News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

First arrangement help

Started by spitllama, August 09, 2011, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

I've never attempted anything close to transcription before so this is new stuff to me. I started on Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door "Shadow Siren Battle" since it had an easy tune, but I'm seriously missing some key concepts here. Firstly I can't figure out the key signature since (for some reason) I set it to F minor. Secondly I don't really understand what would go in the left hand (I'm thinking the timpani's notes as octaves), and thirdly am I even on the right track? ???

The song link is here.

I couldn't save it since it's a demo [hence the picture]

Thank you
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Brassman388

triforced1

You could use the timpani as the bass. That's probably what I'd do.

Shadoninja

it might not have a key signature because it sounds very chromatic.
I think the timpani would work well but it's not playing octaves. in the second phrase you could put that synth part in the bass.
it looks like you have the right idea.

because it's chromatic, when a part is moving down use flats and when it's moving up use sharps.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Submissions Page

Brassman388

Brassman388

I did the intro for you. You can interpret it anyway you want. I believe there is no key sig. Good luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/?459o32u1dgkl1up

spitllama

Much obliged Brassman. How were you able to determine the bass line for the intro though? I only hear the main melody and that clicking even when slowing it down on 'Transcribe!'
Submissions Page

Brassman388

It just takes practice, lots and lots of practice. Compare between the two. Listen for little nuances within each tone.

Always remember, every tone plays an important role. If you can figure out the top then middle, you can surely figure out the bottom.

Shadoninja

having a good pair of headphones helps too.

Brassman388

spitllama

All right I'm having a hell of a time figuring out the bass line on a part of this song. It's at 0:28 on the above posted video. Even slowing down the tune, the bass is so low I can't get the notes.
Submissions Page

fingerz

Quote from: Shadoninja on August 09, 2011, 08:52:23 PMhaving a good pair of headphones helps too.
Oh, so true. There's no way in hell you can arrange awesomely without good headphones... Anyone know a set that I could get? :)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Shadoninja

I had a good pair of RCA hp450's that lasted me around 6-8 months.

Brassman388

Quote from: spitllama on August 15, 2011, 08:52:41 AMAll right I'm having a hell of a time figuring out the bass line on a part of this song. It's at 0:28 on the above posted video. Even slowing down the tune, the bass is so low I can't get the notes.

I guess I could look at it.