News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

NSM on iDevices!

Started by Meta-Ridley, October 19, 2011, 02:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meta-Ridley

Not like this is ever going to happen, ever... but anyways.

It would be cool to have an app for NinSheetMusic. I think. But hear me out. Millions of people go on the Apple app store every day, and some people would have to find the NSM app. And here's what it'd do:

* Instantly have access to two thousand sheets of Nintendo/other sheet music PDFs (and possibly other files) all in the palm of your hand.
* Use airprint to print any of these PDFs straight from your iDevices.
* Give access to the forums- redesigned for the iDevice - with a simple system that notifies you when you've been PMd or someone has replied to your posts.   

And we could possibly ask for a small price for it, or have it for free, or have both - with the priced one having the full amount of sheets and forum access.
And if that happened 5-10% of the royalties, and the rest goes into NSM - a bit of buck for the arrangers, editors, moniters, and the Administrator of course.

But this will never happen.

P.S. I only used Apple as an example because it is the most used in the smartphone/tablet market.

Winter

I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks about these things, I always thought having us release a real sheet music book to be sold at stores would be cool.

Idk. We'd have to have someone code the app anyway.

Don't say it will never happen, cause then it wouldn't. We'd really just need capital. A donations box, per-se. Then we could invest it in things like that.

'course I'm just tired and dreaming. Ignore me.

Winter

Meta-Ridley

Your right, I shouldn't say never. But it just seems sometimes that nothing goes forwards here besides updates....

master_gamer38

Since this is all copyrighted music, it's illegal to sell it.U
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Jamaha

No. Would require too much effort.

As for making money with this...eh. Despite the arranging work that people do, the original songs still belong to Nintendo and such and it isn't right to make money off it. Don't know what the actual copyright law states about it (or which country's) but I'm pretty sure I'd be in trouble if Nintendo decided to do something about it.

DrP

Quote from: Meta-Ridley on October 19, 2011, 02:54:57 AM* Instantly have access to two thousand sheets of Nintendo/other sheet music PDFs (and possibly other files) all in the palm of your hand.
* Use airprint to print any of these PDFs straight from your iDevices.
* Give access to the forums- redesigned for the iDevice - with a simple system that notifies you when you've been PMd or someone has replied to your posts.   

P.S. I only used Apple as an example because it is the most used in the smartphone/tablet market.
There's an app called Tapatalk which is basically a mobile version of forums that is available on the Appstore, Android Market and Windows Marketplace. It's pretty handy and awesome

For the PDFs, you can open them on the site in Safari and then you can save the PDF to iBooks (where then you can use AirPrint)

I think all we need in this case is a mobile rendering of the site that's easy to find things, but it would be too much work.

I really don't think NSM would collect money. We offer copyrighted work, so we can't take even a cent for that or it's breaking the rights of the composers and all that stuff. We're not in this for the money, so that's why things happen here as they do.

Flamewire

What about a mobile version? It doesn't have to be an app, but more like a layout for mobile devices. Listen:

Have the site check your user agent string. If it's a string that belongs to a mobile device, then give an option whether you want to use the mobile layout or not. If keeping a list of useragent strings for mobile devices is too much work, just have the mobile version be on a separate URL (mobile.ninsheetm.us or something simple like that) that anyone can get on. It'd be kinda stupid to go there from your computer, though.

The mobile layout would obviously be much smaller in resolution, and it could have a drop down menu for game series in the corner or on the top or something. The news could stay on the front page, or it could be eliminated from the mobile site altogether if it looks ugly.

On the series page, we could have a series of menus for each individual game. Clicking the menu would expand it and show the sheets for that page, and the arrangers. Clicking the sheet would take you to the PDF version.

What do you think?

DrP

If only JaMaHa had the time

Jamaha

Yes, it would have potential.

However, the priority would be after finishing the new main site. Unfortunately I'm getting my ass kicked by university atm, so the progress is rather slow.

JDMEK5

Wait, there's going to be a new main site!?? :o
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Meta-Ridley

WOW REALLY???? ubercool.

is it close to being finished?? can you show us a picture of what it looks like?

Winter

JaMaHa mentioned that on the main page actually. So it was no secret.

KefkaticFanatic

I don't see a point to mobile access to the sheet music archive unless you're somehow somewhere with a printer but no computer.

me irl
[close]

Winter

Who'd want to read sheet music off of a screen that small anyways.