The "Fixing the Sheets" Project

Started by Shadoninja, October 02, 2011, 09:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Shadoninja

Quote from: Winter on November 30, 2011, 07:46:04 PMThere's another Fixing the sheets thread that focuses on all of ours.

And I didn't read that, but I guess since it's his thread, it's his choice.
I have no problem with it however I can see how it may make this thread cluttered. Perhaps we could use the other thread for non-focus sheet replacement discussion. Would everyone else be fine with that?
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

GoronsOrchestrated

Quote from: Shadoninja on December 01, 2011, 11:09:20 AMI have no problem with it however I can see how it may make this thread cluttered. Perhaps we could use the other thread for non-focus sheet replacement discussion. Would everyone else be fine with that?
I say 'Sure! Why not!'
Quote from: DrP on December 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM
I didn't know he or those arrangements existed.

... ಠ_ಠ

Shadoninja

From Henceforth, all discussion of sheets not related to the current focus shall be diverted to this thread.

Artifact Acquisition Fanfare

It's not really necessary, but I think a Bb could be added in the key signature. I think it makes it look nicer. Otherwise, it's good.

Brinstar

I agree with Sekter here. I don't think the repeats and key changes are necessary either. The repeats should be removed and the section to be repeated be added back into it.

The right hand of measures 13 and 17 are impossible as is. Holding down the note in layer 1 and playing  the notes in layer 2 gets difficult with the third note in layer 2. The tied note in layer 1 could be turned into a rest.

I think the duration of the notes in layer 2 should be extended to two beats.

This next point is redundant since the repeats should be removed, but that last repeat does not, in practice, go to the beginning. Repeat signs go to the nearest forward repeat. So even though it's assigned to go to measure 1, the performer should go back to the repeat sign in measure 7.

Escape Theme

I think the tempo should be Quarter = 150 .  The time signature could also be 12/8 to keep it consistent with Brinstar. If the time signature is changed to 12/8, the tempo would be a dotted note.

It would seem that Metroidhunter misspelled his own username. It should be "MetroidHunter26"not "MetoridHunter26".

The natural sign in measure 16 is covered by the notes. Use the selection tool and hit CTRL+A to select the entire sheet and then change the music spacing by going to "Utilities → Music Spacing → Apply Note Spacing to Current Part/Score(CTRL+4)" and then updating it in "Utilities → Update Layout(CTRL+U)". I recommend doing this with every sheet.

Measure 18 - The duration of the B in the right hand could be extended to 3 beats and have the G D B D notes in another layer. I think that sounds nicer than what's written. The same thing could be applied to measures 21-23 but in measure 23 having the first set of triplets removed for playability.

I don't think the repeats here are necessary.  Remove the repeats, add measures where repeated parts occur, remove the last 8 measures, and then add a repeat at the end.

Final Mission

Measure 1, 5, 9, 29 – The tied quarter notes should be replaced with half notes.

In Measure 2, 6, and 30 - I think it would work better if the chords were in layer 1 and the single F# on beat 4 should be on layer 2. the chord would be turned into a dotted half in this case.

Measure 10 – I don't think that G Bb chord needs to it's own separate entity. The G Bb C# chord could be turned into a dotted half Also I think the Bb would be better spelled as an A#.

Measure 15, 16, 23, 24 – the second quarter note needs to be split into tied eighths/quavers so we can clearly see beat 2 and 3.

Measure 24-28 – The rhythms in the left hand should be simplified. For example, tied eighths/quavers from the "and of 1" and "on 2" should be simplified to a quarter. Same goes for the "and of 3" and "on 4".

Measure 26 – I see no reason why the C natural is tied.

There should not be any dotted rests in a simple measure.

I believe pickup rules state that any beats missing from the beginning must be added to the end. I think adding a half rest and quarter rest at the beginning should be sufficient since we really can't add anything to the end without it looking strange.

Item Found

I think the C and A should be extended to one beat and the rest should be put in the second layer.

I feel two beats is too short for the ending. Perhaps it could be extended to 3 or 4 with ties to the next measure.

A trill should be added. I think it trills to G.

Kraid's Lair

Like in Brinstar, the repeats just go to the nearest forward repeat instead of the beginning. I don't think the repeats are all that necessary.

At measure 9, it goes from a 6/8 piece to a... 6/8 piece. Looking at the difference in time signature menus, the beginning starts with 6 ungrouped eighths/quavers, while the other has them grouped into dotted quarters. It'd be best to change them to one uniform time signature.

Ridley's Hideout

I think there should be a key signature here. The ones that I find work best here are Bb Minor for the first 4 measures and then C# Minor for the last 4.

fingerz

Alrighty! Consider it done. I'll have them fixed as soon as possible. :)

Artifact Acquisition Fanfare is fixed.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

fingerz

Alright! They're all fixed. Just click on the previous links as they have been updated. :)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Shadoninja

Quote from: fingerz on December 15, 2011, 12:50:25 PMAlright! They're all fixed. Just click on the previous links as they have been updated. :)
I shall check them out once I look over the sheets I haven't reviewed yet.

It's time that I assign some sheets to QA members that have not been assigned sheets to look over.

Slowpokemon

Metroid Prime - Phendrana Drifts

Metroid Prime 2 - Main Theme

WiiMan96

Metroid Prime 2 - Theme of U-mos

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Title Screen

spitllama

I'll take another as well Shado. I don't think I really have a section I'm focusing on so any piece would be fine.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Shadoninja

Quote from: spitllama on December 20, 2011, 09:14:25 AMI'll take another as well Shado. I don't think I really have a section I'm focusing on so any piece would be fine.
take a look at these then.
Tallon Overworld (the sheet should be renamed Tallon Overworld 2)

Torvus Bog

thanks.

Shadoninja

Winter is forcing has politely requested that we attempt to finish the metroid section for new years. if anyone would like to assist, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Winter

34.5 hours remain. I'd like to post the update with all the Metriod replacements by mid-day January 1st my time.

I'm pulling an all nighter to make this happen. It should be a very nice update. As shado has said, any help will be appreciated, and you will be mentioned in the post for your help.

Shadoninja

we've started a skype group for all of the discussions. If you would like to be added, send a contact request to either me(shado.ninja) or winter(winterkid09) and we'll add you in.

pumpy_heart

Uhm. I can probably get my sheets done by January 1st, finishing them up that afternoon. I'm currently out of town though, so I can't make any promises. But I'm down with this. Let's do it.

Shadoninja

Quote from: pumpy_heart on December 30, 2011, 01:32:45 PMUhm. I can probably get my sheets done by January 1st, finishing them up that afternoon. I'm currently out of town though, so I can't make any promises. But I'm down with this. Let's do it.
great! do you have skype? I'd like to have one place for everyone to discuss things

WiiMan96

I'd have finished my QA duties by now, but I'm currently not feeling well at all and probably won't be able to check those sheets in time for a replacement to be made before the deadline. :( Letting you know, Shado, so that maybe you can pass the checking on if the deadline is to be met? I'll make it up to you all once I'm feeling better! (And if it's not done before the deadline I'll get to it as soon as possible.)

Sorry.