Orchestral Submissions-Temporary Holding Area

Started by MaestroUGC, August 28, 2011, 12:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

With the status of the orchestral submissions unclear, I thought this would be a good way for people to have their would-be submissions reviewed until we can determine what will happen with them.

For now, post your arrangements here and I will look at them as if it were for submission. This will also help me adjust some guidelines if necessary. If the arrangements will be allowed, then we'll just move these arrangemtns to the proper thread. If not, at least you got some criticism. This won't happen unless you all put something foward.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Brassman388

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jub3r7

It's down 50% of the time.

Personally, I think the orchestral arrangements would be a cool addition to the website, as long as they are all reviewed thoroughly for playability, rather than adaptability.

For some arrangements, the arranger describes in their thread that if a certain part is too hard or impossible to perform, then the player does not have to play it.
I'd rather not have this circumstance at all for the orchestral; while directors often do have to adapt to a piece in order to make it performance-ready, it would appear more professional if it wasn't necessary for them to change anything at all.

And while looks don't mean everything, they make the pieces more likely to be performed in a concert.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

HugoMeister

Its been up for months man. Also this place is still having serious trouble with piano, I don't think adding an orchestral repertoire is really a good idea.

Fix the site, fix the staff, fix the music, then expand.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

HugoMeister

You know, having more than one person that actually does something.

Jub3r7

I know it's been up, but half of the time I try to go there I get an error message.
Here, I'll try to go there right now:

QuoteConnection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.
Oops.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Olimar12345

What, are you using ie or something?

Edit: I totally agree with Hugo 100%. We should've got our shit together BEFORE the decision was made to accept orchestra pieces.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

Quote from: Jub3r7 on August 28, 2011, 07:36:47 PMI know it's been up, but half of the time I try to go there I get an error message.
Here, I'll try to go there right now
It happened to me just now as well. I just refreshed and it came up. Apparently it's slow for some reason.

SlowPokemon

What's wrong with being Slow? Anyway about the staff thing, they just accepted Winter and Kefka...I mean, are we going to add even more staff members or try to get the existing staff to update more frequently? (I know winter's been updating, but meh...)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

HugoMeister

I don't care about "when" the updates happen, rather "what" is being uploaded.

Also updates aren't the only thing staff is supposed to do. There's a whole forum that's full of flaming and all that fun stuff, yet almost nothing is ever done about it.

Plus there's web-development. Right now everything is still done manually, it could be so much easier with just a little bit of coding. Right now its just a huge waste of resources and potential.

Quote from: Jub3r7 on August 28, 2011, 07:36:47 PMI know it's been up, but half of the time I try to go there I get an error message.
Here, I'll try to go there right now:
Oops.

Sometimes the server derps up, I can't help that, but its not very often.

Olimar12345

I don't think we should be accepting every submission that we get just cus' someone posted it in the submission board-we should crack down more on reviewing sheets for acuracy and playablilty. (I know we sort of do, but we can do better) That way we won't have to have to submit as many replacements(I know that I've had to revise my work multiple times!)

But as for Winter and Kefta-we need ppl on the staff that know more about proper music notation, and theory rules. Neither of them really arrange muisic as far as I know. I'd rather Maestro or Brassman be the next mod.

Winter

We should probably have a system set up where I upload the sheets to the database, and we have more musically experienced members for sheet checking.

I'm more of a maintenance kind of guy. The main reason I was doing updates, was to get our site out of the rut we had been stuck in, which has happened. now it's time to crack down.

Although I may not arrange, I do know my music theory just fine. As does Kefka. ha and I have actually submitted a few sheets, although his were under a different username, I believe.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Winter on August 28, 2011, 10:00:18 PMWe should probably have a system set up where I upload the sheets to the database, and we have more musically experienced members for sheet checking.

Nice idea there! Sorry if I sounded like I was rippin' on you two, I wasn't trying to.