News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Cobraroll

Having people pair up to do something is a recipe for chaos. The smallest obstacle is, we would need an even number of participants. Even then there might be more people inclined to do instrumental work than choral (seeing as all entrants are likely to be fairly adept with instruments, but not everybody knows choral work).
Then some people might find out last minute that they can't do this. His/her partner will then have about a day to find somebody else to work with, or slap together something themselves, and you have the stuff with ID numbers, and you'd have to find competent judgrors, and...

To put it bluntly, the easiest thing to organize would be the solo idea. We could do lyrics later as a mini-contest.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SlowPokemon

I'd rather work on my own...and as to my vote:
Choral, with lyrics
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

insaneintherain

I think we should do the solo instrument thing. Maybe we could have both running at once...

Cobraroll

^As if one person would be willing to coordinate that... ;)

Okay, putting up a poll for the world to see. You have until tomorrow to come up with suggestions.

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Bespinben

I only brought up the idea of working in teams as an OPTION to participants in the contest. One could still work on his or her own should he or she wish to do so. I thought of it as a way so that people who didn't feel confident in choral arranging could still participate by contributing to the piano accompanimient.

And thanks for putting up the poll Cobra.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Cobraroll

Poll up. Be nice and vote.

Also, be patient. I'll be away for the weekend, so I won't be able to fix or add poll options before Sunday evening. You're warned.

dahans

voted for choir and piano. Its a good exercise.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Cobraroll

Okay, got a little more time than initially thought today.

So I added an "other" option. Feel free to use it.

SlowPokemon

I think the two choir/piano options should be counted together and then we can work in pairs if we want

Cobraroll

Perhaps, say we judge individual pieces, and let the contestants sort out the pairs themselves? I.e. both contestants sign up for the contest, and specify that they are working together. I send one of them an ID, and they sort it out between them. Makes it a little easier to coordinate.

If two individuals find out that they prefer working together after both have gotten an ID, they could PM me and I say which ID they can put in their sheet.

Bespinben

It seems we're at an impass here - a total of 7 votes for choir and piano and a total of 7 votes for solo instrument. I suppose "choir and piano - individual" is winning technically since it has the most votes of the 4 options, but that's a very narrow way of looking at things.

EDIT: Someone else just voted for choir and piano - pairs. This is the first new vote I've seen in awhile though.

EDIT 2: Someone else just voted for single instrument - free choice, leaving the voting perfectly tied up.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

MaestroUGC

Ok, any chance we could get this going. I see it's an even tie between the two, my main issue with the choral contest is lyrics. Would we be responsible for writing them, or can we get them from a source (related to the piece in question at least, or just write a bunch of oo's and ah's?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

pumpy_heart

Cobraroll

Lyrics would have to be made by the contestants, and be original. Otherwise, what's the fun?

For the time being, it looks like Solo Instruments are in the lead. I think it's time to make a decision.

You have until Sunday to vote.

Judgror signups will begin once we have decided on what type of contest to do.

SlowPokemon

Whichever one we do I think we should do the other next time