News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

Submissions for Thanksgiving Update

Started by Winter, August 19, 2011, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

Post up to 3 new submissions and as many replacements as you want.

Here are the Formatting Guidelines. Please read & follow them, it makes things easier and it makes the site look more professional.

Please provide PDF, MUS, and MIDI format, and make sure to write the arranger name in your post, if it is not your own username. Just to avoid mix-ups :)

Want to be a featured arranger?

Your feature gives you a spot on the next update that is dedicated to you and your arrangements, this is in addition to everybody else's submissions.

Send me a PM with all of your unsubmitted sheets (replacements or not) and you will be randomly picked out of the applicants. If you are chosen, all of your arrangements will go through the same process as if posted here. You are still welcome to post arrangements here, regardless of whether you are picked or not. Please have a decent amount of sheets ready when you PM me (8-10 at least). Good luck!

Any applicants that don't win this week are automatically applied for the following week.

List of accepted arrangements (Updated constantly):

[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Jabu Jabu's Belly" - winterkid09
[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Gnarled Root Dungeon" - Dudeman
[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Boss" - Dudeman
[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Wing Dungeon" - Dudeman
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky - "Hidden Land" - Joel Hands-Otte
[NDS] Pokemon Black/White Versions - "N's Room" - Joel Hands-Otte
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky - "Hidden Highland" - Joel Hands-Otte
[GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age - "Final Beacon" - Thomas Wilson
[NES] Final Fantasy - "Prelude" - Thomas Wilson

Dudeman

[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Gnarled Root Dungeon":[PDF][MIDI][MUS]

Things to fix: There should be a grace note right before the first quarter note in the right hand of measure 19. Find that and add it in. Toss some dynamics in there, and you are good to go!

-Winter

Dudeman:
...those are eighth notes. And I already have a grace note. ??

Winter: No, you do not. Please add it :)

Dudeman:
...do you mean the left hand?

Winter: I did not.

The right hand. You may listen to the OST here. Please add that in! :)

Dudeman:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! You're talking about the MUS! Finale Notepad 2003 can't do grace notes (I think?). The PDF has a grace note.

[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Boss":[PDF][MIDI][MUS]

This song was hard to analyze. The left hand was nearly impossible to make out until the part where the treble cut out. To the best of my knowledge it is accurate, but near impossible to play.

I understand that this song is nearly impossible to arrange in a playable manner, I'll give you that.

Things to fix: You need dynamics. Since the OST had a nearly inaudible bass track, you're going to want to have those 16ths quieter than the rest. Since you are the arranger, it's your choice whether to make the treble forte or the bass quieter.

Since it's now our standard to have 2 updaters check all of the sheets, someone else will be throwing in their 2 cents into this arrangement, and giving it the final O.K. Until then, it's not accepted because of Dynamics and 'possibly' playability.

IF the sheet cannot possibly be arranged any easier, the playability will be disregarded, because it's NinSheetMusic's job to strive towards a complete collection of VG sheets.

-Winter

Dudeman:
Sorry. Can't do nothing about playability. I think it's almost comparable to Frozen Hillside Two Piano Duet.
Will fix the dynamics, though.
EDIT: Small problem. MuseScore can't read two dynamic markings at the same time. The two dynamics could be in the PDF, but not the MIDI or the MUS. Thoughts?

[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Wing Dungeon":[PDF][MIDI][MUS]

Alright, so this sheet looks nice. Not too much to arrange though, so it must've been easy ;)

Things to fix: First off, dynamics. Obviously. Spend some time listening to the original. Feel it. You'll probably hear the watery sound it produces. Because of the effects of the chiptune being used, each of the notes will dissipate after the length of a dotted quarter note. This being said, remove the half rests you have between your right hand melody. Then for the third (what you have written as a) eights note, make it a dotted quarter. and just an eighth rest to complete the measure.

The left hand notes will only last an eight note though. Those are correct. Heck, make them stacatto so that the player will really feel it.

Continue with this feel through the rest of the song. Remember the dynamics. A piano player always looks above the first measure to be told what style a song is to be played in.

-Winter

Dudeman:
*sigh* This is why I really want critiquing in my arrangements topic. Otherwise, all these things come in when I'm trying to submit them!
I will take your suggestions and see how it turns out.

Dudeman:
As of 11/12/11, everything that you've suggested has been implemented into these arrangements.

I am looking forward to seeing these arrangements added to the site!
-Winter
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

fingerz

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky - "Hidden Land" - Joel Hands-Otte [ZIP]
[NDS] Pokémon Black/White Versions - "N's Room" - Joel Hands-Otte [ZIP]
[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky - "Hidden Highland" - Joel Hands-Otte [ZIP]

Replacement:
[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - "Spinda's Café (Duet)" - Joel Hands-Otte [ZIP]

Deku:
Hidden Land: Seeing as you wrote this in 6 flats, then some of the B naturals would be better written as C flats. Places like bar 13 and then bar 28 to the end. Also, in the 'slower' section, you want to be grouping the rhythms the same in the left and right hand. E.g. in the 5/4 bar, the right hand is grouped 2+3 while the left is 3+2, which makes it confusing to read. And the same thing with the 7/4 bar. And I suppose similar things with the 6/4 bars too (having the left hand grouped 3+3 and the right hand 2+2+2 in some places). I'm being picky, overall, it's very good.
Fingerz:
Aye aye! I'll fix that for you. :D
Done! Fixed!

Deku:
Hidden Land: Hmm, better. But still some odd things with accidentals going on. I'll just fix them myself.
N's Room: That key change doesn't work because the tonality of the song hasn't changed and then it's just full of accidentals.
Hidden Highland: Pretty good, but same issue as Hidden land.
Spinda's Cafe: This would probably be best suited to being written in 4/4 with swing quavers, mainly because the song is kinda jazzy.

On a side note, congratulations on your use of dynamics and articulations!

Fingerz:
Alrighty! I'll have a look at those songs and change them for you! I'll have it done by tomorrow. :)
QUESTION! Should I just leave N's Room without a key signature? It just doesn't seem to fit into one. XD

EDIT: N's Room fixed.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

pumpy_heart

Same three as last week. Don't skip me this time! XD
[GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age - "Final Beacon" - Thomas Wilson
[NES] Final Fantasy - "Prelude" - Thomas Wilson Midi
[XBOX] Halo 2 - "Peril"- Thomas Wilson

Kefka:
Prelude is wrong.  A bunch of notes are an octave higher than they should be for some reason.  Also no dynamics symbol.
Haven't looked at the others much yet.

pumpy_heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7A3xpCStfs Prelude is right. The dynamics were never required before and for pieces like this, I leave it up to the performer, especially when the volume is at the same throughout the original piece in game.

Kefka:
Dynamics should always be required.  If you look at better arrangers they always have the right dynamics and articulation throughout the piece.  It's about time we stop letting people get away with meh arrangements.
You're right on the notes I suppose.  I was listening to a different version from a rerelease or something.  I'm guessing the NES wasn't able to play notes that low so that's why they're like that .-.

EDIT: I do see your point though about some simpler arrangements like this.  However, when looking at many pieces of music I see that the sheets always have some dynamics mark unless it's an exercise like Hanon or Bach Inventions, so unless you can find me a bunch of examples of where that's not the case, it really does seem that there's a standard of at least putting a simple mp or mf and that we should follow it here.

pumpy_heart
I could see that logic as well. Just to keep a standard. There's a ton of sheets that haven't used them and I rarely use them for the site, as for reasons listed. I can edit them in. Will you see if there are anything else wrong with the other arrangements so I don't have to upload multiple copies?

EDIT: Replacement: [DS] Final Fantasy III - "A Dancer's Dance" - Thomas Wilson Midi
It appears that this update has stalled.

Deku:
Final Beacon: Those triplet rhythms are pretty awkward to read. Can something be done to clean them up? Also, dynamics.
Prelude: Dynamics. You could also do some pretty things with phrase markings.

pumpy_heart:
Still feel like dynamics are approached radically different than classical pieces, or popular pieces for that matter. But here's the corrections.
[GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age - "Final Beacon" - Thomas Wilson Midi
[NES] Final Fantasy - "Prelude" - Thomas Wilson Midi
These are just transcriptions in my eyes, so marking phrases or dynamics where there aren't any feels wrong. I changed the rhythm in the Final Beacon. The repeated notes ease the figuration over, but I left them out in this transcription. Took out the doubled bass too. The pedaling is added to the NES piece because of the echo repeats of each note. Shouldn't intervene with anything and helps recreate that sound without repeating each note.

Shadoninja

Quote from: fingerz on August 19, 2011, 07:50:55 PMDon't worry about the key signature for N's Room. I did some research and found out that the song doesn't have a key signature due to the changing of naturals and sharps. :)
I believe it changes key at measure 5 to B minor.
http://www.mediafire.com/?7kyj64hbeyw7d77

there are still naturals and sharps but that's fine.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

What day are submissions due? Is it typically two days before the actual posting (Aug. 24th)?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Winter

I'd prefer that, yes. But I'll allow them to be in late more often than not. If by any chance I am going to close submissions, I'll make a post here telling you that.

spitllama

I'll do it

EDIT: PDF
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bloop

Mayor Duffy

I have duet for the game corner music from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum on Finale Notepad but do you need Finale Print Music to save it as a .mp3 file?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be..

Bloop

Shadoninja

Quote from: Mayor Duffy on September 10, 2011, 01:38:42 PMI have duet for the game corner music from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum on Finale Notepad but do you need Finale Print Music to save it as a .mp3 file?
the earliest finale version to export as mp3 is songwriter but we don't accept mp3s.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Cobraroll

^I don't think your Phantom Ensemble should be a replacement. It's fully legal according to the site rules to have both a solo and a duet of the same song, and as the version on site is a beautiful duet, this should go as a separate submission. We should have them both up.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Nebbles

I think a Platinum section might work, actually, due to the different themes the Battle Frontier has, and your villa you get post-game has its own music too.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel