News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The "Fixing the Sheets" Project

Started by Shadoninja, October 02, 2011, 09:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

I'm almost positive that the red notes in measures 5 & 9 should match the red notes in 6 &10.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

Quote from: pumpy_heart on June 26, 2012, 07:24:41 AMLeave the ending as true to the original as possible. Kazumi Totaka could've added any number of jazzy chords anywhere in Link's Awakening, but you'd be hard pressed to find them.
Measure 16, I would spell it F#-A-C-Eb. F# stays a common tone with the next chord, creating a common tone diminished 7th, not a truly functional one. This also makes sense as to the resolution of the other voices, all resolve down by step.
Another diminished 7th occurs in measure 18. Now this is a true diminished 7th (sneaky what he did there, eh? Preparing a real d7 to sound not so unique by having the common tone one a couple measures before eh eh?) and should be spelled like so. C#-E-G-Bb is a very common d7, used from borrowing one note, Bb, from the parallel minor. Resolves all pretty and whatnot.
Good job on the arrangement. I can hear the original piece, which is fantastic. Good job again. 

Ah, thank you! Makes sense. I have fixed it accordingly. (...sneaky Japs :3) Btw, thanks for explaining how the Bb originates in measure 18. I've always been puzzled by the nature of accidentals, as if somehow a composer just "decides" that a certain note shouldn't follow the given key signature. Apparently, that's not the case.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 26, 2012, 10:51:37 AMI'm almost positive that the red notes in measures 5 & 9 should match the red notes in 6 &10.

Fixed. Somehow, I didn't hear it when transcribing.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

Was looking over another one of G-Han's arrangements for Link's Awakening, "Mysterious Woods", and found it was far below satisfactory: no key signature (should be G minor), rhythms are notated twice longer than necessary, and, worst of all, entire parts were omitted. Here is my take on the song~

[GB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mysterious Woods":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I'm beginning to think I'm doing these "fix-ups" wrong XD Everytime so far, I end up completely overhauling the entire arrangement. Oh well  ::)  Anyway, this next contribution towards Fixing the Sheets is a total re-draft of G-Han's "Tal Tal Mountain Range" arrangement. Although this was actually a pretty good arrangement compared to some of the other arrangements of G-Han's that I've gone through so far, I felt, for this particularly epic song, it needed an arrangement to match that original epicness. Due to alot of the note overlap between parts, I had to sorta "re-invent" and make variations of the 16th note runs for the L.H., as G-Han had omitted them. I also added the key change section, which G-Han's arrangement was missing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Tal Tal Heights":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I wasn't satisfied with Jimbabwe's arrangement of "Awaken" (I think the actual title is "Link Awakens"). Since it is the first song you hear upon starting your file, I think it deserves a better arrangement. Here's my take~

"Link Awakens":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

The Deku Trombonist

Here's a thought! The chord in bar 1 in the LH is a Gb half-dim 7. So if you spelled it as such, you'd end up with (in root position) Gb Bbb Dbb Fb. Fun times!

pumpy_heart

I hear the chord a different way. The chord is definitely ambiguous, but it does have a sense of motion from dominant to tonic. My ears hear the Ab in the lowest register functioning as scale degree 2 to scale degree 1 in bar 2. Using this interpretation, the rest of the notes are just neighbor notes. So I hear Ab-C-A all as neighbor notes. The Gb is a common tone to both chords, so that spelling would stay the same. That only leaves pitch class E. Hm. The best interpretation from that harmonically is to spell it as is, Ab-C-E is an augmented triad. But I think Fb is preferred here and necessary as well because of the tendency of the lowered scale degree 7 in most Eastern music, as well as Eastern game music. This would also end up being a neighbor to Gb.
So from the ground up harmonically, I hear Ab-C-Fb-Gb-A. You can trace the harmonic and linear points I made in the paragraph above to spell this unfamiliar chord (Debussy what?). If there's anything that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Then again, this chord isn't in the original so it could be left off all together. Interesting enough, the only pitch class not included in the chromatic run, A, is in the chord. The full aggregate is nice and noticeable. Good arrangement!

Bespinben

Just some minor touch-ups today, no major overhauls. Bottle Grotto was actually a fairly good arrangement to begin with, as well as Dr. Write's House. However, Catfish's Maw was simply a bad transcription, as if the arranger got lost in the song while making it.

"Bottle Grotto":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Catfish's Maw":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Dr. Write's House":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Also, I believe I should give some feedback on the arrangements others have done so far for the FtS project:

Angler's Tunnel - Very nice, but I think the distance between the bass and treble staves could be widened to avoid collision with the crescendo marking.
Animal Village - Great job, good articulation. However, a BPM of 180 is absolutely not acceptable. This isn't speedcore techno, lol. I suggest re-writing the arrangement with half as long note values and half the tempo speed.
Fishing Under the Bridge - Looks good to me!
Nightmare - Great arrangement, but it's the completely wrong song! That's just the regular "Boss Battle" theme.
The Ghost's House - Very nice, but instead of writing single Leo at the beginning, write "con pedale" and then write in invisible pedal markings. Currently, the playback is very muddy because of that.

Quote from: pumpy_heart on June 28, 2012, 07:55:04 AMI hear the chord a different way. The chord is definitely ambiguous, but it does have a sense of motion from dominant to tonic. My ears hear the Ab in the lowest register functioning as scale degree 2 to scale degree 1 in bar 2. Using this interpretation, the rest of the notes are just neighbor notes. So I hear Ab-C-A all as neighbor notes. The Gb is a common tone to both chords, so that spelling would stay the same. That only leaves pitch class E. Hm. The best interpretation from that harmonically is to spell it as is, Ab-C-E is an augmented triad. But I think Fb is preferred here and necessary as well because of the tendency of the lowered scale degree 7 in most Eastern music, as well as Eastern game music. This would also end up being a neighbor to Gb.
So from the ground up harmonically, I hear Ab-C-Fb-Gb-A. You can trace the harmonic and linear points I made in the paragraph above to spell this unfamiliar chord (Debussy what?). If there's anything that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Then again, this chord isn't in the original so it could be left off all together. Interesting enough, the only pitch class not included in the chromatic run, A, is in the chord. The full aggregate is nice and noticeable. Good arrangement!

Thanks so much for the input! I changed the chord spelling accordingly.

Bespinben

More stuff for FtS. Yay! I made replacement for "Mabe Village" -- not that G-Han's was bad, it was actually good, I just wanted it to be MORE, since it's such an iconic tune.

"Mabe Village":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Here are some I did today that were just minor touch-ups. V.E. Norman already did a good job on these, so I just mostly just did page reformatting and corrected a few standardization errors.

"Eagle's Tower":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Face Shrine":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"First Time on Koholint":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

The Deku Trombonist

Measure numbers in Eagle's Tower have gone *poof*

Bespinben

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on June 30, 2012, 06:56:01 PMMeasure numbers in Eagle's Tower have gone *poof*

Silly me XD I think what happened was, instead of opening a new document and re-writing the arrangement, I made the edits on the original .mus, which must have not had measure numbers due to low-level or old Finale model. Fixed.

Btw, is the B section I added to "Mabe Village" appropriate? It's not in the OST, but I did include the original 2-note version in the first half of the arrangement.

pumpy_heart

I tried real hard to find errors in Mabe Village. Good job there. The B section isn't really a contrasting section, continues in the same vain. Idunno, that'd be up to the higher ups.

I did see a few in the other ones you didn't touch.
In Eagle's Tower, I hear the main theme differently than what either of you have. I hear A-C#-B#-C#. Wait, yes I can make a case. for hearing it this way. The two are the same harmonically. A major third with a chromatic lower neighbor on the top voice. I think it should be A-C#-B#-C#, then Ab-B-C-B. Use whichever spelling of Ab/G# in the right hand that corresponds to what's going on beneath it. Gb in 13. In this highly chromatic music, you always try to spell it best on the situation. The pitches play less for the tonal side, so the goal is to make things as simple as possible for the reader.
However, in 17, I would make the case for a more tonal background. I hear D#-E#-F#-A# in the left hand. Would spell the right hand with D# and F# there, possibly B# if you'd like. Would make sense for the C#-B#-D# in measure 18. A# in the right hand in 19. Probably would spell the left hand D#-E#-F#-D.
In 25, definitely back to tonal ground again, based off the beginning. Instead of Bb, I would use A#. 29 is just based off Bminor, so B-C#-D-A etc. G# in measure 32. C# minor in 33. C#-D#-E-B. Then A# in 35. Nice little piece there, good morning analysis to wake up to.

EDIT: Definitely wanted to post that before it got lost in the little sub-bar. Didn't want to lose it.
Face Shrine is perfect. As is the other one. Should've just looked real quick before posting. Why am I still rambling? Keep up the good work!

Bespinben

Several minor touch-ups today. The dungeon themes are very weird in terms of accidentals though, so I made need someone knowledgable to look over those *cough* pumpy *cough*. Details on specific revisions I did can be found on the Ninsheetmusic Wiki on the Zelda FtS page.

"Key Cavern":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Miniboss":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Richard's Villa":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Shop":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Tail Cave":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

"Trendy Games":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 13, 2012, 07:37:11 AMI tried real hard to find errors in Mabe Village. Good job there. The B section isn't really a contrasting section, continues in the same vain. Idunno, that'd be up to the higher ups.

I did see a few in the other ones you didn't touch.
In Eagle's Tower, I hear the main theme differently than what either of you have. I hear A-C#-B#-C#. Wait, yes I can make a case. for hearing it this way. The two are the same harmonically. A major third with a chromatic lower neighbor on the top voice. I think it should be A-C#-B#-C#, then Ab-B-C-B. Use whichever spelling of Ab/G# in the right hand that corresponds to what's going on beneath it. Gb in 13. In this highly chromatic music, you always try to spell it best on the situation. The pitches play less for the tonal side, so the goal is to make things as simple as possible for the reader.
However, in 17, I would make the case for a more tonal background. I hear D#-E#-F#-A# in the left hand. Would spell the right hand with D# and F# there, possibly B# if you'd like. Would make sense for the C#-B#-D# in measure 18. A# in the right hand in 19. Probably would spell the left hand D#-E#-F#-D.
In 25, definitely back to tonal ground again, based off the beginning. Instead of Bb, I would use A#. 29 is just based off Bminor, so B-C#-D-A etc. G# in measure 32. C# minor in 33. C#-D#-E-B. Then A# in 35. Nice little piece there, good morning analysis to wake up to.

EDIT: Definitely wanted to post that before it got lost in the little sub-bar. Didn't want to lose it.
Face Shrine is perfect. As is the other one. Should've just looked real quick before posting. Why am I still rambling? Keep up the good work!

THAANK YOU! You're so helpful pumpy, truly. Corrections have been applied.

Bespinben

I was looking over Jake3343's arrangement of the "Credits" theme from Link's Awakening, and, after comparing to the original, found it was fairly bad transcription. Coincidentally, I found out that the arrangement was based on a MIDI from Vgmusic, go figure  ::)  As such, I decided to write re-write the arrangement myself from scratch.

"Credits":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I'll be honest, V.E. Norman's arrangement of the "Opening" theme of Link's Awakening did not do justice to the epic, cinematic intro of the game. Instead of revising his, I decided to make my own arrangement, and I hope it better captures the feeling of the original:

"Opening":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

EDIT: It looks like I've done all the Link's Awakening arrangements marked as Available  ;D  However, since Sekter's contributions to FtS still need fixing, and considering he hasn't been on the forums since February, I'll take the liberty to fix the songs he claimed. Once I do that, I'll make another post with a list for all the revisions/replacements for Link's Awakening, and then we can move on to the next soundtrack!

EDIT 2: Before anyone states something like "how am I supposed to play the L.H. in beginning of Opening", let me state there I wrote the L.H. in separate layers to signify an implied pedaling.