News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Orchestral Submissions-Temporary Holding Area

Started by MaestroUGC, August 28, 2011, 12:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

No worries. I'll admit that I've been slacking on my Music Theory studies.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 28, 2011, 09:40:44 PMI don't think we should be accepting every submission that we get just cus' someone posted it in the submission board-we should crack down more on reviewing sheets for acuracy and playablilty.

Amidst all the misspellings, you have a solid point, one that Winter WILL NOT LISTEN TO >_> (sorry Winter)

JUST BECAUSE DAHANS ARRANGES IT AND IT SOUNDS GOOD DOES NOT MAKE IT PLAYABLE OR A GOOD ARRANGEMENT (sorry dahans)

I realize I'm probably pissing multiple people off by posting this, but I've had this burning in my throat for quite a while now. I've tried to get this point across about dahans' Ruby/Sapphire medley, but all I got was "go ahead and submit a replacement then." Playability is far more important than the arrangement "sounding good." The sound of the piece isn't going to do anyone much good if no one can play it. I don't even care about the pieces being difficult, as long as they're not freakishly unplayable/hard.

I realize that an arrangement takes a long time, and it's hard work, and they're difficult to get perfect sometimes. But that's when you listen to feedback, not submit it anyway. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride.

There. I'm done with my ranting. I just can't stand requesting a piece, getting something impossible in return, and nothing being done about it. So I give up on that piece, or have to request it again, which ends in "hey there's already one on the site" or "hey [insert name] has done this."

It's not that I don't appreciate people arranging, I don't want anybody to get pissed and stop arranging or leave or anything, but we really need to start scrutinizing the sheets for these problems. (Mine included.)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Brassman388

Slow, if it means anything, I fully support you and your cause.

If you want me to give that piece a go, send me a link or something.

SlowPokemon

oh nonono you misunderstand, I'm not mad about that piece specifically, just the general thing.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Brassman388

Shadoninja

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 29, 2011, 04:26:00 PMI realize I'm probably pissing multiple people off by posting this, but I've had this burning in my throat for quite a while now. I've tried to get this point across about dahans' Ruby/Sapphire medley, but all I got was "go ahead and submit a replacement then." Playability is far more important than the arrangement "sounding good." The sound of the piece isn't going to do anyone much good if no one can play it. I don't even care about the pieces being difficult, as long as they're not freakishly unplayable/hard.
yeah it did seem like there was just a giant ego stroking session instead of actual in-depth, "here's what works, here's what doesn't" review. we as arrangers need more than "ZOMG DIS IZ AWESUM" in order for us to grow and get better at what we do.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Shadoninja on August 29, 2011, 05:31:45 PMyeah it did seem like there was just a giant ego stroking session instead of actual in-depth, "here's what works, here's what doesn't" review. we as arrangers need more than "ZOMG DIS IZ AWESUM" in order for us to grow and get better at what we do.

Very much so, yes.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Jub3r7

Kinda what I was trying to say; playability is extremely important with the orchestrated pieces, and it needs to be improved on with the piano sheets, too.

Well, I was emphasizing my former point, and slow seems to emphasize the latter.
It's annoying when someone tells me to skip a part if it's too hard. It's not that it's too hard, but the fact that certain parts of it are literally impossible to play. :/
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Brassman388

It is possible to make good music without making it hard.

Winter

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 29, 2011, 04:26:00 PMAmidst all the misspellings, you have a solid point, one that Winter WILL NOT LISTEN TO >_> (sorry Winter)

JUST BECAUSE DAHANS ARRANGES IT AND IT SOUNDS GOOD DOES NOT MAKE IT PLAYABLE OR A GOOD ARRANGEMENT (sorry dahans)

Most of the reason dahans' Route 1 submission was put up was just to test the system for orch uploads. I had a lot I wanted changed.

triforced1

I was in progress with a couple songs. Guess I'll just arrange them for piano now.

dahans

Haha lol I seriously didn't realize that there was a discussion about my arrangements...

1) my route 1 arrangement is playable. I have listened to it several times and I can't find a section that's unplayable.

2) Concerning my arrangements... if you consider them unplayable go ahead and make a replacement, I have no problem with that. The only thing that matters for me is fun. If the piece isn't fun arranging for me, I won't do it. And if your arrangement is better than mine, it would be just fair, if it replaced mine. I know that some of my pieces aren't playable (I play the piano for more than 12 years now. If I didn't know it, it would be embarrassing^^). Before I started arranging, I wanted to play some of the arrangements on the site. And even IF they seem playable, they aren't. You'd have to practise for many many years to play the very first measures, just because the bassline (for example) is too difficult. So I started to adapt this pieces... I left out a few notes... changed something... (actually the start of my arranging career^^). Same with my arrangements: Look at my route 209 arrangements, for instance. The bassline seems to be rather easy. It was my very first arrangement, I have tried to play. And the bass line is incredibly difficult... That's the problem: Most/All of our arrangers want the piece to be accurate, but as a result it often becomes unplayable.
As I said, go ahead and make replacements, the only thing that matters for me was fun. Otherwise I would have never arranged a sinlge piece.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

HugoMeister

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 29, 2011, 04:26:00 PMrant

People here need to realize that if the piece wasn't specifically written for piano solo, then you're going to have an extremely hard time capturing the original piece in two staves.

Ensemble and Orchestral works are a lot more lenient with these types of things, given the size and instrumentation of them, but you really need to pull back with only 10 fingers.

Right hand - Melody and slight harmony, no more than 2 layers
Left hand - Bass line and/or slight harmony, 1 layer only

I really feel NSM should cater towards a more average-level pianist than beginners or (ugh, shoot me for saying it) 'virtuosos'. Right now, its a jumbled mess of crap, over-simplicity, a few practical works, and impossibility.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

KefkaticFanatic

It's perfectly reasonable to have two layers on both hands so long as it's done properly.

Example in classical work: http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No.8,_Op.13_%28Beethoven,_Ludwig_van%29 [2nd movement]

me irl
[close]