News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Musicals?

Started by SlowPokemon, April 07, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Does anybody like any musicals? I am not a fan of many of musicals, but there are a few:

My favorite is "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"--it has a brilliant story about a vengeful barber and his accomplice who bakes his victims into her pies, as well as a TON of musical numbers, and all of them are brilliantly written. One of the highlights for me is "A Little Priest," a sweeping off-kilter waltz with ridiculously punny lyrics. ("...and we have some shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd on top") The movie adaptation is pretty great as well.

I also like Phantom of the Opera despite its meh storyline, it has a few good songs. And of course there are movie musicals like Nightmare Before Christmas that are also wonderful.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

I can't say I'm a big fan of musicals either, a lot of them seem a bit too sweet for my taste. There are some that I like, though, like Chicago and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Oh and almost everything by Sondheim, especially Into the Woods.

I can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber. There, I said it!
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

DrP

The Producers... that is all.

To me, I find musicals to be extremely (you can fill in the blank)... but satires of them are quite good. Plus Mel Brooks is too priceless not to watch

SlowPokemon

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 07, 2012, 09:43:21 AMI can't say I'm a big fan of musicals either, a lot of them seem a bit too sweet for my taste. There are some that I like, though, like Chicago and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Oh and almost everything by Sondheim, especially Into the Woods.

I can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber. There, I said it!

Haha Sondheim is great. I have not heard into the woods yet! Only ST. But yeah I'm not a huge fan of Webber either. I like maybe two or three songs from phantom but I didn't care for evita that much. His music is too simple and repetitive and "showtuney" as compared to Sondheim who uses a bit more complex style.

SuperFireKirby

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. nuff said

Also, Hair Spray, because it has John Travolta playing a fat woman and Christopher Walken as a toy shop owner.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Willy Wonka's kinda meh for me. The music itself isn't great. Gene Wilder singing might be enough to make up for it though.

Ahahaha I remember seeing Hairspray! XD

SuperFireKirby

Oh, almost forgot about Mulan. Pretty great movie

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 07, 2012, 01:21:16 PMWilly Wonka's kinda meh for me. The music itself isn't great. Gene Wilder singing might be enough to make up for it though.
How can say the music isn't great? I mean:
MUSICAL BRILLIANCE

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

blueflower999

More like rhyming brilliance.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on April 07, 2012, 01:23:51 PMOh, almost forgot about Mulan. Pretty great movie
How can say the music isn't great? I mean:
MUSICAL BRILLIANCE

Lol not really...

MaestroUGC

That was improvised, so you can't factor that into the actual written numbers.

How could I forget Little Shop of Horrors?

Jub3r7

Into the Woods, Moulin Rouge, but I haven't watched Chicago yet. D:
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

MaestroUGC

I don't like jukebox musicals, but I will say the best thing to come out of Moulin Rouge! was the "El Tango de Roxanne".

The Deku Trombonist

Jub3r7

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 08, 2012, 08:26:19 PM"El Tango de Roxanne".
That was pretty amazing.
Also, I just watched "American in Paris", a musical film from 1951. It was alright, but I didn't like the way they presented the ending.

For a spring concert in Chorus, I'll be singing a small portion of "It's a Grand Night for Singing" from another old musical called State Fair. I think my dad is going to order it on Netflix, so yay.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

ChrisLeeFan1118

One of my favorites has to be Fiddler on the Roof.

I also like Singing in the Rain, Sound of Music, and the Newsies.
I used to be very conceited, that has all changed; now I'm Perfect!