News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Problem while playing piano

Started by DonValentino, August 29, 2011, 04:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Recently, when I play the piano, I fell a terrible pain in my wrist, hand and even arm while playing songs like this, and I have to stop playing and rest a little bit. I went to the doctor: I had nothing. I asked my piano teacher: Said that could be some articulation problem and it will disappear soon. *Insert Spongebob´s narrator voice* Three weeks later... *Return to normal voice* still the same. Any idea what could it be? It only happens in songs like that, when you have to play the same chord again and again with a single hand.

It´s very odd, since 2-3 months ago I could play that song perfectly.  ???

EDIT: Also, I searched online problems that commonly affect pianists and some other pages with the right hand collocation on the keyboard (and nope, I put the right posture). I´m a little desperate, y´know, and I fear that it could go worse. Anyone had this same experience?

Clanker37

You might need to relax more. Make sure your shoulders are down and your upper body is loose. I get a pain in my wrist when I get very tense.

Olimar12345

I think its because of the octaves in the right hand-I know when I play alot of things in octaves that after a while it starts to hurt.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DrP

I get it a lot. If I play for more than 20 minutes I get it. I'm just always tense and I do lots of things that are against good use of my wrists. I do lots of things with my hands in a similar fashion (like typing ALOT), but I dont get cramps when I type.

It could just be irritated or onset Carpal Tunnel.

DonValentino

Quote from: DrP on August 29, 2011, 10:20:58 AMI get it a lot. If I play for more than 20 minutes I get it. I'm just always tense and I do lots of things that are against good use of my wrists. I do lots of things with my hands in a similar fashion (like typing ALOT), but I dont get cramps when I type.

It could just be irritated or onset Carpal Tunnel.

20 mins? I get it after playing that song only once! It could be irritated/onset Carpal Tunnel too...
I´ll try to relax my body more while playing, BTW. Thanks everyone!  :)

And c´mon! I´ve done lots on things with my arrangements thread! I´ve even organized the games by series and amplified the to-do list! Not even an opinion on my new arrangement or thread look?  ;-;

KefkaticFanatic

Use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Sports-Gyro-Wrist-Exerciser/dp/B000LPG5US

If you play piano a lot, use the computer often, or have some other kind of regular minor wrist movement happening then you should be exercising somehow to avoid carpal tunnel and related crap.

me irl
[close]

DonValentino

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on August 29, 2011, 10:37:59 AMUse one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Sports-Gyro-Wrist-Exerciser/dp/B000LPG5US

If you play piano a lot, use the computer often, or have some other kind of regular minor wrist movement happening then you should be exercising somehow to avoid carpal tunnel and related crap.

Ah! I have one of these!  :o