News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

Tips for jumps in pieces?

Started by spitllama, August 04, 2011, 06:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

I've noticed that a specific flaw I have in my piano skills is not being able to do jumps. One example is in Fingerz "Dusk Forest" here under Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. I've noticed this issue come up in some classical pieces as well. Beginning at measure 9, the left hand moves from a single note to a chord further up above. Are there any tips you guys have for something like this while trying to keep up with the tempo? And what about when the notes aren't as repetitive/consistent as in Dusk Forest?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

Ohoho this is the main reason I love Joplin, he has a lot of leaps in the left hand in his pieces

Nothing to do but keep practicing, I'm afraid, at a slower speed. It will come to you eventually, especially if you happen to have big hands. Makes things way easier.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

Just as SlowPokemon said. Just practice the jumps at a slow tempo until you've got a good muscle memory built.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

fingerz

Quote from: spitllama on August 04, 2011, 06:03:09 PMI've noticed that a specific flaw I have in my piano skills is not being able to do jumps. One example is in Fingerz "Dusk Forest" here under Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. I've noticed this issue come up in some classical pieces as well. Beginning at measure 9, the left hand moves from a single note to a chord further up above. Are there any tips you guys have for something like this while trying to keep up with the tempo? And what about when the notes aren't as repetitive/consistent as in Dusk Forest?
;D Does this mean you're learning it? YAY!

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 04, 2011, 06:23:48 PMOhoho this is the main reason I love Joplin, he has a lot of leaps in the left hand in his pieces

Nothing to do but keep practicing, I'm afraid, at a slower speed. It will come to you eventually, especially if you happen to have big hands. Makes things way easier.
I agree. I play lots of Joplin and I have awesome muscle memory for jumps like that. There still hard though. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

spitllama

@ Slow- thanks
@ Fingerz- Yes :)
@ The world- How do you determine the key of a song just from listening to it? Seems extremely difficult
Submissions Page

fingerz

Quote from: spitllama on August 04, 2011, 07:04:02 PM@ The world- How do you determine the key of a song just from listening to it? Seems extremely difficult
Here's my suggestions:
1) Try playing the main tune (or some of it) on the piano and take notice of how many sharps/flats you use when playing. I did that with my first arrangement which had all six flats in it. :S
2) Arrange a couple of bars in whatever software you're using and determine the key signature by the amount of sharps/flats you've used. Then change it.
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Flamewire

Quote from: fingerz on August 04, 2011, 07:08:42 PMHere's my suggestions:
1) Try playing the main tune (or some of it) on the piano and take notice of how many sharps/flats you use when playing. I did that with my first arrangement which had all six flats in it. :S
2) Arrange a couple of bars in whatever software you're using and determine the key signature by the amount of sharps/flats you've used. Then change it.

Number one is what I do. Write down notes as you go, and figure out the major/minor scale pattern with them. Figuring out the first note of the scale shouldn't be very hard - if you're playing the main melody, try to improvise an ending for the piece, and figure out where you naturally want to end it. Your mind and ears instinctively want the piece to end on the tonic pitch (first note of the scale).

spitllama

Submissions Page

Jub3r7

There were also huge jumps in the Lost Woods Virtuoso piece, but I've got the hang of it now at a decent speed.

I'm just getting stuck on the third page where is goes into four note chords on each hand really fast. -.-
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Olimar12345

Quote from: spitllama on August 04, 2011, 07:04:02 PM@ The world- How do you determine the key of a song just from listening to it? Seems extremely difficult

You've just got to find tonic-that note will be the key sig. Pieces usually end on it.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SWMadness

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of practice.

For a few songs, I've had to rehearse them to the point of memorization in order to watch my hands and do the jumps consistently (especially for my left hand, which has always been weaker for me). Once you've developed the muscle memory, it comes a lot easier.

Shadoninja

I hope spit doesn't mind if I ask a related question.
is there a proper technique for left hand jumps? I can perform them with relative accuracy but my left wrist tends to hurt after about 10 minutes of playing.

some examples of pieces I can play that demonstrate what I mean:

Festival 1
Mineral Town
A Break in Action

Festival 1 and A Break in Action are particularly straining due to their one-step nature.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

fingerz

Really? Well, I have that problem with my right hand. I'm left-handed, so that could be it. :P