of congress, you can't collect royalties for it. A copyright usually lasts until the author's death + 50-70 years. After that anyone may use it for free.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sir Dino

Speaking of copyrights, is it OK to use the MID files on the site for outside websites, as long as we give credit to NinSheetMusic? Please answer. :)

Olimar12345

Credit to the copyright owners is mandatory. Credit to us is I believe is technically optional, but considered common courtesy.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Winter

No, when you post a sheet, you're giving it to NSM, and we (you and NSM) are giving credit to Nintendo or the owner of the copyrights of the game, and the Composer.

Sir Dino

I'm just going to make sure I give 100% credit to NSM, and of course Nintendo and composers; I was just making sure if I had to ask every individual, or just credit NSM and Nintendo/Nin. composers in general.

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26