News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

K-NiGhT's Arrangements (2015 Reboot) [UPDATED TO-DO LIST! NEW ARRANGEMENTS!]

Started by K-NiGhT, December 17, 2011, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I arrange next?

More Dragon Quest IX!
Something else! (Leave a comment.)

K-NiGhT

I found my copy of it the other day and i can't stop playing it just because of the great music :D

EDIT: was also suprised that there weren't any arrangements on site...so i thought i would do it...if i can make PDFs
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Shadoninja

Quote from: xK-NiGhTx on January 04, 2012, 07:46:35 PMI found my copy of it the other day and i can't stop playing it just because of the great music :D

EDIT: was also suprised that there weren't any arrangements on site...so i thought i would do it...if i can make PDFs
I'm working on an arrangement of the castle theme and plan on doing a few others.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Winter

Don't worry about the PDF's if you can't make them. I'll do it.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Winter on January 05, 2012, 06:07:40 PMDon't worry about the PDF's if you can't make them. I'll do it.
That would be fantastic :o I would very much appreciate that.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: xK-NiGhTx on January 04, 2012, 07:16:34 PMI'm not going to be doing arrangements until the summer. School is taking up too much of my time to allow it. I'll be back on the arranging scene around mid-May. 'Til then!
So i sorta lied. I'll be doing them on the weekend (with whatever free time i have...) false alarm ppl! Back down to 1 announcement now! Lol

Bespinben

Aww shoot, I was hoping to steal PMD Rescue Team Base from you if you weren't going to arrange until summer :P
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

K-NiGhT

finished Cross the Fields, Cross the Mountains (Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies)

pumpy_heart

Nice arrangement of the Dragon Quest piece. Sounds accurate.
There's a few enharmonic spellings you need to correct. In measure 30, you should use G#, as you should also in measure 31 and 32 (instead of Ab). This makes more sense than the A-Ab chord you have spelled in measure 31, as well as the note resolves up to an A, so G#-A makes more sense than Ab-A.
In measure 38, use A#. This spells a complete major triad, F#-A#-C#, as opposed to F#-Bb-C#, which is not a triad.
It's odd that you use A# and Bb in the same measure in measure 47. Keep using the Bb in the melody. The C# is great.
The only other odd thing about the piece is that you used the 2nd layer feature throughout the 2nd half of the piece. It will print out black, just looks funny on the screen.
Excellent job. Keep up the good work!

K-NiGhT

Thank you for the critique. I will fix those things. Also i wasn't sure what was going on with the red notes lol thx for telling me now :D

K-NiGhT

Finished Overture IX (Dragon Quest IX) Also added MIDI files of all my work thus far.

K-NiGhT

Wow. I'm on a roll today! Also finished Heaven's Prayer (Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies)

K-NiGhT

Simplicity at it's finest. I give you...Healed By a Hymn (Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies)

K-NiGhT

pumpy_heart

I looked over them. Sorry, been busy the past few days.

Overture - Impressive work. Nice job. In measure 2 and where it occurs elsewhere, I would use D# instead of Eb. The note functions as a neighbor to E, going E-D#-E. This spelling shows the correct goals. You did this in measure 5, same thing here. Use Db instead of C# in measure 4, as the root of the chord there is Db (Db-F-Ab). You offset the true beat 1 when the main theme comes in by a count. You have the pickup notes as beat one. I would change the 2/4 to 3/4 and use the pickups there, keeping the rest in 4/4 time. That Eb in measure 13-14 as well. The rest looks fine. You may have to adjust the ending after changing the time signature, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Heaven's Prayer - I would use the 8va where the melody jumps up an octave. Generally, anything over 3 ledger lines is seen as unclean. I guess you could use the 8va in the bass where you do, but you hadn't so far so it seems unexpected. The ending is nice. I noticed one note doubling/hand collision thing in measure 38, beat 4. One of the notes should be in parentheses, the note least necessary in the passage (the arpeggio). These are allowed, but should be probably notated. The reach for the bass notes in 57 and 59 are a bit far, so you probably need to roll the chord or indicate that the right hand should play the top note ((R.H.) next to the note).

Healed by a Hymn - Perfect. Except I don't recognize the ending. Could just be me. If you composed that bit, I would suggest ending on a G major triad.

Intermezzo - The same thing with doublings here, such as measure 2. I'd probably just delete the first 2nd layer note. Or you could make the whole thing 1 layer whenever this occurs. Never use 2 dotted notes next to each other in simple time signature. It's okay with complex meter, like 12/8, which you use them later. So change that to dotted quarter, eighth tied to a quarter, then a quarter. Use that notation whenever you find this rhythm (which happens a lot). Spell the F#, Gb in measure 15, as well as the C#, Db. The Gb acts as a passing tone, as the Db a neighbor. This spelling shows the goal of the notes (G-Gb-F, Db-C). Since the line descends, so should your spelling. The G# shows the ascending line and the flats will show the descending line.

All of these need the title fixed, as it is too large according to the sheet guidelines.
Let me know if I missed something. Hope this helps.

Winter