Spitllama's arrangements (Paper Mario TTYD "Story of The Thousand-Year Door")

Started by spitllama, August 17, 2011, 05:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

spitllama

"Closing Battle," the theme for the battle with Count Bleck at the end of the game, has been completed. I love being done with midterms!

As always, critiques are welcomed :)

[ZIP]

Next up is another 25th anniversary track- Kakariko Village. It took a while for this song to grow on me, but it's pretty great.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bespinben

That's funny, I immediately loved the 25th anniversary Kakariko Village first time I heard it. Those litte piano/harp riffs just added an extra little bit of magic to it.

Never played Paper Mario, but that piece you arranged was pretty active. Nice job ;)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

spitllama

Thanks! I think I can see myself improving with each new arrangement.

And you have GOT to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It's the second in the series and is my #1 favorite game of all genres, consoles, series... anything. It's like PMD for you :P
Submissions Page

Bespinben

Quote from: spitllama on March 01, 2012, 05:23:59 PMAnd you have GOT to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It's like PMD for you :P

That's a very convincing argument. I may just have to try it out.

Shadoninja

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
King Dedede's Theme

A very nice arrangement good work.

I think C Minor would be a better key to use since all those unnecessary double sharps are a headache.

M22 - Reverse the tied Eighth and Half note.
M24, 26 - Should be an eighth tied to a dotted half note.
M31 - Highly recommended that you do not use Dotted Eighth/Dotted Eighth/Eighth rhythm.
M64 - Reverse the tied Eighth and Half note.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Thanks for your comments Shado.

m24,26- I'm not sure what you mean. What is there to tie?

m31- I remember you saying something about this in someone else's piece. What's the alternative?
Submissions Page

spitllama

Just finished "Sunset Colosseum" from Pokemon Battle Rev. After Dudeman did Mysterial's Theme I just had to do it.

This one is kind of "meh." I dunno if it's the song itself or just my arranging skills but it's just not impressive. Critiques! Suggestions! All of them are most welcomed!

[ZIP]

Next up is "Gerudo Valley" from the 25th anniversary CD. I'm excited for this one!
Submissions Page

Bespinben

I don't think that the Sunset Colosseum song itself is bad, it's just that some parts of it don't translate well to the piano (like echoey, reverby techno synth run at the start). However, I think the real problem is that console "Stadium"-esque Pokémon games stopped making re-arrangements of tunes from the main handheld games since Pokémon Stadium 2. That's why most OSTs from them are fairly "meh" now (at least that what I think).

Oh, and 25th Anniversary "Gerudo Valley" is awesome. Good luck with that!

spitllama

Ok. Thanks Bespinben.

I don't think I've ever had as much fun arranging as with this one. 128 measures, done in less than 24 hrs. Spring Break rocks :P or I just need a life

"Gerudo Valley"
[ZIP]

Next is "Wind Temple" from LoZ: WW
Submissions Page

Bloop

I like it, but there are two things I want to point out:

1. Can you change the "dotted-quarter note, dotted-quarter note, quarter note" rhythms like in measure 47 into "dotted-quarter note. 8th note tied to quarter note, quarter note"? That is somewhat easier to read.
2. You can also add a "rit." to the end of the song

spitllama

1) Fixed

2) There was a ritardando, on measure 126 :P Playback just doesn't get affected much.

Updated! Also changed some dynamics and an incorrect triplet. (Not sure how I missed that one)

Submissions Page

pumpy_heart

I think he meant a ritardando instead of what you currently had.

Great arrangement. A few rather empty spots, are you sure there's no other parts going on you could incorporate, since this is an orchestral arrangement?
Every time you use F natural, it should be E#. Since it's in F# minor, E# goes to F# smoother than F natural does to F#. Sometimes, you have a quarter note or dotted note divide the measure. Rather, anything from beat 2 carrying to beat 3 should show a clear beat 3. This is true of all duple meters.

spitllama

Actually, I'd appreciate it if you could point out the voices I missed. Listening to it at the end it didn't feel very full, but I couldn't find things to incorporate.

And okay I will fix those other parts.
Submissions Page

pumpy_heart

I hadn't heard the original in the while, just seemed a bit empty. There's a high violin line around 63. The whole orchestra supports chords at 79 for that section. Possibly the loudest section in the piece there. Tons of flute runs from 107 until the closing bit. So you have most of it, just a few more lines you can add that would greatly increase the contrast in your arrangement.