News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Needed massive Ninsheetmusic arrangement overhaul!

Started by Meta-Ridley, September 26, 2011, 03:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meta-Ridley

Hi guys,

Today I had a sudden urge to play "Fountain of Dreams", from Super Smash Bros. Mellee. I downloaded the PDF, started to learn, and the further I went into the piece, the more places i found impractical arrangements of chords and notes in one hand that are hardly possible to play at tempo (unless you've got giant hands).

I had a look at some of the other arrangements on the site, and realised that though they may be accurate portrayals of the pieces, note by note, but they are not up to the standard to that of a professional piano sheet music site, the standard that it should be at.

This is because Ninsheetmusic is full of transcriptions. And I say transcriptions because a transcription is a note by note portrayal of a piece, as I said above. But what use are transcriptions if they're not playable, which is the point of this entire site?! Ninsheetmusic, should be full of arrangements, which are transcriptions that have been arranged in a way that it is possible to play it on one or more instruments. In Ninsheetmusic's case, the instrument is, of course, piano. Just in case you didn't know.

So I suggest that a group of enthusiastic forum members (myself included) systematically check all 2000 sheets, to ensure that they are actually possible to play. We may have 2000 pieces on the site, but as the old saying goes, quality over quantity. I would also like that when pieces are being submitted for the site, they are checked that they are possible to play. I know this probably won't happen immediatley, but instead of having 2000 sheets of crappy mediocrity, we can be a reliable, trustworthy site that has a professional outlook on the way sheetmusic is made.    

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Kazooie

10 Jiggy Fanfare - playable
Battle with Gruntilda - playable (good arranging Deku :))
Boggy's Igloo - Sad - playable
Bridge to Gruntilda's Lair - playable
Bubblegloop Swamp - not playable (the octave semiquavers and octave quaver triplets - try the octave only on the main beats of each bar)
Cauldron Keep - playable
Challenge Win Fanfare - not playable (at tempo) but I don't think anyone would mind if that was played a bit slower, being just a fanfare
Cheato's Theme - playable
Clanker's Cavern - playable
Click Clock Wood Nabnut's House - playable (but you better have pretty darn independent fingers in your left hand)
Click Clock Wood (Spring) - playable
Click Clock Wood (Summer) - not playable (very awkward chord bar 16 that wouldn't be playable at speed)
Click Clock Wood (Winter) - playable
Freezeezy Peek - not playable (the octaves in bar 2? I don't think so.)
Game Over - playable
Gobi's Valley - playable
Gruntilda's Lair - playable
Grunty's Furnace Fun - playable
King Sandybutt's Maze - playable(just)
Lose a Life - playable
Mad Monster Mansion - playable(just)
Mad Monster Mansion (aquatic) - playable
Mad Monster Mansion (church) - playable
Mad Monster Mansion (Down Loggo, The toilet) - playable
Mumbo's Hut - playable (again, needs very independent fingers)
Mumbo's Mountain - playable
Opening - Playable
Overture - not playable (bar 121 onwards in right hand, and things like bar 104 beat 3 are not possible at the specified tempo)
Pause Menu - playable
Rusty Bucket Bay - playable
Rusty Bucket Bay (Boss Boom Box) - not playable (naturally, the first two bars are completely unplayable at the specified tempo)
Rusty Bucket Bay (warehouse) - playable
Spiral Mountain - playable
Spiral Mountain (Duet) - playable
Treasure Trove Cove - playable (with no specified tempo, I can't really say its not playable)
Treasure Trove Cove (BETA) - playable
Treasure Trove Cove (Sand Castle - Aquatic) - playable
Wonderwing! - not playable (the first bar right hand just can't be done alone! it needs to be arranged so both hands can do the first bart!)

Phew! The Banjo Kazooie Section of the Banjo Kazooie Section is done!

Oh, of course - Fountain of Dreams - not playable.

pumpy_heart

You mean something like this?
I agree with checking every sheet though. But that's the goal of that thread as well. And the updaters are still allowing for infinite replacements to be submitted.

Meta-Ridley

That is a good thread, but I still think there should be a playability test when sheets are being submitted - don't you think it should be done right the first time?

Maybe I should go ahead with what I'm doing, and then post the "not playable"s on that thread.

master_gamer38

Quote from: metroid/bkfan on September 26, 2011, 03:48:28 AMBubblegloop Swamp - not playable (the octave semiquavers and octave quaver triplets - try the octave only on the main beats of each bar)
Challenge Win Fanfare - not playable (at tempo) but I don't think anyone would mind if that was played a bit slower, being just a fanfare
Click Clock Wood (Summer) - not playable (very awkward chord bar 16 that wouldn't be playable at speed)
Overture - not playable (bar 121 onwards in right hand, and things like bar 104 beat 3 are not possible at the specified tempo)
Rusty Bucket Bay (Boss Boom Box) - not playable (naturally, the first two bars are completely unplayable at the specified tempo)
Wonderwing! - not playable (the first bar right hand just can't be done alone! it needs to be arranged so both hands can do the first bart!)
Oh, of course - Fountain of Dreams - not playable.

I disagree that the are all not playable. They're just more advanced pieces. The ones I have here are all playable.

The only one I didn't disagree with, is Freezeezy Peak. Those would be a PAIN and it would kill your arm. It's not impossible though.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Meta-Ridley

they are playable, but not at the specified tempo.

Jub3r7

What if we organized the sheets in a separate thread by difficulty?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Meta-Ridley

this isn't really about difficulty though. It's more about playability - there's some stupid arrangements out there that need to be fixed.

master_gamer38

They are playable at tempo. They are just more difficult pieces. It just takes more practice.

Jub3r7

Quote from: metroid/bkfan on September 26, 2011, 08:47:50 PMthis isn't really about difficulty though. It's more about playability - there's some stupid arrangements out there that need to be fixed.

That's what the "Fixing the Sheets" project is for, I believe; until then, what if we grouped different levels of playability together (in a thread) so somebody could easily find sheets that match their level?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Greg

If difficulty ratings could be added to the main site that would be great.  :D

Meta-Ridley

OK. This is what I meant. These sheets aren't playable unless you are a 20 or more years virtuosic master. Some of the arrangements of these chords are dreadful. Maybe it would be better to have a limit to the difficulty.

Meta-Ridley

* or a an easier arrangement added for the extra virtuosic pieces.

Shadoninja

Quote from: gzgregory on September 26, 2011, 08:57:28 PMIf difficulty ratings could be added to the main site that would be great.  :D
difficulty ratings are too subjective.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Meta-Ridley

I agree with that. Stuff like easy, medium, hard is very subjective. I think putting a star next to the virtuosic ones would work though.

master_gamer38

Stars are typically given to denote something being better.

Quote from: metroid/bkfan on September 26, 2011, 08:58:02 PMOK. This is what I meant. These sheets aren't playable unless you are a 20 or more years virtuosic master. Some of the arrangements of these chords are dreadful. Maybe it would be better to have a limit to the difficulty.

I completely disagree. I could play most of these sheets within a year if I practiced. And I'm hardly a virtuosic pianist.